The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Valeting Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Rusty Chrome Wipers! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=54259)

AlexLindop 17th February 2010 18:32

Rusty Chrome Wipers!

Hi everyone, I recently bought a pair of beautiful 22inch chrome wipers for my 75 but every few days they are covered in rust and its driving me mad. I am using a proper chrome cleaner which works really well, making them look like new again but within a few days they look terrible. Is there a product out there that would protect them, like some form of spray or does anyone know of any tips that would save me having to clean them so often. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

stocktake 17th February 2010 19:01

You could try spray laquer :shrug:

eddybrown 25th February 2010 23:31

It sounds like very poor quality chroming for it to rust in only a few days. You could try vaseline over the chrome making sure not to get any on the rubbers, it may attract dirt though but it would protect the chrome.

Dragrad 25th February 2010 23:59

Bought from where? Just so as the chrome fanatics amongst us don't go to the same vendor.... ;)

AlexLindop 26th February 2010 17:07

Bought them from e-bay for £8.95 the pair. Obviously too good to be true but they do look nice and perform well but oh no they are rusty again, be back when I've cleaned them. By the way, does anyone know of any chrome plastic wipers out there, as I've just about had enough of these and would definately buy them!!!

Dragrad 26th February 2010 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLindop (Post 474943)
Bought them from e-bay for £8.95 the pair. Obviously too good to be true but they do look nice and perform well but oh no they are rusty again, be back when I've cleaned them. By the way, does anyone know of any chrome plastic wipers out there, as I've just about had enough of these and would definately buy them!!!

A link to the seller/auction would be useful :shrug:;)

kipper 27th February 2010 03:29

i think i got a set from the same ebayer i have tried coating them with wax as the seller said it worked for a little while so i have laquered them so far no rust after 2 weeks with luck it may work. i think yet again this proves that you get what you pay for

baxlin 27th February 2010 06:21

Are we talking about the wiper arms or the blades (obviously not the rubber bit), or both?

I like chrome, so pics would be good, if anyone can post any, please?

AlexLindop 27th February 2010 19:23

No not the arms, Ive still got the black ones and I cannot remember the name of the person on e-bay who I bought them from, so sorry about that Dragrad I cannot provide the link to the seller. I think I may go down the laquer road as it appears that there is not a chrome protecting product out there, well not one that any of us know about anyway. 2 weeks seems really long to me after having to clean mine once or twice a week so Kipper, I think you may have cracked it!!

stocktake 27th February 2010 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLindop (Post 475737)
Kipper, I think you may have cracked it!!

Ahem, post 2 :rolleyes: :) :D:D:D