The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Compulsory Scrapping (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=261431)

Rev Jules 5th February 2017 11:11

Compulsory Scrapping

With Diesel cars in the limelight at the moment, is it worth investing in our cars,
Could the government bring in a compulsory scrappage scheme for Diesel cars over a certain age, and that could mean ours for sure?

Concerned :shrug:

Rev

cadwellmarkymark 5th February 2017 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2442741)

With Diesel cars in the limelight at the moment, is it worth investing in our cars,
Could the government bring in a compulsory scrappage scheme for Diesel cars over a certain age, and that could mean ours for sure?

Rev

Hi
I also read on the internet a similar item, where the government have some think tank looking into proposals for something like the scheme they had a few years ago with cars of a certain age. but in the same article it also read that it would not come to much? its all to do with emissions from Diesels. :shrug:

alanjay 5th February 2017 11:36

German influence

Quote:

Rev

You're forgetting BMW are still making money from supplying certain spares for our cars.
So whether in or out of EU, I'm sure German government would persuade our government to exempt 75 diesels.

solarsailor 5th February 2017 12:12

Quote:

Could the government bring in a compulsory scrappage scheme for Diesel cars over a certain age..............

Rev

I've read a couple of articles on this from different sources and it certainly wouldn't be compulsory scrapping. The idea would be to offer a discount way above the car's actual value if the owner traded it in for a new 'cleaner' car. Although there are no specifics mentioned, my guess would be that the new car would have to meet any emissions criteria specified by the government.

clf 5th February 2017 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarsailor (Post 2442771)
I've read a couple of articles on this from different sources and it certainly wouldn't be compulsory scrapping. The idea would be to offer a discount way above the car's actual value if the owner traded it in for a new 'cleaner' car. Although there are no specifics mentioned, my guess would be that the new car would have to meet any emissions criteria specified by the government.

I think the 'compulsory' part of the stories come from, once the cars have been traded in, they cannot be sold on. IE the traded cars must be scrapped.

stevenicks 5th February 2017 12:56

Would this scrapage scheme also include HGV's buses, trains, lorries etc :shrug:

steve-45 5th February 2017 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenicks (Post 2442785)
Would this scrapage scheme also include HGV's buses, trains, lorries etc :shrug:

NO, because the private motorist is much easier to target........

Vossy 5th February 2017 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenicks (Post 2442785)

No because there is a huge world market for trucks and buses no matter how old they are with governments who couldn't give a toss about emissions.
A scrappage scheme maybe at some point but I must admit I do like that new Mustang V8 :D

steve-45 5th February 2017 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarsailor (Post 2442771)
The idea would be to offer a discount way above the car's actual value if the owner traded it in for a new 'cleaner' car. Although there are no specifics mentioned, my guess would be that the new car would have to meet any emissions criteria specified by the government.

It would have to be a massive discount, as the trade in book value of our cars is so very little.

Even with a massive discount you would still be looking at paying out over £20,000 for something of equal size and quality of ride.

fega72 5th February 2017 16:53

Yeah, scrap those nasty smelly diesels and buy an environmental friendly modern SUV with 4l petrol engine. Those are the ideal city cars :getmecoat: