The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Footwell lighting (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=212297)

RJ303 28th March 2015 17:41

Footwell lighting

Having looked at the two "how to" guides on here I am confused as to the best way to wire them up. Im a complete novice when it comes to car electrics etc. The one guide I have seen suggests taking a single wire feed from the roof courtesy light and running it down to the foot well then the other wire (coming off the bulb holder in the footwell) should be earthed, I always thought to complete a circuit you needed a positive and negative?

The other guide suggests tapping into two feeds on the circuit bar in the roof mounted courtesy light and running this down to the footwell lights, but would it still need earthing?

How did everyone else that has done this mod sorted the issue?

If this is in the wrong section apologies.

suzublu 28th March 2015 17:51

Whatever lights you fit to the footwells should have a "live" & an "earth". Take the live from the interior light, & then fit the earth to the chassis. If you look to the right of the fusebox, you'll see a couple of threaded holes, fit the earth to an 8mm, I think, bolt & screw it into the hole :shrug::} HTH's :}

ninaandphil 28th March 2015 18:19

I have a live feed taken from the courtesy light, single cable down the drivers A pillar, whilst the earth for mine is connected to the cig lighter earth, front wells are easy, I took out the centre consol to get access and feed cables under the front seats for the rear foot wells....
Nice mod when done, looks great when it's dark...

RJ303 28th March 2015 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninaandphil (Post 1961268)
I have a live feed taken from the courtesy light, single cable down the drivers A pillar, whilst the earth for mine is connected to the cig lighter earth, front wells are easy, I took out the centre consol to get access and feed cables under the front seats for the rear foot wells....
Nice mod when done, looks great when it's dark...

Was only going to do the front but now you have got me thinking - damn you :D:duh:

ninaandphil 28th March 2015 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ303 (Post 1961322)
Was only going to do the front but now you have got me thinking - damn you :D:duh:

:oops: Sorry!! ( But you know you want to really )....

aturi83 29th March 2015 17:54

What LEDs did you use for the back? Need to keep them kick proof somehow !

maxi_crawf 29th March 2015 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ303 (Post 1961207)
Having looked at the two "how to" guides on here I am confused as to the best way to wire them up. Im a complete novice when it comes to car electrics etc. The one guide I have seen suggests taking a single wire feed from the roof courtesy light and running it down to the foot well then the other wire (coming off the bulb holder in the footwell) should be earthed, I always thought to complete a circuit you needed a positive and negative?

The other guide suggests tapping into two feeds on the circuit bar in the roof mounted courtesy light and running this down to the footwell lights, but would it still need earthing?

How did everyone else that has done this mod sorted the issue?

If this is in the wrong section apologies.

The earth is the negative, it runs through the body back towards the negative terminal on the battery.

Number 6 29th March 2015 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninaandphil (Post 1961381)
:oops: Sorry!! ( But you know you want to really )....

Do a search for "Marmite" lighting you will love it and simple to do;)

thundercat 29th March 2015 20:33

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to see your feet, i don't look at mine in daylight so I would not want to at night

ninaandphil 29th March 2015 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturi83 (Post 1962120)
What LEDs did you use for the back? Need to keep them kick proof somehow !

I used 30cm strips of blue LEDs front and rear, they are stuck under the seat backs and safe from stray feet...:o

Cheers Phil...