The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Paint mismatch (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=283670)

dauphin 21st May 2018 17:04

Paint mismatch

On my blue Tourer (Seafrost - JYA) there’s a slight but fairly obvious difference in colour between the bonnet and the rest of the paintwork. Here’s a link to a photo although, to be fair, it does make the difference appear somewhat greater than it actually is. Still, it’s enough to be quite annoying!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0V5oqs3qSp0GX

It would surely be rather unusual if the car had been in an accident such that only the bonnet, and none of the other panels, had to be replaced or resprayed, although I guess it’s possible that something dropped onto the bonnet from above at some stage!

I have T-cut and polished the bonnet just in case it had weathered differently from the other panels by being horizontal, but this hasn’t made any difference.

So is this a factory quality control issue and, if so, is it a common problem? I’d be intrigued to hear any other ideas.

klarzy 21st May 2018 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by dauphin (Post 2631993)
On my blue Tourer (Seafrost - JYA) there’s a slight but fairly obvious difference in colour between the bonnet and the rest of the paintwork. Here’s a link to a photo although, to be fair, it does make the difference appear somewhat greater than it actually is. Still, it’s enough to be quite annoying!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0V5oqs3qSp0GX

It would surely be rather unusual if the car had been in an accident such that only the bonnet, and none of the other panels, had to be replaced or resprayed, although I guess it’s possible that something dropped onto the bonnet from above at some stage!

I have T-cut and polished the bonnet just in case it had weathered differently from the other panels by being horizontal, but this hasn’t made any difference.

So is this a factory quality control issue and, if so, is it a common problem? I’d be intrigued to hear any other ideas.

Have you owned the car from new?
Many bonnets are resprayed because of scratches or stone chips...
If the rest of the car is UV effected then the bonnet could be sprayed perfectly well and just look different due to less UV..

Then again it may be painted with the wrong primer or incorrect number of top coats...

It quite common to see this now and I notice the same effect on 2 of my own Rovers as well as the likes of Flying Banana's front bumper and others...

BigRuss 21st May 2018 17:13

To me the bonnet looks Wedgwood blue, do you think it could have been changed at some point?

Russ

dauphin 21st May 2018 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by klarzy (Post 2631996)
Have you owned the car from new?
Many bonnets are resprayed because of scratches or stone chips...
If the rest of the car is UV effected then the bonnet could be sprayed perfectly well and just look different due to less UV..

Then again it may be painted with the wrong primer or incorrect number of top coats...

It quite common to see this now and I notice the same effect on 2 of my own Rovers as well as the likes of Flying Banana's front bumper and others...

No, only had it a couple of months and I don’t know its history. You could be right about it being resprayed due to scratches or chips, although I’d have thought that if a previous owner cared enough to have that done, they’d have kicked up a fuss when they saw the result!
The rest of the paintwork is good and the colour is quite vivid and bright.

dauphin 21st May 2018 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRuss (Post 2631999)
To me the bonnet looks Wedgwood blue, do you think it could have been changed at some point?

Russ

That did cross my mind, but I’m not sure the colour discrepancy is quite that great. I will have to bring it to an event and compare it to a Wedgwood car!

Heddy 21st May 2018 17:58

My last Wedgwood had a different colour roof, it looked JEL, (an early Wedgwood) compared to the rest in JBH (later Wedgwood) I've found it's always best, where possible, to change a panel/door/bonnet wherever possible, rather than risk a mismatch spray.

bl52krz 21st May 2018 18:31

My friend has a Wedgwood cdt. He had the rear bumper and a sill resprayed. The sill looks ok, but the bumper looks a different colour in certain lights. Both sprayed at the same time.

zedhed 21st May 2018 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2632033)
My friend has a Wedgwood cdt. He had the rear bumper and a sill resprayed. The sill looks ok, but the bumper looks a different colour in certain lights. Both sprayed at the same time.

Bumpers are always different shades anyway on any car.

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk

suzublu 21st May 2018 19:12

What colour is the bonnet underneath? If it's the same as the top, then I would suggest it's been replaced with a Wedgwood at some point, as Seafrost would've been harder to find:cool:

dauphin 21st May 2018 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2632064)
What colour is the bonnet underneath? If it's the same as the top, then I would suggest it's been replaced with a Wedgwood at some point, as Seafrost would've been harder to find:cool:

It’s pretty much the same as the top, but it’s obviously not possible (without removing the bonnet) to place the underside side by side with the wing in order to compare.
As I say, the photo somewhat exaggerates the colour mismatch, and I don’t honestly think the colour is so far off that it could be a different colour altogether. I was showing it to my neighbour this afternoon and he said he wouldn’t have noticed the difference, although he could see it once I’d pointed it out to him.