The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Sometimes we don't notice wear and tear on our 75's (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301873)

ALPACA 2nd January 2020 13:41

Sometimes we don't notice wear and tear on our 75's

:driving: Like many owners here, I keep my two 75's serviced and maintained (I can do basic service bits and the bigger mechanical jobs I trust to APPLEMG), and I always have components changed when they are showing signs of age, or have failed.

Sometimes though, baring in mind the age of our cars, it's easy to be oblivious to the natural wear and tear of some of those components which day in day out plod along seeming to do thier job with ease. A few months back I had new front Shock absorbers and new rear springs fitted to Roxy (she had previously had new front Springs after one snapped), and I could not believe the difference the new parts made to not only the general comfort and feel, but also the braking and pitch and roll, the stance and ride height :clap:

I suddenly realised looking at Bluebelle in comparison how low she was at the rear and how everything had sunk over the years and really did feel tired and soggy when compared to Roxy

Again, like so many other owners, I love these cars, and with a big trip coming up this year to Callander and the Highlands of Scotland, I figured it was time to look after the old girl and book her in to have new front and rear shocks and new front and rear springs fitted. Some people will think I'm mad, spending far more than the value of the car on suspension parts (even a new set of tyres is more than the value), but my two 75's are very special, the best cars I have ever owned, still in my opinion better to drive (or be a passenger in) long distance than almost anything modern, still having that ' wow' factor which has me turning back after parking them, still getting comments and conversations from strangers at Petrol stations and wherever I park up, and still standing out amongst the sea of uniform blandness that I see in modern car designs.

My two girls are a bit tatty with age and wear, could do with some fresh paint here and there, and are in no way show stoppers, but they have never let me down in 11 years, and waft me along with comfort, style and grace effortlessly. I'm sure there are many owners who will agree with me, our 75's & ZT's are worth it :)

victorgte 2nd January 2020 13:57

I totally agree. My V6 had a complete rear end rebuild and the front had poly bushes fitted. Ride was smooth yet tight as a drum. Comments from friends were that they were surprised at how an older car can still prove to be a quality product but then it took money to restore it to factory standards. Can’t escape that factor.
I’m driving a clean modern diesel now which whilst it is very good at many things it does not have the comfort of a 75.
If I want that I jump into my wife’s car!

Jdwoodhou 2nd January 2020 14:23

Remember that the biggest cost of running a new or fairly new car is depreciation. If your 75 is in fair condition my view is don't worry too much about the cost of repairing it. And these days a 75 or ZT is a modern classic!

Francophile 2nd January 2020 15:42

Couldn't agree more with these sentiments. It was my Connie's 20th birthday yesterday, and I have never regretted the decision to buy her, sixteen years ago.

She is in the local garage today for new wishbones (both sides, because if one has shot bushes the other can't be far behind) after the enormous traffic hump at the entrance to M40 Oxford services caused or exacerbated the symptom.

Happy New Year to all Rover/MG aficionados,

Derek.

Mike Trident 2nd January 2020 16:35

I think you are probably right.

I am sure my 75 grounds too easily over speed bumps.

Olde faithful 2nd January 2020 22:12

Just spent £750 on my R75 to have all the bushes, suspension arms and drop links and front shocks all done it drives like brand new and worth every penny. and brake pads done

don't regret any of it, its like a 2020 brand new rover lovely!!

DMGRS 2nd January 2020 23:01

I had a huge amount of work done on my ZT-T last year - drove like a new car afterwards. Well worth it! :)

Anyone doing a large-scale rebuild of suspension etc is always welcome to get in touch to see if we can put together a package to save a few £££. Don't ask, don't get and all that :xmas-smiley-008:

robbrooks 3rd January 2020 16:00

long live t he 75

[QUOTE=Francophile;2784492]Couldn't agree more with these sentiments. It was my Connie's 20th birthday yesterday, and I have never regretted the decision to buy her, sixteen years ago.

She is in the local garage today for new wishbones (both sides, because if one has shot bushes the other can't be far behind) after the enormous traffic hump at the entrance to M40 Oxford services caused or exacerbated the symptom.

Happy New Year to all Rover/MG aficionados,

It will be my Rover's 18th birthday this year and I have to say it's been the best car I have owned, since my first car in 1972. Had her since new in 2002 and she's now covered nearly 134,000. The engine feels more lively now than when I first bought her! This is thanks to the remap of course, but the engine has been run in well. On the last MOT she had 0.09 1/m on the emission test, which if I'm not mistaken is the lowest she's had! I used Millers diesel clean regularly throughout her life!
rob

jonc3725 3rd January 2020 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMGRS (Post 2784584)
I had a huge amount of work done on my ZT-T last year - drove like a new car afterwards. Well worth it! :)

Anyone doing a large-scale rebuild of suspension etc is always welcome to get in touch to see if we can put together a package to save a few £££. Don't ask, don't get and all that :xmas-smiley-008:

Balls. You say that now. I have bought most of my parts for front and rear suspension overhaul from you over the past few months.

All in the timing:cry:

Have to say once I'm finished I can wait to driver her again and I like what I'm hearing from others

ALPACA 4th January 2020 05:56

[QUOTE=robbrooks;2784636]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Francophile (Post 2784492)
The engine feels more lively now than when I first bought her! This is thanks to the remap of course, but the engine has been run in well. On the last MOT she had 0.09 1/m on the emission test, which if I'm not mistaken is the lowest she's had! I used Millers diesel clean regularly throughout her life!
rob

It's amazing that seventeen to twenty years after production, our cars are often running better than when they left the factory. Like you, I've run Millers diesel additive in every tank during my ownership (Now called Millers Diesel power Ecomax), a 160bhp remap in conjunction with a Synergy 2a tuning box on setting 7 (Med/Med) and a Pierburg MAF and 11 years later.... both my 75's are an absolute joy to drive, and have never let me down.

I was always a Jag man, loved my XJ6 but the 75's stole my heart and in my opinion and experience are the best cars I've ever owned, and for the longest time. I could not imagine life without them :)