The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Little Trip from Cardiff to Scotland (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298913)

Gigagator 3rd September 2019 11:01

Little Trip from Cardiff to Scotland [Update: Couple of Pics Inside]

Got a little trip planned to Scotland this weekend from our home in Cardiff.

Myself and the other half are heading up to the Highlands on Saturday, mostly to take in the scenery but will be getting out and doing a fair bit of hiking.

We're sticking mostly to the 'North Coast 500' route and staying at a few B&B's along the way.

Getting a bit anxious now as the realisation of the huge journey is setting in.

According to Google Maps, we will be covering over 1500 miles in 6 days and nearly 10 hours solid driving just to get to our first destination just east of Inverness.

On the way up it's looking like we'll be using M4, M5, M6, A74(M), M74, A9.

Give us a wave and a flash if you see us. :D

Facelift starlight silver Rover 75, CV55 DDU.

Pueblo_Boy 3rd September 2019 11:33

Nice area to visit! I can still remember my first wee row in a boat on Findhorn Bay - so peaceful!

jackatesme 3rd September 2019 14:45

I can remember in the late 60s me and my 2 brothers, (only 2 drivers) drove up to Scotland from S.Wales on Friday night watched the rugby,then got in the car and drove back home.:D

ZedTeeT 3rd September 2019 15:53

The scenery is breathtaking driving through the Highlands, done it twice in our old Fiesta 1.25i Ghia. A long haul from Sussex but well worth it. :D

Comfortably Numb 3rd September 2019 17:07

Gigagator, I suspect that unless you are very lucky, your journey to Inverness will take you a good deal longer than 10 hours, such is the crowded state of our motorways, and the frequency with which you will have to slow down or stop. I think you would be wise to plan an overnight stop, just off the motorway, around half way. If all goes well, you'll have plenty of time to spend a relaxed evening in a new place. If it doesn't go so well, you'll still have time for last orders and get a good night's sleep, refreshed for your onward journey. Driving for such long periods vastly increases the danger of dozing off, getting stressed, etc., so you start the holiday on the wrong foot, and probably don't feel like doing much the next morning anyway, except sleeping.

Les4048 3rd September 2019 18:13

Andrew in #5 is offering excellent advice, take a break around Perth area then enjoy the beautiful scenery going up the A9. If you’re over in Moray near Elgin the kettle will be on

Jim Jamieson 3rd September 2019 19:25

I agree on the long drive, 10 hours is rather pushing the safety limits.

Scenery starts at Cumbria (Shap) then a good stretch of the M74 before hitting the Glasgow area.
Take care on the A9 as they’re a few cameras on it to control speeders

Enjoy the trip and I hope this current foul weather improves.

Les4048 3rd September 2019 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 2759847)
I agree on the long drive, 10 hours is rather pushing the safety limits.

Scenery starts at Cumbria (Shap) then a good stretch of the M74 before hitting the Glasgow area.
Take care on the A9 as they’re a few cameras on it to control speeders

Enjoy the trip and I hope this current foul weather improves.

It’s average speed cameras all the way from Perth to Inverness

mcd840 3rd September 2019 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les4048 (Post 2759853)
It’s average speed cameras all the way from Perth to Inverness

Also between Stirling and Perth :}

Pueblo_Boy 3rd September 2019 20:59

Gone are the days when I did Stirling to Bristol in way less than six hours. Don't know how I didn't pick up a speeding ticket...