The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Was it you? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Naughty Naughty (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312500)

GJ53 DGO 21st April 2021 18:53

Naughty Naughty

Saw this in Hull at about 17:45 on 21/04/2021. Might wanna try taxing it...
https://i.ibb.co/vcjnWWL/untaxed.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/5hFf7tM/untaxed.jpg

trikey 21st April 2021 19:56

Your not trying hard enough, you have to spot the taxed car in Hull :getmecoat:

Rp61973 22nd April 2021 10:02

Oops, easily done I suppose.

I tax my car and pay monthly by DD. Works out at £17.93 per month. Saves a whole load of heartache or having to find a couple of hundred squids in one go.

Rick-sta 22nd April 2021 13:34

Can easily happen by accident under the current online system. Happen to my fiancé on her daily. Set up a monthly direct debit over 2 years ago when we bought the car, payments had been going fine for over 2 years until last month. Luckily she noticed no direct debit payment went out. Checked online and it was showing as untaxed! She had to set up the direct debit again. No warning or notification letter or email to state any reason why the direct debit was no longer going to be collected, didn't make sense why as the direct debit had been running fine for over 2 years.

coolguy 22nd April 2021 16:13

Since you are supposed to either tax or SORN when it becomes due, I have never understood why there are still untaxed cars running around the roads. Surely the DVLA could just send out a fine notice (after allowing a few days grace), and let the recipient argue his case. This is what the SORN legislation was supposed to do when it was brought in.

clf 22nd April 2021 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy (Post 2877769)
Since you are supposed to either tax or SORN when it becomes due, I have never understood why there are still untaxed cars running around the roads. Surely the DVLA could just send out a fine notice (after allowing a few days grace), and let the recipient argue his case. This is what the SORN legislation was supposed to do when it was brought in.

they do, and have done for at least the past 15 years. I think the grace period is around 6-8 weeks though, however, you did have to back date it during the grace period.

After the grace period, the fine was automatically posted to you with a pay by date or else it would increase etc. (if I recall it was equal to the value of the unpaid tax) AND still had to back date it.

If you no longer owned the car, I think the fine was still payable, and the lapsed tax would have been recalculated (I cannot remember the wording of it at the time :o, it was 15 years ago)

skellum 22nd April 2021 19:26

I taxed the daughter in law's car online for her a couple of weeks ago.
Payment accepted and car taxed, but it also delivered gave a message that her SORN had expired 4 months or so ago, and that "vehicles must be continuously taxed or SORNed and we may enquire about the circumstances relating to this gap".
No automatic fine, but clearly the system picks up gaps in tax/SORN.
It's never happened to me, but I imagine the absence of a tax disc in windscreen certainly doesn't help you remember.

coolguy 22nd April 2021 21:20

[QUOTE=clf;2877775]they do, and have done for at least the past 15 years. I think the grace period is around 6-8 weeks though, however, you did have to back date it during the grace period.

It may have been so originally, but I have a friend who overlooked his renewal recently for 5 months - no letter, no fine, and he just went out and got a new MOT and then taxed it with no arrears when he realised.

Yorkshire GOC 24th April 2021 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2877691)
Your not trying hard enough, you have to spot the taxed car in Hull :getmecoat:

I always thought the same about Coventry -you cheeky beggar.;)

torque2me 26th April 2021 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2877751)
Can easily happen by accident under the current online system. Happen to my fiancé on her daily. Set up a monthly direct debit over 2 years ago when we bought the car, payments had been going fine for over 2 years until last month. Luckily she noticed no direct debit payment went out. Checked online and it was showing as untaxed! She had to set up the direct debit again. No warning or notification letter or email to state any reason why the direct debit was no longer going to be collected, didn't make sense why as the direct debit had been running fine for over 2 years.

Yes, I didn't get any reminder for my vehicle that had it's tax expire end of January 2021. I SORN'd it mid-February (as it was under repair) and taxed it again in March.

I can't see why the DVLA cannot send out reminders as it is the computer that generates them. There is machines that can also fold the A4 page and place into an envelope. Finally, it can frank it and post it. Simples!

I bet the plod won't take that as an excuse and the latest "legislation" means that any vehicle overdue two months or more must be seized.

Kev