The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to replace bushes on 3 speed fan (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294123)

phenonix 21st March 2019 04:36

How to replace bushes on 3 speed fan

Hi,
As above
is there a how to, with pictures....on how to replace the bushes on the 3 speed fan?
Thanks in advance!

SD1too 21st March 2019 08:35

Hi Joe,

If you search under the user name Arctic you will find lots of helpful pictures which tell the story.

By the way, they're called brushes because they sweep around the commutator. A bush is a simple type of bearing which, of course, is entirely different.

Buy them from Engineering Carbon Products Ltd. in the U.K. because these are based upon the OEM component and were developed with the assistance of club member Greeners and me! You'll need to buy a set of four and unfortunately the cost of international postage is rather high. However, you'll only need to do this job once. The alternative is e-bay but there have been reports that these only last five minutes so this option is not recommended.

Simon

vitesse 21st March 2019 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2720688)
Hi Joe,

You'll need to buy a set of four and unfortunately the cost of international postage is rather high.

Simon

Thank you for acknowledging the high cost of international postage although I, and others, deem the cost to be unreasonably high. A classic example of British understatement.

Regards

stevestrat 21st March 2019 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenonix (Post 2720666)
Hi,
As above
is there a how to, with pictures....on how to replace the bushes on the 3 speed fan?
Thanks in advance!

This thread covers a lot of fan issues and includes how to replace the brushes by T-Cut: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=109061

Ennine 21st March 2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2720688)
By the way, they're called brushes because they sweep around the commutator.

Simon

One could infer from this that the brushes move.

T-Cut 21st March 2019 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ennine (Post 2720724)
One could infer from this that the brushes move.

Relativistically, that's correct.

Ennine 21st March 2019 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2720726)
Relativistically, that's correct.

Oh dear. Ok. moving on.

phenonix 21st March 2019 20:55

Thank you all for your replies, yes Simon i have already purchased the "brushes" :duh: from ECP UK, expensive...but no real alternative over here, there are just no second hand fans that i can find to cannabalise.

T-Cut 22nd March 2019 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ennine (Post 2720728)
Oh dear. Ok. moving on.

Sorry, I honestly thought your question about brushes was a joke. So no, the brushes are fixed in position and are in rubbing contact with the commutator. The commutator rotates as part of the armature, which has the fan blades fitted on the end of its central shaft. Power to the armature windings is supplied via the brushes.

From any point on the armature, the brushes appear to rotate around, it so the answer to your question was yes. That's what I meant by relativistically. (Blame Einstein.)

TC

Ennine 22nd March 2019 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2720993)
Sorry, I honestly thought your question about brushes was a joke. So no, the brushes are fixed in position and are in rubbing contact with the commutator. The commutator rotates as part of the armature, which has the fan blades fitted on the end of its central shaft. Power to the armature windings is supplied via the brushes.

From any point on the armature, the brushes appear to rotate around, it so the answer to your question was yes. That's what I meant by relativistically. (Blame Einstein.)

TC

That's ok. It wasn't really a question, just an observation that the uninitiated may think the brushes (originally copper brushes I believe, hence the term), actually rotated.