The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Upgrading the 1.8i engine on the MGF (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296854)

erikwgraver 23rd June 2019 10:02

Upgrading the 1.8i engine on the MGF

Good morning!

I thougt I'd by an MGF not too far in the forseeable future. The 1.8 120 bhp is quite reasonably priced here in Sweden, while the 1.8 VVT is a bit expensive compared to other cars.

The first thing I would do after getting one, would be to leave the car with a skilled mechanic I know, for the ultimate head gasket replacement. The kit is available, as most of you will know, at dmgrs.co.uk. This means not only replacing the head gasket, but installing new cam bolts and oil rails as well. I've already done this with a Rover 75 1.8T, it worked brilliantly.

So, the question is:

While he's at it, I thought he could might as well enhance the performance of the engine. How about upgrading it to a VVT, is it possible and how is it done? Getting VVT cam shafts and inlet manifold pherhaps?

I also wonder if there are anything else that can be done. Once the top is of, what about porting it? There are probably several induction kits available on the market as well. Or why not go wild and crazy and swap the engine to a 1.8 turbo, if it will fit!

What are your thought on this, and are there anything else than can be done?

Thoughts and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Yours sincerely,
Erik Graver

marinabrian 23rd June 2019 10:12

The VVC has different pistons, different cylinder head, and if the car is a MEMS 1.9 ECM it will need an entire wiring loom swap, as well.

My advice is not to bother ;)

Brian :D

FLYING BANANA 23rd June 2019 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikwgraver (Post 2742649)
Good morning!

I thougt I'd by an MGF not too far in the forseeable future. The 1.8 120 bhp is quite reasonably priced here in Sweden, while the 1.8 VVT is a bit expensive compared to other cars.

The first thing I would do after getting one, would be to leave the car with a skilled mechanic I know, for the ultimate head gasket replacement. The kit is available, as most of you will know, at dmgrs.co.uk. This means not only replacing the head gasket, but installing new cam bolts and oil rails as well. I've already done this with a Rover 75 1.8T, it worked brilliantly.

So, the question is:

While he's at it, I thought he could might as well enhance the performance of the engine. How about upgrading it to a VVT, is it possible and how is it done? Getting VVT cam shafts and inlet manifold pherhaps?

I also wonder if there are anything else that can be done. Once the top is of, what about porting it? There are probably several induction kits available on the market as well. Or why not go wild and crazy and swap the engine to a 1.8 turbo, if it will fit!

What are your thought on this, and are there anything else than can be done?

Thoughts and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Yours sincerely,
Erik Graver

The Turbo 1.8t will fit but you need to modify the petrol tank to accommodate the turbo.

Contact MJSAUTOANDMARINE.CO.UK as they have done quite a few turbo conversions. They currently are building a TF with a MG 6 N series engine with a Turbo conversion.

erikwgraver 23rd June 2019 10:32

Thanks, good to know!

mbonwick 23rd June 2019 12:53

Quite decent power gains can be had without going down the turbo route.

Have a look at www.dvapower.co.uk

erikwgraver 23rd June 2019 15:37

Thank you!

pletevl 25th June 2019 12:23

But a TF turbo goes like stink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHNAnM976w

erikwgraver 26th June 2019 08:44

Thanks! Will go for the less expensive option I think.

Phil-Hex 26th June 2019 12:18

a lot depends on the year of the car, if a MEMS1.9 than a decent enclosed induction kit or the air box from a later TF160 with cold air feed will make a good difference, along with a freer flowing exhaust.

If a later MEMS3 car you could have a remapped ecu sent out by Kmaps which will liven it up a bit.
To get big gains though costs quite a bit on the k series so could be worth getting the vvc (143bhp) or ideally the 160vvc trophy as a starting point, after that the options become turbos and engine transplants