The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Advice on a satnav (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291515)

Russp 1st January 2019 17:40

Advice on a satnav

Has anyone these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgrade-Ver.../dp/B07921W2LL

I've never been a great lover of satnav but this seems good value and I think look good in the car
The only thing I've noticed with satnav in a works pool car they don't have traffic like on phones which is very handy.
Has anyone had any experience with these or can recommend a similar unit , one thing I must have is a USB port as I have all my music on memory sticks

Cheers

Sjonnie 2nd January 2019 12:44

The unit looks decent but so do all these China branded devices that seem to come from one factory.

This unit however *will not fit* in a 75 or a ZT. The units casing is too big.

Look for cheap custom E46 like this

Or maybe one of these?

Russp 3rd January 2019 11:25

Thanks for that , do I take it that although the BM E46 says double did, it's actually smaller.
Those navell star ones? Are they any good and still available?
When I got the car it came with a double din faceplate which I assume is BMW E46 double din

suzublu 3rd January 2019 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2699407)
Thanks for that , do I take it that although the BM E46 says double did, it's actually smaller.
Those navell star ones? Are they any good and still available?
When I got the car it came with a double din faceplate which I assume is BMW E46 double din

I wouldn't bother with the Navall Star as there is no longer any back-up. Any double din will fit if you have a cage & a faceplate

Sjonnie 3rd January 2019 11:44

Hi Russ,

The units I presented are called double din but are actually single din chassis with a double din face plate. So yes these do fit although you have to cut of the ears of the face plate for the unit to fit (so test run first to see if it works before fitting;))

NavAll was a "brand" sold by Sean / Radioguy. He has been banned from this forum because he cheated guys out of their money. So I guess you don't want them. The Star particularly seemed to have rather a lot of problems.

I am not sure what face plate you got at this moment. If it is a standard after market fascia you could look for units with a reduced depth. There are a few threads on this forum that can tell you what the maximum depth is. Feel free to search ;)

If you are looking for a Chinese unit you might consider Eonon or Xtrons. Both are what you might call premium Chinese brands a bit more expensive but better supported than brands like Wondefoo or MongWeed. :confused:
I have an Eonon in my X-Type and an Xtrons in my ZT-T. Xtrons are sold by a forum member who has his shop on eBay and the net (www.androidice.co.uk). Decent guy with good support so recommended.

Hope this helps :)

Russp 3rd January 2019 12:27

Thanks for that. I looked at the one linked because it looks kind of period for the car will that not actually fit because of depth ?
On a slightly different note are parking cams and microphones universal?

Sjonnie 3rd January 2019 12:56

I think this will look even better for our kind of cars (including period :-) ):

https://www.zt-t.nl/piwigo/i.php?/up...571d7db-th.jpg

Parking cams (I think you mean rear viewing cams) and microphones are not universal. It basically depends on the type of connector. Most cams can be connected but some require some fiddling. In regard to the microphone you should watch the impedance (not sure if that is the correct word :S)

EDIT: This is the rear view cam I used on my ZT-T. It works OK. It is connected to the video input called rear cam on my units loom.
https://www.zt-t.nl/piwigo/i.php?/up...c0ec55c-th.jpg

Russp 3rd January 2019 16:43

That looks really good shame it has no slot for a USB stick.
Does modern satnav show traffic?

Sjonnie 4th January 2019 05:42

Hi Russ,

The usb stick is hidden in the glove department. I don't like sticks sticking out of my dash, do you? ;-)

The Xtrons (the photo is of the NavAll but they look almost identical) has three USB ports at the back. I use one for DAB+, one for the rear view camera and one for the stick. I mostly use the micro SD card to listen to music though :-)

Edit: traffic is only possible when you are on-line as far as I know. I don't believe it has TMC (but unsure at this point)

Russp 4th January 2019 10:52

Cheers for that, those little USB sticks well more of a bubble are fine as you can move from car to car

Simulator 7th January 2019 20:36

Hi Sjonnie

That was an interesting thread of yours, I have been trying to contact Radioguy several times without success and wondered why - now I know. As far as the Navall Star is concerned, I wish I had never bothered to buy one, continual problems with radio not locking onto stations and DVR recording onto both sd card and the music usb and mostly not playing back so pretty useless. Anyway thanks for your info.

