The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Black smoke on hard acceleration: problem? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306320)

trefonix 11th July 2020 19:51

Black smoke on hard acceleration: problem?

Hi guys,

I've been driving my 2001 CDT around and I've had some people mention that when I have my foot to the floor there's a noticeable amount of black smoke coming out of the exhaust but none when cruising.

Obviously it's an older diesel with no DPF so I'm wondering if that's just what the car does when it runs a bit rich or if there's something I need to look into.

Cheers.

Daveluck 11th July 2020 20:05

Mine does it around 3.5k rpm

Might just need a good clear out. Take if for an Italian.

If you haven't recently then Change all the filters and oil.

trikey 11th July 2020 20:13

Check your hoses, intercooler O rings etc, it might just need the intercooler and manifold cleaning out?

Arctic 11th July 2020 22:15

HI Alex.
Your intercooler O-rings have failed or you have split in the hose somewhere, rectify that and at the same time give the manifold, EGR, & Map Sensor a good clean, add a new air filter if one as not been replaced in the last 6 months, all should then be ok.

Number 6 12th July 2020 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2824421)
HI Alex.
Your intercooler O-rings have failed or you have split in the hose somewhere, rectify that and at the same time give the manifold, EGR, & Map Sensor a good clean, add a new air filter if one as not been replaced in the last 6 months, all should then be ok.

And if this has been done, What else could you do??:shrug:

roverbarmy 12th July 2020 09:40

Just another "bulletproof", dirty, smelly diesel! :getmecoat::D

Mike Noc 12th July 2020 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2824462)
And if this has been done, What else could you do??:shrug:

I assume you have tried a decent injector cleaner? Forte comes well recommended.

Daveluck 12th July 2020 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2824470)
I assume you have tried a decent injector cleaner? Forte comes well recommended.

And replaced the pcv filter?

trefonix 12th July 2020 12:34

Thinking about it, the O-rings on the intercooler seems like the most likely explanation. There's a bit of a whistle at 3k RPM which I understand can also be caused by the seal failing.

Is it a relatively simple abeit dirty job to change?

Pueblo_Boy 12th July 2020 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by trefonix (Post 2824383)
Hi guys,

I've been driving my 2001 CDT around and I've had some people mention that when I have my foot to the floor there's a noticeable amount of black smoke coming out of the exhaust but none when cruising.

Obviously it's an older diesel with no DPF so I'm wondering if that's just what the car does when it runs a bit rich or if there's something I need to look into.

Cheers.

I had the same problem on my diesel on a trip through France to the Costa del Sol. Turned out to be the 'O' rings, which I had just had replaced to avoid any such problems...:shrug: I was fortunate, bought a good as new intercooler from a scrapyard in Malaga (Rovers and MG's are quite rare in Spain!), and a mate who owns a garage fitted it for free...so 40 euros well spent! Now pulls very strongly! Not quite as much as my old M5 did, but that didn't get 40 to the gallon...:D