The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Assisted hill start. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301326)

jackatesme 6th December 2019 19:01

Assisted hill start.

Been looking for replacement for the x-trail. Found some new cars with assisted hill start.
If you pass your driving test with an automatic then you can only drive an automatic,if you pass your test with an assisted hill start considering hill start is part of the test should you be, only able to drive a car with assisted hill start.
Any thoughts,or am i talking a lot b****.:icon_lol:

stevestrat 6th December 2019 19:14

Maybe you're not allowed to drive uphill :shrug:

macafee2 6th December 2019 20:08

perhaps you should have to demonstrate pulling away both using and not using hill start. There is also auto off handbrakes, "anti stall", abs. All these help drivers but it also takes away some skills

macafee2

johnnybbad 6th December 2019 21:46

My company van has hill assist but you can turn the function off, although it does say on the GOV website that you can use a vehicle with hill assist and electronic parking brakes

AndyN01 7th December 2019 10:03

My Passat has an Electric Park Brake with a switch to turn on the "handbrake" function.

The handbrake "engages" whenever you stop at, say, some traffic lights or on a hill. I believe it works off the ABS rings.

Just pop her into gear and pull away and the "handbrake" releases automatically.

Very odd until you get used to it but you soon do - unless you forget to turn it on and start rolling back down a hill!

The BIG downside is that if it packs up the car will need to be recovered because the handbrake is locked on and a replacement is ££££££££'s

Andy.

sworks 7th December 2019 14:40

Hill hold assist can be turned off. I find it brilliant in our car as it has a manual dct gearbox with auto control. If you stop in drive with your foot on the brake the clutch can overheat and cause judder. Rather than move to park and apply the electric handbrake I just move from drive to neutral and auto hold locks the brakes until I press the brake to move back to drive. Technology is moving fast and things like blind spot assist, lane assist and rear cross traffic alert are all there to help

jackatesme 7th December 2019 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 2780276)
Hill hold assist can be turned off. I find it brilliant in our car as it has a manual dct gearbox with auto control. If you stop in drive with your foot on the brake the clutch can overheat and cause judder. Rather than move to park and apply the electric handbrake I just move from drive to neutral and auto hold locks the brakes until I press the brake to move back to drive. Technology is moving fast and things like blind spot assist, lane assist and rear cross traffic alert are all there to help

Technology is moving fast and things like blind spot assist, lane assist and rear cross traffic alert are all there to help

At 74yrs i find they also confuse.:icon_lol:

sworks 8th December 2019 10:07

I do have to admit that sometimes I get a warning and it takes a while to work out what it’s for, all intended to keep you that little bit safer. Not forgetting the SOS button in the roof, if pressed you are instantly put through to a call centre and asked which emergency service you require, if the airbag is deployed the system automatically sends all 3 as the car sends out information where it is and in what direction it was travelling. Nothing to do with actual driving but technology moving forward

RogerHeinz57 8th December 2019 16:28

Looking into the future of these modern and awesomely fantastic developments into the modern car, one cannot ignore the potential for many poorly designed systems that cost fortunes to replace would contribute to the early demise of the vehicle comparatively early in it's career. Look at our old cars, they have superb engineering and have survived all the press rubbish spread by the likes of Top Gear muppetry, beit our cars are becoming less and less popular on the roads they were a great car then, and still great today. Compare the longevity attributed to the more modern vehicles and costs of the technology to keep them going, things will get worse.
A few things spring to mind:
Start Stop technology - Will crank shafts and their bearings cope with modern driving ? Has anybody had to replace an AGM battery yet? The costs are huge.
Lane departure systems - Will the tyre retailers eventually be able to set wheel alignment on such vehicles ?

I conclude that there are likely to be many other problems associated with the future cars, and with this - are we going to be happy with the costs of having them into dealerships for simple stuff to be adjusted or mended.

AndyN01 8th December 2019 16:39

I think we are a dying breed.

Evolution is working.....

"Most" people are being very successfully brainwashed into cars being disposable items like washing machines, only expected to last a small handful of years and then be scrapped.

What a wonderful way to keep the £££'s rolling in.

Andy.