The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover 75 v Merc E class. Anyone had both? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=263227)

jonathan63 7th March 2017 12:56

Rover 75 v Merc E class. Anyone had both?

I love my 75 but always wanted a Merc E class Elegance (with the walnut dash).

I'll be losing a bit on mpg and the cost of tyres but I was wondering what the whole ownership experience is like.

Mertens34 7th March 2017 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan63 (Post 2458097)

I'll be losing a bit on mpg and the cost of tyres but I was wondering what the whole ownership experience is like.

Never owned a Merc but i really love their interior! The one of the E class elegance with creme interior + walnut dash looks very good indeed.

However there is no interior nicer than the S class with creme interior + walnut dash. (except for super cars etc.)

sponge_mike 7th March 2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan63 (Post 2458097)

Had a CLK Elegance which was absolutely delightful and a lovely place to be in the cabin. Much nicer than the Avantgarde, although there were far more Avantgardes produced than the Elegance for some reason :shrug:

Will definitely have another as my next car:}

Mike

jonathan63 7th March 2017 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by sponge_mike (Post 2458113)
Had a CLK Elegance which was absolutely delightful and a lovely place to be in the cabin. Much nicer than the Avantgarde, although there were far more Avantgardes produced than the Elegance for some reason :shrug:

Will definitely have another as my next car:}

Mike

I presume the CLK and E class are similar to drive? How do they compare to a 75 CDT Connie SE Mike?

Georgies Dad 7th March 2017 14:51

When I was at work,I had a Mercedes E240,it was a wonderful car,so comfy and stylish,had all the toys and grey leathers seats,do I miss it.of course I do,but now funds are more limited, the Rover 75 is my comfort in retirement.

The Mercedes in my opinion was the better car of the 2:}

sponge_mike 7th March 2017 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan63 (Post 2458141)
I presume the CLK and E class are similar to drive? How do they compare to a 75 CDT Connie SE Mike?

I guess there would be similarities, Jonathan - the Mercedes was an absolute pleasure to drive, very nimble and sure footed. And, if I am allowed to say it on this forum, a far superior drive to the 75:o

Mike

timspencer 7th March 2017 16:39

Watch out for rust, yes really! Mechanically they are tough but parts are pricey.

A merc does feel special and in my opinion is a little more classy than a BMW.

sponge_mike 7th March 2017 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by timspencer (Post 2458191)
Watch out for rust, yes really! Mechanically they are tough but parts are pricey.

A merc does feel special and in my opinion is a little more classy than a BMW.

You're right about the rust - I'm pretty sure that they improved the situation after about 2005 model year.

Mike

Sprinter 7th March 2017 19:25

I had the older E class, a 300E and it was a pleasure to drive. Really roomy inside compared to the 75 (that I bought to replace it). If a Merc will rust anywhere it'll be the front wings so beware if it has those nice shiny chrome trims on the arches.

I loved everything about it apart from the mpg figures which is why I went to diesel. I still miss it but love my 75 too.

timspencer 7th March 2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by sponge_mike (Post 2458194)
You're right about the rust - I'm pretty sure that they improved the situation after about 2005 model year.

Mike

It was the ones from the late 90s to early noughties that had rust issues, it really damaged Mercs reputation, apparently it was reclaimed Russian steel or something?

The Cdi engines seem to last forever and buy an automatic.