Simulator

Sjonnie 8th January 2019 17:05

Hi Simulator,

Thanks! :}

In case you are considering replacing the Star I suggest contacting Julian (Jubbarelly) He's selling Xtrons and provides great service (I am having some minor issues with mine and he is being very supportive). No affiliation though ;)

Ross R75 9th January 2019 21:27

I have an xtrons full face double din unit in my car. Brilliant sound quality and I use Waze on it from the Google app store for navigation. Traffic info is up to the second when tethered to your phone, including potholes, breakdowns, speed traps, the works.

Russp 11th January 2019 09:00

Have you got a link to one please

Ross R75 11th January 2019 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2701450)
Have you got a link to one please

This is mine, but you can get 8-core versions now too. This works fine for me: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F143013945913

Sjonnie 11th January 2019 10:39

I have this one: https://www.androidice.co.uk/index.p...-75-mg-zt.html

Absolutely love the look and no extra fascia (saving a few pounds) and an no hassle wiring because all the adapters specific to our cars are included :D

From Jubbarelly of course :}

Russp 11th January 2019 15:38

Cheers for the links
Does the latter one require a sim card, and can the first one be used as a radio and USB player without the phone being present?

Sjonnie 11th January 2019 15:54

I am not sure what you want exactly but the Xtrons I referred to does not require a SIM to operate. If you want TMC you need a mobile phone to tether with. Or you might consider a 3G/4G dongle.

Dallas 11th January 2019 16:01

The universal DD from Amazon you have linked in your first post will fit your 75/ZT, you will need a CT23RO01 Double DIN Facia Plate, also the correct loom etc.

I have the same generic DD which is Android, you can get them a lot cheaper from time to time, its just a case of doing your homework. :}

The after-market E46 units are also generic Chinese electronics, you just pay more money for the same tat just because of the E46 design. Its the same with any of the after-market direct fit equipment for all marques, you pay more for the privilege. :duh:

Here is my universal android DD.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...0ab41119ce.jpg

Ross R75 11th January 2019 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2701562)
Cheers for the links
Does the latter one require a sim card, and can the first one be used as a radio and USB player without the phone being present?

Neither use a sim card, you can use a 4G dongle or use wireless hot-spot on your phone. I'd recommend the hot-spot option. Both can be used for radio and USB without any phone connection. I already had an ISO cable fitted for the previous stereo. That, and a double din facia at about £5 on ebay is all you need. You don't need TMC, because Google maps and waze both have live traffic when connected to the Internet.

Sound quality on all of the Xtrons units is about twenty times better than standard. The software equaliser and DSP are excellent.

Russp 11th January 2019 16:16

These android units are something I didn't know existed but look very interesting.
Do they link to a phone via Bluetooth or cable? Cable would probably be better to save battery life as my S7 isn't great
If you have a 4g dongle does that mean you can get info such as traffic on the screen but puzzles me how it would get the maps.
Sorry to be a bit vague but technology is not my strong point

Russp 11th January 2019 16:41

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-8...edirect=mobile

Is this similar as I like the rotary volume control, not sure if this supports the diagnostic adaptor that the other ones have

Russp 11th January 2019 20:13

I have ordered the one that's for our cars.
Thanks for the help

Russp 17th January 2019 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie (Post 2699441)
I think this will look even better for our kind of cars (including period :-) ):

https://www.zt-t.nl/piwigo/i.php?/up...571d7db-th.jpg

Parking cams (I think you mean rear viewing cams) and microphones are not universal. It basically depends on the type of connector. Most cams can be connected but some require some fiddling. In regard to the microphone you should watch the impedance (not sure if that is the correct word :S)

EDIT: This is the rear view cam I used on my ZT-T. It works OK. It is connected to the video input called rear cam on my units loom.
https://www.zt-t.nl/piwigo/i.php?/up...c0ec55c-th.jpg

I got an Xtron which turned up yesterday looks good but not sure if I need an adapter loom for it?

