The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Mac and Windows. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127134)

Gate Keeper 19th October 2012 09:45

Mac and Windows.

I am on Mac OS X 10.7.5 and when I updated the O.S I lost VMware Fusion 3, Windows XP and Microsoft Word.

I loaded up VMware Fusion 5 which enables Windows to run on a Mac.

I have just upgraded to Photoshop Lightroom 4 which does not recognise XP and wondered which is the easist and better version of Windows for me to get, so that I can run Windows again on the Mac?

I did a search for the answer on the forum but there is nothing up to date.

Thanks

vitesse 19th October 2012 17:12

Just wondering why you don't use boot camp?

Running a Macbook Air with Mountain Lion and have dual boot with Windows 7, works fine although I rarely use it. Had dual boot with Snow Leopard too but think I ran XP in those days.

Lightroom 4 is available for Mac through the Apple Store (iTunes).

Regards

Gate Keeper 20th October 2012 07:59

Thanks - I have not tried Boot Camp. Maybe I ought to.

I have LR 4 on board and it is not compatible with XP but works with the Lion software OK. It is not an easy photoshop to use and I have been having to watch Adobe TV tutorials just to learn the basics.

I had some useful photo editing programmes on XP even though they are years old. One being Live Pix 2.0 which I used for twiddling and tweaking.

Given that Windows 7 works ok on your system, I will see if I can get it for mine.

I migrated to Macs from Windows just over 2 years ago and so I am still learning.

Thanks Vitesse for your help :)

mh007 20th October 2012 09:08

Boot camp & Windows 7 is your best option.

I'm always a bit puzzled though why a Mac user would want to have Windows !

rovexCDTi 20th October 2012 10:42

Because windows is better?

Never really understood why there was an entire industry setup to get Windows running on a Mac when you could just buy a faster, cheaper, better Windows PC to start with, that is a least as stable (if not more), more functional and more compatible.

Gate Keeper 20th October 2012 15:05

It is that some of the photo editing programmes I want to use operate only on the Windows platform and it is more convenient for me to have both systems in one unit. I have not thought that Windows or Macs were better than each other. Or that my tin of baked beans is better than the next tin. I have never used boot camp and will have to look it up. Thanks guys.

Gate Keeper 20th October 2012 15:11

My wife has a little ASUS ee with Windows and it is very slow. If I had to get a Windows laptop it would need to be faster and more powerful. Something I have not thought of doing. Now I am in a quandary .... Boot camp or a what lol

rovexCDTi 20th October 2012 15:18

An ASUS EeePC will be slow with anything on it, it runs a VERY slow atom processor that would get its butt handed to it on a plate by a phone processor. Ive been there myself, ditched it for a CULV (Celeron ultra low voltage) processor instead, battery lasts just as long, runs much much faster.

£300-350 laptops are pretty decent these days.

Will.S 20th October 2012 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1120369)
Because windows is better?

Never really understood why there was an entire industry setup to get Windows running on a Mac when you could just buy a faster, cheaper, better Windows PC to start with, that is a least as stable (if not more), more functional and more compatible.

Please tell me that's a joke?:D

Gate Keeper 20th October 2012 15:25

Do you have anything in mind in particular as I am out of touch with Windows. I have 320 Gb on the mac and would want similar or more on a Windows. Thanks