The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Decision time (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=289642)

marinabrian 29th October 2018 18:53

Decision time

On the way back from a job this evening, the ZT made an awful clatter coupled with roughness fed back through the clutch pedal.

I'm now in two minds as to how to proceed.

This is the position.

The car has roughly eight weeks MOT remaining, all four tyres are due for replacement, it will most likely need upper rear arms, a couple of brake pipes and a pair of discs on the front.

So given that I've never particularly liked this car in comparison to my previous ZT, is now the time to pull it apart and save the nice bits for something else, or do I pull the box and confirm if the DMF has bought the farm :shrug:

It has full sports leather memory seats without rips or damage, and everything else works as to be expected, apart from the rear blind, which sometimes sticks.

This car owes me nothing, but I feel no real affinity for the car, despite it being my daily for over four years.

I really am torn on this one.

Brian :(

Arctic 29th October 2018 19:09

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Brian.
How long do we keep working on these cars once they get to a stage that they need quite a lot of work, there are a lot of late 54/05/06 cars coming to the market now.

I sold my tourer a few years ago and kept my MGZT mainly because I had taken to it more than the tourer, but a few months back I found that the sills have given way to the dreaded rust, belts are due January, compressor needs changing, I can not get all my tool boxes etc in it as good as I did the tourer so my decision as been made I will not be doing any more work on it, and like you it as very good leather memory seats, excellent wheels with 6.5mm tyres all same make, runs perfect I just feel I have spent enough on it over the last 7 years so the time as come to remove the good parts which I can use for my next one.

I am sure you yourself will make the right decision, and you have enough cars round you that it is not your only drive, at least if you do keep it you will not have to lie on the cold floor now with your new lift :drool4: Arctic.

PS forgot ABS light as come on so a new bearing & back plates needed as well, treated for the time being, even though I have the back plates and the bearings :shrug:

P-Nut 29th October 2018 19:13

What would you use as your daily in its place?

Groundsman Willie 29th October 2018 19:13

Presuming it's not an ultra low mile, rare spec, minter, I'd break it.
I know we're supposed to be saving them for posterity, but honestly, there are still plenty around. As you say, you've not real connection to this particular car, it doesn't owe you, and it needs a bucket full of cash throwing at it for the mot.
Breaking it will help keep others on the road.

Dorset Bob 29th October 2018 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2682281)
On the way back from a job this evening, the ZT made an awful clatter coupled with roughness fed back through the clutch pedal.................

I'd just get Andy to wack a new clutch in for you.:getmecoat:

marinabrian 29th October 2018 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2682300)
I'd just get Andy to wack a new clutch in for you.:getmecoat:

Err I think not Bob, I'd be better off getting Gnasher to do that job :cool:

maxi_crawf 29th October 2018 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2682281)
On the way back from a job this evening, the ZT made an awful clatter coupled with roughness fed back through the clutch pedal.

I'm now in two minds as to how to proceed.

This is the position.

The car has roughly eight weeks MOT remaining, all four tyres are due for replacement, it will most likely need upper rear arms, a couple of brake pipes and a pair of discs on the front.

So given that I've never particularly liked this car in comparison to my previous ZT, is now the time to pull it apart and save the nice bits for something else, or do I pull the box and confirm if the DMF has bought the farm :shrug:

It has full sports leather memory seats without rips or damage, and everything else works as to be expected, apart from the rear blind, which sometimes sticks.

This car owes me nothing, but I feel no real affinity for the car, despite it being my daily for over four years.

I really am torn on this one.

The thing is, to be honest you are the expert with these machines and although sometimes the heart rules the head it looks like the head is taking over with this one, if you have no particular attachment with this one and it has lots of good parts in it why no donate or transfer the good bits in to a good car, but as I said you are the expert and it is your car :}

marinabrian 29th October 2018 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-Nut (Post 2682297)
What would you use as your daily in its place?

I've a nice 75 Firefrost 1800 petrol which has stood around looking pretty and not much else for the past two or three years, that would work for me :cool:

trikey 29th October 2018 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2682307)
I've a nice 75 Firefrost 1800 petrol which has stood around looking pretty and not much else for the past two or three years, that would work for me :cool:

mmm 1.8 :D

marinabrian 29th October 2018 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxi_crawf (Post 2682304)
The thing is, to be honest you are the expert with these machines and although sometimes the heart rules the head it looks like the head is taking over with this one, if you have no particular attachment with this one and it has lots of good parts in it why no donate or transfer the good bits in to a good car, but as I said you are the expert and it is your car :}

The thing is Roy, it goes against the grain a little to condemn a car to the knackers yard.

I'm going to have a think about it, I'm in the fortunate position of being able to press another car into service at short notice........if my duotone had been a manual, the ZT would be meeting it's maker tomorrow, but it's not.......gah decisions :mad: