The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   DOT your Tyres (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287661)

Arctic 31st August 2018 23:07

DOT your Tyres

I am uploading this thread because today I ordered some new tyres for my FL2 while searching for the same tyres I have on now, I came across the link below which decodes the age of your tyres.

The Dot code will be on the side wall either on the outside of the tyre or on the inside four digits example 0518.

Hope this helps, according to the decoder tyres are supposed to be changed after 6 years regardless of how many miles they have done.

After 10 years they are extremely hazardous.

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder

Les4048 1st September 2018 04:05

Excellent info that we all need to know. Now just waiting for replies similar to the timing belt debate :D:getmecoat:

sworks 1st September 2018 07:34

I’m surprised tyre age isn’t part of the mot. I see some that are incredibly old, especially older classics that do little miles.

SCP440 1st September 2018 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 2665465)
I’m surprised tyre age isn’t part of the mot. I see some that are incredibly old, especially older classics that do little miles.

I agree, I work on some classics with very old tyres and the owners wont replace for two reasons, they are original and you cant get that tread pattern anymore and there is plenty of tread on them with no cracks :eek:

I tried to explain to one owner that they are dangerous and he shrugged his shoulders and said ''are you going to pay for a new set then?''

Wasn't there a case of an MGB driver getting killed who had used old original tyres on his car?

Part of the problem for classics is getting a suitable tyre for the vehicle, some sizes are no longer available in some speed ratings or are now only available for vans.

kelvo 1st September 2018 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les4048 (Post 2665446)
Excellent info that we all need to know. Now just waiting for replies similar to the timing belt debate :D:getmecoat:

More often than not it is age that is more damaging to tyres than mileage, cars that don't get used that much will tend to suffer from sidewall cracking if they've been standing for any length of time.

Likewise you may be ok with a 15 year old cambelt, or you may not.

I'd be surprised knowing how ZTs at least munch through tyres every 2 or 3 years that you'd find them with tyres over 10 years old anyway

There was a serious coach crash a couple of years ago caused by a tyre that was over 20 years old and when I renewed the tyres on my bus I found one dated from the 80s :eek:

AndyN01 1st September 2018 08:15

Cheers Arctic.

That's a useful web site.

I'll have a hunt around and see what I come up with.

Watch this space for "How old were the tyres on your car when you bought it" info :}.

Andy.

Gate Keeper 1st September 2018 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2665435)
I am uploading the this thread because today I ordered some new tyres for my FL2 while searching for the same tyres I have on now, I came across the link below which decodes the age of your tyres.

The Dot code will be on the side wall either on the outside of the tyre or on the inside four digits example 0518.

Hope this helps, according to the decoder tyres are supposed to be changed after 6 years regardless of how many miles they have done.

After 10 years they are extremely hazardous.

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder

Thanks Steve, I bought 2 new tyres recently and the fitter said he would do the dot codes for me. After the date, he said to throw out the tyres.

rovertone 1st September 2018 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2665478)
Cheers Arctic.

That's a useful web site.

I'll have a hunt around and see what I come up with.

Watch this space for "How old were the tyres on your car when you bought it" info :}.

Andy.

Also useful to check how old tyres are when you buy them. A year or two back I bought new tyres in Portugal for my motorhome and found one 'new' tyre was 3 years old. I took it back and got it changed. The tyres were a common van size so it was a case of poor stock rotation somewhere along chain. I always check now when I have new tyres fitted.

Jim Jamieson 1st September 2018 08:59

And with all that they’re talking about old classics not requiring an MOT, all the more reason I say.

My Wedgewood V6 front tyres are only half worn but will require replacing for MOT as the sidewalls have cracks in them.

kelvo 1st September 2018 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2665483)
Thanks Steve, I bought 2 new tyres recently and the fitter said he would do the dot codes for me. After the date, he said to throw out the tyres.

New or New old stock? Quite a difference, I been at autojumble and seen piles of "new old stock" tyres - judging by the dust on them and they have names like John Bull on them they are more than a few years old...

Thing with tyres is you have no idea how they have been stored, that can have quite an effect on their life.

I'm not sure what the recommended shelf life for tyres is. I work in the railway industry and rubber hoses usually have a 5 year shelf life and 7 or 8 year life from fitting, as I went to the stores for a hose that was already passed it's shelf life.

I've go to bus rallies and you see the tyres on the older buses there and you think - just how old are they, just by looking at the condition of them and some of the names.