The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover 75 what to do now (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300253)

magicsbaby 24th October 2019 18:21

Rover 75 what to do now

OK, my Rover 75.. sitting there 82,000 I think on clock.. water pump gone, newish set of tyres on, 2.5 Conni Blue Cream Leather, in really generally decent condition 2004.

Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself. Cant seem to put on sale page no idea why as would just in case someone wants to save her.

She is currently at a garage who obviously want her out of the way, and I will have to let her got to scrap which would be sad as she is probably full of part that folk might want, and I would say the tyres are decent even if someone wanted to come over and do swap for those before the scrap took her for a small charge.

She is in Guildford Surrey.

If folk know how I can get her on the sale page let me know..or PM me or whatever. Thanks...

another_clean_sheet 24th October 2019 18:35

Subscribe £10 for a years membership will let you access Members Cars for Sale section

SD1too 24th October 2019 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicsbaby (Post 2770850)
... water pump gone ... Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself.

Hi Tamsin,

I don't understand the diagnosis. What are the symptoms please? I fear that you might be thinking of scrapping your lovely KV6 unnecessarily. My reasons for asking:
  • Water pumps fail by leakage. But evidence of coolant in that area can also be drainage from the 'V' due to a flattened 'O' ring.
  • If your engine is overheating it won't be the water pump; that's a common uninformed diagnosis.

So what's the story Tamsin? Maybe we will have good news for you.

Simon

oldie 24th October 2019 20:36

If it's holding water sufficient to get it home (with the occasional judicious top-up) get it home. It's easier to make a balanced judgement when there is less pressure to react. Further to that what are/were the symptoms?

If looking to sell - some pictures will attract purchasers.

Terryf 24th October 2019 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2770872)
Hi Tamsin,

I don't understand the diagnosis. What are the symptoms please? I fear that you might be thinking of scrapping your lovely KV6 unnecessarily. My reasons for asking:
  • Water pumps fail by leakage. But evidence of coolant in that area can also be drainage from the 'V' due to a flattened 'O' ring.
  • If your engine is overheating it won't be the water pump; that's a common uninformed diagnosis.

So what's the story Tamsin? Maybe we will have good news for you.

Simon

I am no mechanic but when my engine was over heating it was definitely the water pump. Water pouring out of it, got new water pump fitted sorted it.:D

grivas 25th October 2019 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicsbaby (Post 2770850)
OK, my Rover 75.. sitting there 82,000 I think on clock.. water pump gone, newish set of tyres on, 2.5 Conni Blue Cream Leather, in really generally decent condition 2004.

Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself. Cant seem to put on sale page no idea why as would just in case someone wants to save her.

She is currently at a garage who obviously want her out of the way, and I will have to let her got to scrap which would be sad as she is probably full of part that folk might want, and I would say the tyres are decent even if someone wanted to come over and do swap for those before the scrap took her for a small charge.

She is in Guildford Surrey.

If folk know how I can get her on the sale page let me know..or PM me or whatever. Thanks...

So you are considering scrapping your car for precisely what reason?...

75v6 25th October 2019 13:38

I think the garage has quoted something stupid to repair it!

SD1too 25th October 2019 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2770990)
So you are considering scrapping your car for precisely what reason?...

Here's the story Mario, a leaking water pump, apparently. It first occurred in July and despite helpful advice from forum members, magicsbaby didn't get it repaired, plus she has bought another vehicle.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 75v6 (Post 2771009)
I think the garage has quoted something stupid to repair it!

£1,200 has been mentioned. Changing the water pump on a KV6 is a big job. It's now advertised for sale at £350 which makes it a realistic repair for someone with DIY skills.

Simon

macafee2 25th October 2019 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2771017)
Here's the story Mario, a leaking water pump, apparently. It first occurred in July and despite helpful advice from forum members, magicsbaby didn't get it repaired, plus she has bought another vehicle.

£1,200 has been mentioned. Changing the water pump on a KV6 is a big job. It's now advertised for sale at £350 which makes it a realistic repair for someone with DIY skills.

Simon

a car has been advertised but goodness knows from the description what it is other then its a Rover 75. why oh why don't people add body style and engine type to adverts? Not the first time I've seen such adverts.

macafee2

COLVERT 25th October 2019 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldie (Post 2770889)
If it's holding water sufficient to get it home (with the occasional judicious top-up) get it home. It's easier to make a balanced judgement when there is less pressure to react. Further to that what are/were the symptoms?

If looking to sell - some pictures will attract purchasers.

Quote:--majicsbaby.-She is currently at a garage, and can't really drive as she is losing water fast.

As OLDIE says in this post.---- Plus leaving the filler cap off will partially stop the water pump leaking.

I drove all the way down through France with the pump leaking ( 300 miles ) with the occasional top up.

So M.B get your car home.--:D