The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rover 75 1800 petrol 2003, non start (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302610)

morgymoo 3rd February 2020 19:15

Rover 75 1800 petrol 2003, non start

Hi all.This is my first post so hi to you all.Hope my explanation is clear?. So my son has a Rover 75 1800 petrol on a 2003 plate. Wednesday morning it wouldnt start, so advise by a friend he put new starter and battery on,still no start. He told me about this on saturday afternoon, i then went and had a look. Here is what i found ignition on all dash lights as should be,batery voltage checked at 12.60 v, turn key to start and nothing no cranking. Ithen checked voltage to starter there was none. I then put + wire direct to starter,started up immediately ran for bout 2 seconds cut out. I did this few mor times and same thing run 2 seconds cuts out.still no start from key.Any ideas anybody ?
Thanks in advance

suzublu 3rd February 2020 19:28

Could be fuel filter separation, common issue. Lift out the rear seat, under the passenger side is a cover for the fuel tank and filter. Remove the cover and check if the filter has separated slightly. Twist back together and try again. I'm on my phone so can't link to all the threads. I'm sure someone will be along 😎

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

marinabrian 3rd February 2020 20:14

Sounds like a damaged EWS 3 immobiliser to me, does the car have a sunroof?

morgymoo 3rd February 2020 20:28

No, there is no sunroof.what action would i need to take to verify this ?

Mark Murphy 3rd February 2020 20:38

Check for water ingress in drivers footwell, have you got two keys? if so have you tried them both?

marinabrian 3rd February 2020 20:49

Ok then, perhaps the transponder in the key has a data fault, if you have a spare key, see if that works ;)

Brian :D

morgymoo 3rd February 2020 20:57

ok i will speak to him tomorrow and let you know the outcome
Thanks

morgymoo 5th February 2020 06:19

update

OK so the driver side floor is dry and the spare key does not change anything.
Still the same .Any ideas where to go from here ?

Mark Murphy 5th February 2020 06:46

I think you should check the connections are correct on the starter, he who diagnosed it needed a starter and battery, may have missed something...

Yorkshire GOC 5th February 2020 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgymoo (Post 2791073)
OK so the driver side floor is dry and the spare key does not change anything.
Still the same .Any ideas where to go from here ?

I see your lights come on - when you turn her over does the rev counter flicker ? If it remains completely still i always consider a failed crank sensor - no sensor and therefore no RPM.:shrug: If the sensor has failed the ECU will not allow the car to start.