The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Whirring noise when pressing clutch pedal (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=261296)

peelaaa 2nd February 2017 23:35

Whirring noise when pressing clutch pedal

Hi, getting a sort of whirring noise when pressing clutch pedal. When pedal is not pressed then no noise. Pedal feels a bit heavier than in the past.

Clutch was changed about 80k ago, on a tazu master cylinder since 140k.

Is something failing or is the clutch just ready to be bleeded?

Mike Noc 3rd February 2017 00:00

Usually, if you get a whirring noise when you depress the clutch pedal it is the clutch release bearing.

Had that on a 214, and it failed about two weeks later, but some can last for ages when noisy.

Unfortunately, as the bearing is part of the concentric slave cylinder, it will need a new complete unit if and when it packs up.

3pinplug 3rd February 2017 09:28

Think its just another " characteristic" of the clutch system, i get it everytime i press the clutch too, it always sounded to me like it was coming from the master cylinder. I have never heard another model car do it but lots of people have mentioned it on here so u may be lucky and just have the same thing, i hope so as the clutch system on these is just a license to print money

T-Cut 3rd February 2017 09:43

One weakness these slaves have is that the release 'bearing' is a pretty rudimentary affair. Basically two lightweight pressed steel races with ball bearings between.

http://mgroverparts.eu/ekmps/shops/e...5301-166-p.jpg

the noise you're hearing is the result of wear in the ball races. Once this reaches critical, the slave will fail.

TC

hogweed 3rd February 2017 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2441644)
Once this reaches critical, the slave will fail.TC

...and I guess suddenly, leaving us stranded...?

I realise this is probably impossible to answer, but mine has a slight "wheee" noise when I depress the clutch too. It failed suddenly about 4 years ago, and I got a new clutch and everything back then.

The noise is pretty faint, so I guess what I'm trying to figure out is does it get gradually worse, so that I'll get to a point where I think "this is likely to fail soon" and get another new clutch, or is it likely to always be faint, then suddenly fail without warning...?

RugbyRover 3rd February 2017 10:52

I would say Slave is on it's way out, I had that later last year.......

Adie

peelaaa 3rd February 2017 12:57

If its the slave, is this another symptom? The pedal feels harder to press and biting point is lower.

is it a clutch out job, ie. ie. a lot of labour?

Has anyone fitted the tazu as I have the master fitted already?

FrenchMike 3rd February 2017 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by peelaaa (Post 2441736)
If its the slave, is this another symptom? The pedal feels harder to press and biting point is lower.

is it a clutch out job, ie. ie. a lot of labour?

Has anyone fitted the tazu as I have the master fitted already?

Any weird noise has a mechanical origin (bearing i.e),not hydraulic issue with master etc..

And hard pedal is related to the stiffness of the diaphragm fingers

Mike Noc 3rd February 2017 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrenchMike (Post 2441754)
And hard pedal is related to the stiffness of the diaphragm fingers

Can be due to a worn clutch plate Mike - a characteristic of diaphragm springs is that they load up the further the fingers move forward from the releasing point, which they do as the clutch plate wears.

FrenchMike 3rd February 2017 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2441760)
Can be due to a worn clutch plate Mike - a characteristic of diaphragm springs is that they load up the further the fingers move forward from the releasing point, which they do as the clutch plate wears.

Of course Mike,lot of possibilities ,anyways the OP has no other choices
than open ,assess the damage ...and replace parts ...:shrug: