The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pets Corner, natter on all you like and post pics of your pets and pet problems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=50514)

Phil 24th May 2008 23:08

Pets Corner, natter on all you like and post pics of your pets and pet problems

Well, today I collected my puppy. He's an English Springer Spaniel. I've called him Oscar. Please, don't laugh, or if you do, don't tell me you have.;);)
(I'm useless at thinking of names.)
Anyway, this is the first dog I've had, since leaving home. Mother keeps Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
I'm a little worried about how he's going to react when left alone. He can't stand being alone and starts howling. Has anyone any advice they could offer me? I don't want the neighbours complaining.:)
As I'm off work til Tuesday, I plan to leave him for a bit at a time and see if he gets used to it.

andy 25th May 2008 09:07

you have got to be TOUGH

Give him something of your unwashed (smelly!) old clothes to bed down on,
it would have been good to have some bedding from the bitch to make him feel secure, but the big thing is do not sympathise, only go to him when he is quiet
The big thing with dog training is only reinforce behavior you want, and telling him to be quiet, is in dog terms attention, and its amazing how quickly they learn 'bad' things. Ignore him, dont even look at him if he is doing something unwanted.
With a pup smell is a big part of their life, so dont be in too much of a hurry to change his bedding.
Also I am a great believer in crate training, it is not in any way cruel and pays big dividends in times to come, the dog feels safe and secure as its his place, but dont use it as a punishment as that will defeat the object.
We always have made our dogs bed in a crate, it makes life so much easier.
Andy

GreyGhost 25th May 2008 09:16

Are we getting a Pic of this little Poop factory? :)

Blue Ghost 25th May 2008 09:41

shows us what he looks like

uk_dave&gill 25th May 2008 09:43

Best of luck with the new addition!

We've just got one as well - she's a Mini Chocolate Labradoodle and we've called her Madison. She's 8 weeks old and is tiny! She's great so far and is really bonding with her "sister", Charlie, who is a Standard 'Doodle

Could get some pics up if anyone is interested, but don't really want to hijack Phil's thread! (Here's an idea: Can we have a Pet's Corner forum?!)

I'm hopeless with puppy advice, but I could get Gill to give you some tips - she's a dab hand!

Phil 25th May 2008 09:44

Thanks Andy, I will get a pic up asap.

ColinB 25th May 2008 11:53

:wantpics:

Been wanting to do that for ages!:D

uk_dave&gill 25th May 2008 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinB (Post 189435)
:wantpics:

Been wanting to do that for ages!:D

I'll put some pup pics up, but should I start a new thread first?!

Phil 25th May 2008 16:20

I'm going to post mine in here....:lol:

GreyGhost 25th May 2008 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill (Post 189483)
I'll put some pup pics up, but should I start a new thread first?!

Keep them all in this one thread please or I will just have to move them in here. This thread is for pics and stories, advice etc. It is a sticky thread so you will always find it near the top of the social forum.