The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Motorway Driving Rant. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291147)

Mogodon 19th December 2018 21:32

Motorway Driving Rant.

Done a lot of motorway and dual carridgway miles this week ( M1, M25, M4 and A45 ).

SWMBO says I'm starting to suffer from GOMS (grumpy old man syndrome) as I expressed my irritation (frequently according to her) of drivers at junctions, who just before the exit slip road who are in the outside lanes, intead of dropping in behind you and exiting, decide to put their foot down, overtake you and then "swoop" across your lane, frequently cutting you up, and exiting at the last second before they miss the junction.

Also in heavy traffic and roadworks those who weave between lanes over and undertaking.

Also frequently seem to be executive type cars with a 3 or 4 letter brand name.

Rant over :mad:

Number 6 19th December 2018 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogodon (Post 2695809)
Done a lot of motorway and dual carridgway miles this week ( M1, M25, M4 and A45 ).

SWMBO says I'm starting to suffer from GOMS (grumpy old man syndrome) as I expressed my irritation (frequently according to her) of drivers at junctions, who just before the exit slip road who are in the outside lanes, intead of dropping in behind you and exiting, decide to put their foot down, overtake you and then "swoop" across your lane, frequently cutting you up, and exiting at the last second before they miss the junction.

Also in heavy traffic and roadworks those who weave between lanes over and undertaking.

Well I had a run down the M5 to-Day to Newton Abbot 372 mile return trip and I have to agree with all of what you say as well as Middle lane hoggers:xmas-smiley-008::xmas-smiley-008::xmas-smiley-008:.

steve-45 19th December 2018 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogodon (Post 2695809)

But remember that they own the road ...................

dln6376 19th December 2018 21:52

I do a lot of motorway driving every day and what you describe is becoming a common sight. It’s certainly as big a problem as middle lane hoggers.

Another increasingly common annoyance of mine are those drivers joining onto a motorway who expect those in lane one to immediately move to lane two when sometimes it’s simply not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Bone 19th December 2018 22:14

There's a similarity between watching people playing 5 a side and witnessing van drivers on the M62, except the ball is substituted with any gap between vehicle's and I've never seen anyone playing 5 a side while staring at a phone.
The middle lane people I can sort of understand, too many times when about to pull out to overtake someone will put their foot down to block you. It happens too many times to not be deliberate.

Comfortably Numb 19th December 2018 22:28

Sometimes, it's almost as if, by overtaking a line of trucks at a nearly legal speed, you are deliberately trying to frustrate their ambition to drive their whole journey in the middle lane at 85. I've had them sit on my tail, flash their lights and do that for nearly a mile, before there is reasonable space between trucks for me to pull in without too much risk that I will get stuck there. Then they fly past on full, power, sometimes giving you the fingers or a honk. The fact that there is a 3rd lane with much less traffic, does not appear to register with them. One such driver went past me, then slowed down next to the truck in front of me, so I couldn't over take it. When I moved into lane 3 to overtake him, he baulked me in lane 3. I am not a middle lane hogger, and try to be considerate of those who want to drive faster than me, but neither do I allow myself to be bullied into situations that force me to brake, swerve or otherwise have to take avoiding actions. I do the same 30 mile M6 commute daily, you get to know the good guys and the bad ones.

CivilSteve 19th December 2018 22:36

The Middle lane stuff winds me up a treat. All to often there's backed up traffic because folks can't understand the concept of overtaking lane and just decide to sit in it at 60 causing someone else to overtake at 65 resulting in 3 lanes being limited.

I often go undertaking on the inside lane as it's faster than the outside ones. mostly just to prove a point.

marinabrian 19th December 2018 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivilSteve (Post 2695835)
The Middle lane stuff winds me up a treat. All to often there's backed up traffic because folks can't understand the concept of overtaking lane and just decide to sit in it at 60 causing someone else to overtake at 65 resulting in 3 lanes being limited.

I often go undertaking on the inside lane as it's faster than the outside ones. mostly just to prove a point.

And what point would that be Steve?? that you can drive badly in your BMW perhaps :shrug:

Brian :xmas-smiley-040:

Comfortably Numb 19th December 2018 23:06

That's the nice thing about the M6 in Cumbria; unless there's roadworks, there's nearly always a 3rd lane you can overtake the middle lane hoggers in. When I see folk flying up behind me as I'm overtaking a truck, then indicating that they are going to undertake me before I can move back into the 1st lane, I put my indicator on, and move slowly, but surely to the left, as I always intended. They probably think I'm Mr Magoo in a Rover, so they have to slow down and go the right side of me!

neilbaker86 19th December 2018 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2695836)
And what point would that be Steve?? that you can drive badly in your BMW perhaps :shrug:

Brian :xmas-smiley-040:

The point that lane one is empty and they should be in it. If there is room for you to undertake there was room for them to pull over. Stop making excuses for pillocks who don't pull back to lane one after passing the vehicle in front.