The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Windows 10 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=323936)

xsport 28th April 2023 22:00

Windows 10

having not renewed my norton presciption and after advice from other members on here , im now just relying on microsoft defender. seems to be ok up to now apart from the length of time waiting for a full scan to complete. i have enabled auto updates to keep up with any new security updates , but do i have the same protection if i change my browser ? i am on microsoft edge at the moment but would like to use firefox. if i do change over will i then need to use a free antivirus such as av or similar? i dont want to compromise the microsoft defender protection that i already have , which i would have thought goes hand in hand with windows 10. advice appreciated thanks .

Rogue 28th April 2023 22:06

Firefox is fine with defender.

Vossy 29th April 2023 08:20

As Rogue said, use Firefox and defender will do the rest, that's been my setup for years now.

another_clean_sheet 29th April 2023 10:36

Which magazine have just tested anti virus software. Of the free ones BitDefender came top closely followed by Avast which is what I use with Firefox.

xsport 30th April 2023 11:29

thankyou gents !! good to know ..;)

xsport 6th July 2023 20:03

Been using windows 10 defender for a while now on firefox and .... touch wood , all seems fine up to now. Enjoying not paying norton even more though !! Thanks for the recommend gents . ;)

MissMoppet 7th July 2023 08:19

Norton is a ghastly programme, closely followed to Kapersky and MacAfee. I've used AVG Free for years with Firefox and Win 10 on my laptop - and yes dear old dependable XP on my PC.

xsport 10th July 2023 17:44

Just downloaded the avg free. Quite good really and it will do a deep scan. just the odd request for an upgrade a bit annoying, but apart from that it seems pretty good and user friendly. I did use it years ago but got too many ads from it and it was not as good as its newer version. I still have defender on board and also the rewrite for windows files so should give me a reasonable amount of protection ,both for my PC and wallet . thanks ... :}

Arctic 11th July 2023 09:18

AVG i always found slows down your lap top /PC when doing the updates, it also installs a bunch of add-ons, it can also replace your search engine with a crappy one, performance is even worse if your PC has limited hardware resources, having said that i have not used it for the last 10 yrs

So not for everyone defender should be enough really

another_clean_sheet 11th July 2023 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2973414)
AVG i always found slows down your lap top /PC when doing the updates, it also installs a bunch of add-ons, it can also replace your search engine with a crappy one, performance is even worse if your PC has limited hardware resources, having said that i have not used it for the last 10 yrs

So not for everyone defender should be enough really

The latest Which report ranked the free anti virus in order of BitDefender, Avast One Essential, Avast Free Anti Virus, Kapersky Security Cloud Free then AVG Antivirus Free with the first two being "Best Buys"