The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   To flush or not to flush ... that is the question. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291375)

gadget1960 28th December 2018 17:05

To flush or not to flush ... that is the question.

Aside from doing the bottom mount this weekend, while the car is in the air it will be getting an oil/filter change.
Also ... I know this can be a controversial subject but do diesels in particular respond well to flushing just before an oil change? (bearing in mind just how black the oil gets). Whats the views on using 10% of auto transmission fluid as the flush? ( at least it is an oil with strong detergent properties rather than just a oil stripping flush ... or so I have read). Only asking as I have read sooooo much on the subject over many years from diy'ers and pro's alike and no real definitive answers.
I know there is no real substitute for regular oil changes but as the condition of the whole inlet tract was so full of crud, does the engine oil internals not suffer in a similar way?
Any views / experience in this field would very much appreciated.
Thanks.

roverbarmy 28th December 2018 17:10

I ran a haulage fleet for many years and we never used flushes. Just regular oil changes, even on the stop,start vehicles. Never had a problem.

MSS 28th December 2018 18:09

Whenever I acquire a new car, I just do an oil/filter change and repeat it a few hundred miles later.

In my opinion that is the safest type of oil flush for any car and worth doing.

COLVERT 28th December 2018 18:13

The oil in a diesel Rover does its own flushing if changed at sensible mileages.--( Max. 10,000 miles or less. )

bl52krz 28th December 2018 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2697709)
I ran a haulage fleet for many years and we never used flushes. Just regular oil changes, even on the stop,start vehicles. Never had a problem.

As an adjunct to the above post. I used to change my engine oil at work over the pit.When I had the Montego turbo diesel, at around 90,000 miles or so, can not remember exactly, I decided to take the sump off to have a look-see how filthy everything was. I had a shock when I looked, it was like a mirror in there. Only used straight 30 grade oil. So when I hear about ‘flushing out the engine’ in a diesel, I have a little laugh. If you change the oil regular, that is all that is needed. Don’t waste your money. The amount of detergent in the oil will keep it clean if changed regularly.

topman 28th December 2018 19:04

If you want to then do it, I doubt it will do any harm. Equally I doubt there's any really benefit from doing it.

trikey 28th December 2018 19:09

I have flushed our diesels a few times, does no harm, the oil never stays clean anyway!

Les4048 28th December 2018 19:43

We’ve started flushing our tractors at work and the guys have noticed after filling the engine with fresh oil and after starting it up and checking the dipstick the oil is much cleaner. So I’m assuming the flush is doing it’s job and loosening all the impurities and removing them from the engine

tantallon 28th December 2018 20:11

Be careful with flushing .It tends to loosen the crud and can block oilways .Modern oils if changed as per specification will be fine .More important is the using of good quality oil .Along with quality filters .Dont scrimp on either!

bl52krz 28th December 2018 22:30

Hi Andy. No harm is done if people want to flush out the engine oil with oil, or in some circumstances a mixture of diesel? Eh, and lubricating oil, just that I think in my experience it is really a waste of time and money.