The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Does originality really count? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302158)

admiralalcatraz 15th January 2020 18:00

Does originality really count?

How much do you think originality matters?

I have a 2000 1.8 Club SE, that has never been modified or altered, even still has the original Phillips-Harmony cassette player. I intent to keep it that way.

However those that are following the 'Saving Private Puddles' thread on here will know I have recently been given a 2004 Contemporary T by 2750 hp with a blown head gasket. Now I have found out that the head gasket has been done twice before, provided the head has been slimmed twice before I don't feel 100% comfortable skimming again and putting another head gasket in again.

So my plan is (I think ;)) to fit a MG 6 N series engine. But I want to fit a set of MG grids, lower the suspension and get some kind of remap. I haven't ironed out the details I want to get everything together and running first.

But do you think that 'modifying' a car detracts from it? I am 30 years old and far from a 'boy racer' I am a strong believer in less is more.

Thanks Tom

Mike Trident 15th January 2020 18:10

If you are doing it for yourself, then go ahead, it's your car.

Originality will only matter (maybe) 30 years from now when it may or may not become a classic. Of course that's if we are allowed to drive any fossil fuelled car in a few years.

I would say, do whatever you want, tomorrow may never come.

suzublu 15th January 2020 18:19

There's not enough room on the page for me to list the mods I've done:eek::D

Rogue 15th January 2020 18:39

I'm in a kinda 50/50 situation with this.... Although i've fitted leathers to my 2000 classic they are early Cowley leathers to suit the car, no rear bolsters and no buttons to lower the reat seat back and it might just be me but it feels like thicker leather than later seats i've seen. Projector headlights but i waited for a nice set of Halogens to become available rather than Xenons as these wern't available when she was made and other than an Xtrons head unit (kept the original so it can go back in if needed) the rest of the car is pretty original.

I'm not choosing to do this out of any perceived thoughts of extra value somewhere down the line but i am trying to keep any upgrades sympathetic to her Cowley heritage as there are getting fewer Cowleys left now however the old bus is a daily driver for work and pleasure so i completely understand modding these cars to suit your own taste's and requirements and i wouldn't blame anyone for doing so :)

jackatesme 15th January 2020 18:45

I am 74,my connie se,has beige leather seats and door cards from black leather,real wood walnut dash,walnut gear knob and hand brake,auto dimming mirror and rear blind. All added by me to make it more attractive to me.:}

macafee2 15th January 2020 18:48

perhaps only important if you intend to sell or enter a competition but I think it depends on the mods, some are a nice addition while others are not so nice.

Does electric memory seats detract when manual was original? Do puddle lights detract?

It is your car and you should do what makes you happy, not what makes anyone else happy.

macafee2

trikey 15th January 2020 18:57

As long as the car is on the road then its a thumbs up from me ;)

gnu 15th January 2020 19:03

I think you should inspect the head and block before condemning it. That said, I think a N series engine is a sensible addition if you need a new engine.

Modding is up to you. I’ve just done the reliability stuff - scuttle grid, handbrake compensator, fuel filter clip etc. Also a new radio as my passages demand cd, aux, usb etc. Otherwise I’m happy.

admiralalcatraz 15th January 2020 19:34

My Cowley Club SE, I want to keep original purely because I want it still be in here in 30 years but as a really clean original car so it becomes a 'classic' and is seen maybe a bit more like P6s are now. A step in automotive history if you will. Plus I wont even drive it in the winter.

The contemporary I want to use more often and through winter (though it will be undersealed well) and just make it something a little more exciting than standard, something a bit more like a ZT but not a ZT :duh:

FLYING BANANA 16th January 2020 12:15

Loads of non standard parts on the Banana.

But the Bear is poverty spec. Barring the supercharger, walnut dashboard and steering wheel, mud flaps and the xpower back boxes the car is as it came out of the factory. I have no desire to add anymore modifications.