The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   MGB or MG Midget? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300456)

Dallas 1st November 2019 21:09

MGB or MG Midget?

I'm in the market for either an MG BGT or a Midget, but cant decide. :shrug:

Does anyone have any recommendations to either model or year, or even own one that can advise what problems to look for.

Cheers fellas. ;)

FLYING BANANA 1st November 2019 21:56

Has to be a MGB/GT with chrome bumpers and chrome wire wheels.

But at the end of the day the choice will be yours.

COLVERT 1st November 2019 21:59

In just one word with those old beasties-------------------------------------

RUST.-------------:eek::eek::eek:

As for one car over the other---How wide are your shoulders as the Mg Midget really is TINY.

Dallas 1st November 2019 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2772670)
Has to be a MGB/GT with chrome bumpers and chrome wire wheels.

But at the end of the day the choice will be yours.

I totally agree with you Bob, that is what I am after. I'm really not a fan of the black rubber bumper, so if I end up with one, its a chrome bumper conversion for sure.

The wife and I looked at a 1969 MGB today, the photos made the car look pristine, but in real life the car was quite tatty, rust in the usual places. The owner wanted £4,500, but I managed to knock the price down to £3,500, but still I wasn't happy, it just didn't feel right, so we walked away... I am so gutted, as it was tartan red. :drool4:

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2772671)
In just one word with those old beasties-------------------------------------

RUST.-------------:eek::eek::eek:

As for one car over the other---How wide are your shoulders as the Mg Midget really is TINY.

Bit like the F and TF's Jon, the B we looked at today had the usual hole in the boot floor, I can see why so many end up having new floor-pans welded.

The midgets definitely have the correct name, they don't seem to have room even for the accelerator pedal... :eek:

Teflon 2nd November 2019 10:42

If it's any help, my brother is a keen MG lover and had a lovely MG Midget in the past, alongside an MG B and a Roadster.

He very reluctantly sold the midget, as lovely as it was, as it was simply too small and consequently didn't get driven as much as the others.

He still has the B and the Roadster, and has replaced the Midget with a TF which he uses as his "everyday" car.

Cliff

COLVERT 2nd November 2019 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2772681)
I totally agree with you Bob, that is what I am after. I'm really not a fan of the black rubber bumper, so if I end up with one, its a chrome bumper conversion for sure.

The wife and I looked at a 1969 MGB today, the photos made the car look pristine, but in real life the car was quite tatty, rust in the usual places. The owner wanted £4,500, but I managed to knock the price down to £3,500, but still I wasn't happy, it just didn't feel right, so we walked away... I am so gutted, as it was tartan red. :drool4:

Bit like the F and TF's Jon, the B we looked at today had the usual hole in the boot floor, I can see why so many end up having new floor-pans welded.

The midgets definitely have the correct name, they don't seem to have room even for the accelerator pedal... :eek:

Those were desirable cars in my younger days but they, like many others, didn't seem to have any rust proofing.--:eek:

The rust when it took hold seemed to accelerate faster than the cars.

I had friends with MGBs and one with an MG midget.

In the midget you sat shoulder firmly to shoulder. Fine if you were Gay.---:D
But OK if it was a voluptuous girl friend.---:lovebirds:

Jdwoodhou 2nd November 2019 11:17

I think you should avoid a Midget on safety grounds. I know someone whose friend died crushed in a side impact as the car pre-dates modern safety standards. I was a passenger in a Midget which slid sideways into a mini-roundabout at quite a slow speed and the passenger door just folded in towards me when it hit a road sign, so I avoid them now. If you must buy one, be aware that the ones with rounded rear arches have less rear impact protection than the squared off ones, which I believe is the reason the design changed back to square openings later.

ceedy 2nd November 2019 11:38

Midget all the way :D purely on my preference ...

but both.. beware rust and the Midget being so low and vulnerable..:eek:

ratchet 2nd November 2019 11:48

Neither...............have you considered a Reliant Scimitar ? Particularly an SE5 or SE5A

Will carry 4 people and luggage.
Nowhere near the amount of rust issues - as long as the chassis is strong.
Strong mechanicals
Better performance than a MGB or Midget
Cheaper to buy.

Number 6 2nd November 2019 14:34

I have had both the Midget and the "B" Would I have one now ? NO,The midget is to small The "B" rusts like it is going out of fashion.Performance wise they are both dire.There has been this persona built up around these cars that makes them out to be far better than they are.

There are far more attractive cars around for similar money;)

But at the end of the day it is entirely up to you..:}