The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Why? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=202442)

murphyv310 5th December 2014 22:17

Why?

Hi.
Perhaps I'm a fuddy duddy but why are some tuning their cars for huge power for road use?
Its not all about power, consider road conditions, speed limits, brakes, gearbox, clutch, wheels/tyres, suspension geometry, insurance, reliability, hazards, your driving skills and costs. Fine if its factored into everything.
Think carefully if you haven't.

ROBBIE G 5th December 2014 22:22

I think the 75 was more designed as a comfortable cruiser I think the car to tune and mess with would probably more a ZS/ZR I had a ZS there fantastic fun to throw around and amazingly very nimble, ive had a ZT and few 75s I wouldn't want to treat them that way I more enjoy the comfort than there speed ability

d_a_n1979 5th December 2014 22:26

Because each to their own!

murphyv310 5th December 2014 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_a_n1979 (Post 1858435)
Because each to their own!

Yes I agree. Do it right though, there's more to tuning than just the engine!

alanjay 5th December 2014 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 1858428)
Hi.
Perhaps I'm a fuddy duddy but why are some tuning their cars for huge power for road use?
Its not all about power, consider road conditions, speed limits, brakes, gearbox, clutch, wheels/tyres, suspension geometry, insurance, reliability, hazards, your driving skills and costs. Fine if its factored into everything.
Think carefully if you haven't.

I quite agree but I was recently criticised for my policy of cruising at 60 for maximum fuel economy whilst only pushing the peddle down for rapid overtaking.
I know what my car is capable of without changing factory settings and in standard format, it still can surprise a lot of boy racers.
But I'll stick to my policy of only using available power when I need to, that way I enjoy the serene driving of a 75 knowing I have the power when I need it.
Possibly that's why I can achieve mpg that others cannot.
Hope you agree.

murphyv310 5th December 2014 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanjay (Post 1858439)
I quite agree but I was recently criticised for my policy of cruising at 60 for maximum fuel economy whilst only pushing the peddle down for rapid overtaking.
I know what my car is capable of without changing factory settings and in standard format, it still can surprise a lot of boy racers.
But I'll stick to my policy of only using available power when I need to, that way I enjoy the serene driving of a 75 knowing I have the power when I need it.
Possibly that's why I can achieve mpg that others cannot.
Hope you agree.

I do Alan.
One problem is many boy racers have no real experience in difficult conditions. I did the Rospa course years ago and it was totally different to todays offering. My worry is driving standards are poor, a tuned car with standard brakes, suspension and poor driver skills is a lethal weapon.
Like I've said its not all about BHP

d_a_n1979 5th December 2014 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 1858442)
I do Alan.
One problem is many boy racers have no real experience in difficult conditions. I did the Rospa course years ago and it was totally different to todays offering. My worry is driving standards are poor, a tuned car with standard brakes, suspension and poor driver skills is a lethal weapon.
Like I've said its not all about BHP

Only idiots do what you quote, they are out there unfortunately

Anyone with half a brain will upgrade brakes and suspension if they're upping the cars power...

You seem to tar everyone with the same brush, no ifs, no buts...!

I'm an advanced driver, taught by a senior police instructor and a long member of the IAM and have a tuned E60 M5 putting out over 550BHP, does that make me a 'prat'?!

Jordan Apex 5th December 2014 22:53

Road conditions change so that point is redundant, who says they are using that tuned power at all times, that's just a naive presumption.

Who's to say those that are tuning their engines aren't going to be upgrading the other components you have mentioned? Maybe they already know where to source those parts so don't need to publicly ask for help?

Do you know their driving abilities and trainin, just because you have done a course doesn't mean they haven't...

Maybe the car will be used on the road but not to its full potential, that may be reserved for an occasional track day. It may even just be an interest to them and is a personal goal they have set themselves to be able to increase the power.

Jordan Apex 5th December 2014 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_a_n1979 (Post 1858446)
Only idiots do what you quote, they are out there unfortunately

Anyone with half a brain will upgrade brakes and suspension if they're upping the cars power...

You seem to tar everyone with the same brush, no ifs, no buts...!

I'm an advanced driver, taught by a senior police instructor and a long member of the IAM and have a tuned E60 M5 putting out over 550BHP, does that make me a 'prat'?!

No, it backs up my post, will have to get details of that M5 at some point :cool:

sikelsh 5th December 2014 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 1858428)
Hi.
I'm a fuddy duddy

:getmecoat: