The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Chrome sill trims fitting (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302017)

The Mighty Quinn 9th January 2020 20:00

Chrome sill trims fitting

Easy access to the inner areas of the sills on our cars would be useful for regular anti-rust treatment.

Having my exterior sill trims off at the moment, I'm considering blanking off most of the holes for the trim clips and drilling 3 equidistant holes in each sill trim to allow for the fitting of chrome-headed screws. These could be screwed into plastic captive nuts in the remaining clip holes and would allow for real easy access in future.

I THINK that 3 equally spaced, chrome-headed screws would look ok in the sill trims..? But, has anyone tried this before (or are there very good reasons for NOT trying this?).

I know it's not a big job to remove the sill trims as they are, but the clips will, I'm sure, become a finite resource; and with the price of them, that might be just as well.. :)

Cheers,
Karl.

trikey 9th January 2020 20:03

Go to your local scrappy and stock up on clips, I can remove both sill trims and break 2-3 max each time.

The Mighty Quinn 9th January 2020 20:32

You're obviously not as ham-fisted as I am, Andy..!

I wouldn't normally be a fan of butchering the lines/design of the car. And, I suppose one gets a little handier at it each time.

It's been frustrating taking all the trim off the car and finding out that most of the clips are one-time fitment only (flimsy and awkward into the bargain, as well). Simple screws and bolts and re-usable push-fit clips are a blessing - it's a real pity car manufacturers don't employ them more..

Maybe I just need a slightly older, more simple car.. like meself :)

Cheers,
Karl.

trikey 9th January 2020 20:33

Pull the trim upwards Karl, I have done a few though, as you say.. it gets easier the more you remove.

hinged_bap 10th January 2020 09:33

how about neodymium magnets bonded to the car and strip using JB weld or similar.

trikey 10th January 2020 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by hinged_bap (Post 2785867)
how about neodymium magnets bonded to the car and strip using JB weld or similar.

Won’t work as the trims are stainless.

KWIL 10th January 2020 10:58

Can someone provide a picture of the underside of the trim so I can see what engages with the plastic (breakable) clips please?

trikey 10th January 2020 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWIL (Post 2785879)
Can someone provide a picture of the underside of the trim so I can see what engages with the plastic (breakable) clips please?

I can take pics at the weekend if no one else beats me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hinged_bap 10th January 2020 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2785871)
Won’t work as the trims are stainless.

Yes, the strips are stainless, thats why I suggested bonding them using JB weld.

Mike Trident 10th January 2020 12:37

We could probably do with an "how to" complete with photos on this one.