Sjonnie 17th January 2019 18:19

Hi Russ,

It depends on the unit you have now. I had a Highline and I just used the loom with the iso connectors. Some have the BMW connector but you should have gotten an adapter for that.

So it all boils down to removing the current unit and look for the connectors/loom that are/is present ;)

Russp 17th January 2019 19:30

Cheers, mine had BMW connectors so I cut them off and soldered and shrink wrapped ISO connectors on

suzublu 17th January 2019 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2703259)
Cheers, mine had BMW connectors so I cut them off and soldered and shrink wrapped ISO connectors on

Couple of quid:cool: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XqMAA...UUP/s-l300.jpg

Russp 17th January 2019 19:55

Went to halfords and had all sorts of connectors but unfortunately not that one

Sjonnie 18th January 2019 14:33

Well... then now is the time to ask for a picture of the final result :drool4:

Russp 18th January 2019 19:53

1 Attachment(s)
Got a couple of issues, it won't talk to diagnostic socket transmitter and doesn't hold it's memory will investigate tomorrow

Sjonnie 19th January 2019 16:03

That's weird! Especially the fact that you can't communicate with your OBD2 adapter :shrug:

I too am having some problems with the unit remembering settings. In my case it is only the USB connections (stick, DVR and DAB+) that are causing problems...:getmecoat:

RoverLord 21st January 2019 19:58

Respect and Kudos for the ones who can install such an all-in-one modern radio in his Rover.

I retrieved my serial number from my alpine radio :duh: Thanks to Youtube, I could handle this.

But this thing? Too many wires, cables and unfortunately nothing for me.

But it looks so premium!!!!

Russp 22nd January 2019 08:32

Getting there with it ,yesterday the OBD adaptor decided to kiss and make up and are now talking, before I was getting a message saying they weren't talking
Memory problem was our cars seem to have switched and permanent live the opposite way round
Only problem now is reversing camera giving me error symbol when reverse selected

Julian at android ice has been very helpful but can't help thinking manual could be a bit more comprehensive.
I'm currently waiting for a sim adaptor as not keen on screen mirroring as a way to use sat nav
I have been using my phone as a WiFi hotspot but think it better to have a sim

Sjonnie 22nd January 2019 16:51

As for the camera: I have taken 12V from the reverse light positive wire in the rear light unit. I have the yellow RCA cable connected to pos 21 in below picture:

https://www.zt-t.nl/piwigo/i.php?/up...74c95cd-th.png

Works like a charm :D

Russp 22nd January 2019 16:59

Interesting I was told by Julian at Android ice to use pin 4
All I get is a small triangle warning in middle of screen
Thanks for that

Sjonnie 22nd January 2019 17:24

I don't know which camera you have. A lot of these cameras have a red wire at both ends of the yellow RCA cable. It might be possible to route power through that wire from front to back.

I have different camera (wireless) but I used to connect the wired camera on my NavAll 1 the same way as i described in my previous post. Should also work on your camera.:}

Russp 22nd January 2019 17:27

The red wire connects to reverse light positive at rear and wire 17 at front
I'm going to try your suggestion for different video input in the morning

Cheers

Sjonnie 23rd January 2019 16:13

I don't exactly understand how you connected your camera but I will try to explain with my limited knowledge of English how I connected mine.

The camera has a black and red wire and an RCA connector. The black goes to ground, the red to 12V+ in the rear light unit (reverse light bulb socket). The red wire that comes out of the RCA cable that transports the video signal to the front is not used.

At the front you have the same RCA cable also with a red wire I think. If so that red wire is also not used.

That should do the trick.

I hope I wrote it down in an understandable way :getmecoat:

Russp 23rd January 2019 18:00

Mine just has the red ,that is connected to reverse light positive at rear and the front red wire goes to the lone reverse camera wire on radio
I tried the other RCA connection this morning to no avail
Looks like camera is defective and to top it all the sim dongle is also defective thought it was the sim but they tested it in Vodaphone shop and confirmed it as the dongle
Thanks for your help