The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOT fail (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301321)

marinabrian 7th December 2019 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbrooks (Post 2780246)
Wow. This is such a good idea. If it works . If the rods are broken what's the best way to replace and make good again?

I have lots of spare time, so I can take my time and hopefully restore. I'm feeling more up-beat about it today after receiving so many helpful posts!
thank you Brian
:xmas-smiley-008::xmas-smiley-008::xmas-smiley-008:

Easiest way is to buy something like this LINK and use the back shell and adjusters, fitting the projector innards and front lens to the back part ;)

One out of two, I've done this on a few occasions now when repairing Mk2 projectors with broken mounting lugs, using MK1 reflector housings ;)

Brian :D

robbrooks 7th December 2019 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2780122)
This can be repaired Rob, you just have to dismantle a standard light to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if Stocktake supplies MK1 headlights. I can fix the projector with the broken adjuster then? Simples?

robbrooks 7th December 2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2780134)
I had to do that as well on a set of Chinese projectors Rick, I think they were Bluejons if I recall correctly (was a long time ago)

I believe my headlight advertised as new was Chinese, but in a Rimmers box to fool me! It's on its way back to GL Autos in Nuneaton as I write. Beware of these fake projectors from China- they look the same, but such a pain when matching the power plugs!!!!!
:xmas-smiley-008::xmas-smiley-008:

robbrooks 15th December 2019 16:53

Tomorrow is the big day for the re-test

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbrooks (Post 2780119)
I know Big Russ - he did my remap. I have 2 new headlamps on order, but will check with Russ if I have any further issues.

After spending hours renovating my headlamps, courtesy of Stocktate, and co., I have finally got the car ready for it's retest. I must add that I didn't find the hair dryer method of removing the front lenses very good. I think it may have been OK in summer with a higher start temperature, the hair dryer cut out before it melted the sealant. I decided on the other method of placing the headlamps in the oven at 125 deg C for 5 minutes. This worked a treat! You do have to watch it and don't allow the temperature to go too high!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

sworks 15th December 2019 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2780134)
I had to do that as well on a set of Chinese projectors Rick, I think they were Bluejons if I recall correctly (was a long time ago)

It probably was Andy, I looked at them and the connectors just wouldn’t fit

stocktake 15th December 2019 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbrooks (Post 2781574)
After spending hours renovating my headlamps, courtesy of Stocktate, and co., I have finally got the car ready for it's retest. I must add that I didn't find the hair dryer method of removing the front lenses very good. I think it may have been OK in summer with a higher start temperature, the hair dryer cut out before it melted the sealant. I decided on the other method of placing the headlamps in the oven at 125 deg C for 5 minutes. This worked a treat! You do have to watch it and don't allow the temperature to go too high!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just glad I could help, the headlights have been sat in my shed for a while. Better they help somebody out than collect dust. :)