The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rover 75 engine problems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=191074)

mmirza16993 30th July 2014 22:11

Rover 75 engine problems

Hi all,

I've been having a few issues with my 2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur as of late and figured this is the best place to go to.

Basically, the engine has a heating problem due to poor water circulation. After numerous trips to a local mechanic who tried whatever he could think of, the situation was stable for a while but has gone bad again. Furthermore, I think the car isn't firing on all cylinders now, and is really lacking in power.

After doing a bit of research I found out that diesel engines in a 75 are better than petrol engines, which is what I have. So I'm thinking of replacing the engine altogether, and was looking for advice on this topic.

Please excuse my lack of mechanical terminology as I am really a newbie at this stuff (only had the car for a year!)

Thanks in advance.

klarzy 30th July 2014 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmirza16993 (Post 1745465)
Hi all,

I've been having a few issues with my 2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur as of late and figured this is the best place to go to.

Basically, the engine has a heating problem due to poor water circulation. After numerous trips to a local mechanic who tried whatever he could think of, the situation was stable for a while but has gone bad again. Furthermore, I think the car isn't firing on all cylinders now, and is really lacking in power.

After doing a bit of research I found out that diesel engines in a 75 are better than petrol engines, which is what I have. So I'm thinking of replacing the engine altogether, and was looking for advice on this topic.

Please excuse my lack of mechanical terminology as I am really a newbie at this stuff (only had the car for a year!)

Thanks in advance.

You are correct, the Diesels are far superior to the petrols.... (totally unbias of course)....

If you search the forums there is a lot of information about thermostats which I think may be the root of your problem.....

Dragrad 30th July 2014 22:16

This thread maybe of some interest to you ;)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=179408

Mike Noc 30th July 2014 23:29

Quote:

Anything is possible but you will be stripping out and rebuilding shed loads on the car. :getmecoat:

If you want a diesel then best go and buy one. ;)

kaiser 31st July 2014 06:52

Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Start by telling us which engine you have, and tell us exactly what problem you are experiencing. Add to that what has been done to rectify it, and it is possible that you will get an intelligent reply. :D

vindaloo 31st July 2014 07:09

His profile states he has a 1.8

SD1too 31st July 2014 07:11

1.8 engine

Hello Muhammad and :welcome: to the club. You've come to the right place.
Quote:

Basically, the engine has a heating problem due to poor water circulation.

That's a common complaint with all the 75/ZT engines and is often repairable easily and cheaply, if you know where to look! :}
Please tell us exactly what caused you to consult a mechanic. Is coolant being ejected through the expansion tank cap? Is the temperature gauge shooting up to maximum? Give us as much detail as you can.

Quote:

After doing a bit of research I found out that diesel engines in a 75 are better than petrol engines ...
If by "better" you mean more reliable, then take a look at the threads in this technical section posted over the past few months. Count how many complaints there are of diesels failing to start, heaters not working (in the winter, of course) and crankshaft pulleys disintegrating, to say nothing of fuel pump failure which is very common.

No-one wants to start a contest on petrol versus diesel so let's just say that both engine designs have their own advantages and disadvantages. Forget your idea of changing engine types. We can most likely guide you to an effective solution for your heating problems, so tell us all about it!

Simon

marinabrian 31st July 2014 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by klarzy (Post 1745469)
You are correct, the Diesels are far superior to the petrols.... (totally unbias of course)....

If you search the forums there is a lot of information about thermostats which I think may be the root of your problem.....

No the diesel is not superior to the petrol, having driven nearly 9000 miles in the past 3 months in the ZT, I got into Frosty this morning took him for a run and what a quiet refined chap he really is :drool4:

Brian :D

mmirza16993 31st July 2014 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 1745618)
Hello Muhammad and :welcome: to the club. You've come to the right place.

That's a common complaint with all the 75/ZT engines and is often repairable easily and cheaply, if you know where to look! :}
Please tell us exactly what caused you to consult a mechanic. Is coolant being ejected through the expansion tank cap? Is the temperature gauge shooting up to maximum? Give us as much detail as you can.

If by "better" you mean more reliable, then take a look at the threads in this technical section posted over the past few months. Count how many complaints there are of diesels failing to start, heaters not working (in the winter, of course) and crankshaft pulleys disintegrating, to say nothing of fuel pump failure which is very common.

No-one wants to start a contest on petrol versus diesel so let's just say that both engine designs have their own advantages and disadvantages. Forget your idea of changing engine types. We can most likely guide you to an effective solution for your heating problems, so tell us all about it!

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply, definitely helped.

I consulted the mechanic after noticing that the fuel gauge was going way to high for regular town driving and that there was steam coming from under the bonnet. Usually there is no coolant being expelled, however, after letting the car cool down if you open the cap then it all gushes out. After the initial consultation, the mechanic told me that there was a problem with the water circulation and did the following to rectify them;

1. replaced head gasket
2. fixed a leak in a pipe right behind the radiator grille
3. replaced the fan with a higher power one

I was looking at replacing the engine as a last resort as I REALLY love my car and would do anything to keep it, so if you guys could help me fix this, I'd be eternally greatful.

Hope thats enough detail, if not please ask for more and I'll be on the phone to the mechanic.

mmirza16993 31st July 2014 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 1745594)
Start by telling us which engine you have, and tell us exactly what problem you are experiencing. Add to that what has been done to rectify it, and it is possible that you will get an intelligent reply. :D

Hi kaiser,

I currently have a 1.8L petrol engine in my 2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur

The problem is that the temperature gauge goes very high very easily.

To rectify the problem, the head gasket has been changed, a new fan fitted and a leak fixed in a pipe near the radiator grille.

Thanks again