The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Building a replica Flying Banana................... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300894)

FLYING BANANA 17th November 2019 12:36

Building a replica Flying Banana...................

5 Attachment(s)
........................................... It's been a long time coming but as I'm confined to the house whilst I fight this virus, I decided it was about time I stripped one of the Trophy Yellow ZT's from my collection and turn it into a Sunspot replica of the Flying Banana. Had help from Zed, well more like hindrance at times, but bless him.

Still working on the model, my arthritis doesn't help much but we are getting there. Stripped the shell, and applied the primer coat then the base Yellow and finally the top coat of Sunspot. Will need lacquering once the intricate parts are refitted.

Anyway here is a few photo's.

1-1/18th scale MG 3 next to the 1/43rd scale MG ZT
2-ZT fully stripped of parts.
3-Paint stripper doing it's job.
4-White primer on.
5-Just a dusting of white primer on the interior.

FLYING BANANA 17th November 2019 12:43

Second stage..................

5 Attachment(s)
................................. of building the Sunspot ZT.

1-Dashboard is a bit fiddly.
2-Yellow interior, used the base coat Yellow for this. Picked out the headrests, and armrests on the doors in matt black.
3- boot lid back on and tail lights refitted.
4-Trying to get the black roof runners filled in. Might have to do them again.
5-Distinctive difference in colour between Trophy and Sunspot Yellow.

WillyHeckaslike 17th November 2019 13:49

Kudos to you Bob for being able to do that. I would struggle with the detail and my reading glasses I doubt would be of much help. :bowdown:

FLYING BANANA 17th November 2019 13:52

Sunspot paint.............................

1 Attachment(s)
.............................................. is readily available from a paint shop in Newton Abbot. Think the two aerosol tins came to £26 the pair. The paint is made up why you wait.

Mike Noc 17th November 2019 21:56

That is a damn sight cheaper than spraying the big Banana Bob! :}

Odd Job 18th November 2019 09:57

Wow!

I didn't know there was a Rover 75 car available in diecast form!

Where can I get one?? Are they still available??

Sheraton 18th November 2019 10:44

:cool: I had bid on a Green Contemporary 75 - I planned to do similar - change the colour to Starlight Silver and modify the Starspoke wheels to five spoke etc..

:duh: OUTBID - I didn't want to pay too much for the Model so i didn't bother driving the price up.

I almost bid on a Cast Pewter model 75 too - i'm sure the type that were given to those who worked on the 75 design - I expected the winning bid would be high - it sold for around £12 if i remember correct :eek: Bargain

Paul.

FLYING BANANA 18th November 2019 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odd Job (Post 2776583)
Wow!

I didn't know there was a Rover 75 car available in diecast form!

Where can I get one?? Are they still available??

Just type in Rover 75 or MG ZT models on ebay.

FLYING BANANA 18th November 2019 13:09

Oh! Well back to the........................

5 Attachment(s)
............................................... drawing board.

This one is my prototype and I'll have to start again. Other than the number plates it is finished.

1-The base plate was a pig to get back on. Not happy with the lines on the roof.
2-With the Trophy Yellow version.
3-On the kitchen work surface.
4-Lower Grill still to be painted, the upper grills will have to stay Yellow as I'm not able to hold the brush steady enough to apply.
5-Under the logo.

Discofan 18th November 2019 18:35

You really love sunspot yellow!
The trophy yellow model wold have been close enough match for me :D