The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   An Apology to my Old car and QH (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=288314)

ceedy 20th September 2018 18:25

An Apology to my Old car and QH

After my moaning about the quality of our replacement lower arms in my MOT fail thread , I finally had the time to get the car up on my friends lift to see the extent of the Wear in the arm joint quoted on the failure certificate.

And it was actually the Clamp to lower arm not tight enough .

I did wonder/hoped it might be this .:D

The Application of a dose more torques on the bolt and its tight again.

This was disturbed a month back whilst doing the intermediate drive shaft replacement and was tightened to 50nm as reccomended on a lot of other threads, but seems if the clamp has been wedged open to get the pin out the bolt torque just isn't man enough to clamp it first time out.

Will check it again a month or so to see how its going.

So apologies to QH for slagging off their lower arm ;) .

and to my dear old car for the moaning ! :D

So all Ok for another year :o

C.

zedhed 20th September 2018 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2670924)
After my moaning about the quality of our replacement lower arms in my MOT fail thread , I finally had the time to get the car up on my friends lift to see the extent of the Wear in the arm joint quoted on the failure certificate.

And it was actually the Clamp to lower arm not tight enough .

I did wonder/hoped it might be this .:D

The Application of a dose more torques on the bolt and its tight again.

This was disturbed a month back whilst doing the intermediate drive shaft replacement and was tightened to 50nm as reccomended on a lot of other threads, but seems if the clamp has been wedged open to get the pin out the bolt torque just isn't man enough to clamp it first time out.

Will check it again a month or so to see how its going.

So apologies to QH for slagging off their lower arm ;) .

and to my dear old car for the moaning ! :D

So all Ok for another year :o

C.

Makes you wonder just how many of us have threw away good wishbones when they fail mot when really the bolt just needs a nip😮

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk

ceedy 20th September 2018 21:28

Could also be that the Bolt is stretching ? under the Greater torque ?

C.

BigRuss 20th September 2018 22:18

If the bolt is not tight enough, over a period of time it will wear the hole that the ball joint fits into oval.

Then no amount of tightening it up will help, the only option then is a replacement hub.

I've come across this on a few occasions.

Russ