The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diesel Cold Air Intake (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86088)

Jakg 7th June 2011 16:51

Diesel Cold Air Intake

Anyone done any inventive cold air intakes on a diesel?

Would love to see some pictures...

Mines already had the air intake mk2 thing (i.e. cut the bellows out) but I think it's a really bad idea.

I'd love a direct feed to the bumper vents, but I'm far too worried about hydrolock

Any other suggestions?

COLVERT 7th June 2011 19:42

Fit up a BLOWER FAN ?????????????????????????

No response !!!
Guess the idea is too difficult to grasp. Lol.

keir1163 8th June 2011 06:25

shannon tube

In the how to section one member fitted a shannon type tube to the air filter box and ran it down to the air intake at the bottom passenger side of the bumper. Bad idea in flood water however.

when you cut the corrugated part out did it make a difference for you? i am about to do it

Jakg 10th June 2011 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by keir1163 (Post 737304)
when you cut the corrugated part out did it make a difference for you? i am about to do it

I bought the car with the intake mod already done, so i can't comment.

I did see this mentioned on the other side... can anyone confirm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_bonsai
I'm sure I read somewhere that the area of highest pressure is behind the headlights, and as such this is why the original set up for the V6's, mounts the venturi at the end of the shannon tube behind the passenger headlight inside the wing.

ceedy 10th June 2011 18:19

my 5 pee's worth . :}:}

I noticed a significant improvement in pull , when I removed my OEM fan.

It had been duff for a while and I took it off for 2 months or so to fit a VX bosch motor.

So without it obstructing 50% or so of the intercooler!! . a bit more whoosh was definately there to help the synergy /egr bpass etc ..

lost it when I put the fan back !! :(..

maybe we should all fit giant intercoolers :D:D :getmecoat:

Chris

Starman 10th June 2011 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakg (Post 738815)
I did see this mentioned on the other side... can anyone confirm?
Originally Posted by Mark_bonsai
I'm sure I read somewhere that the area of highest pressure is behind the headlights, and as such this is why the original set up for the V6's, mounts the venturi at the end of the shannon tube behind the passenger headlight inside the wing.

Yes I believe that's right Jack. The guys in the V8 forum go to great lengths to get the right spot for their bonnet vents to either fill or evacuate air in the engine bay.
The area in front of the windscreen being the lowest I think.

Regards. Steve.

James.uk 10th June 2011 18:49

I took the front part of my air intake off for a week, I detected no diff, so I put it back on.. :shrug: :}

COLVERT 10th June 2011 20:20

James, James. You have to DRIVE the car as well. Lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by James.uk (Post 738865)
I took the front part of my air intake off for a week, I detected no diff, so I put it back on.. :shrug: :}

ardvark 11th June 2011 10:42

I think the only way to solve this mystery once and for all is to put a car on the dyno and take a reading. Do the air intake mod and do another reading. Do the mod with the tube feeding from the bumper and take another reading. Members can make their own mind up from the three readings instead of uninformed guesses.

spyder 11th June 2011 11:41

Even with an external cooling fan on, would that simulate air being forced in to the air intake from the front. I have opened the air in take up a lot, and moved the cables away from the inlet. Just the openeing not being aligned must make some difference. Also bending the deflectoe plate out the way to allow more air in.

Taking the tube off completely will only allow warm ait into the inlet from the engine bay, especially if the tray is fitted.
Remembering that with all this there is a spinny thing behind the engine to force air into it.:D