The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   checks upon new windscreen replacement (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306260)

smudge.g 9th July 2020 12:59

checks upon new windscreen replacement

Hi folks, might sound daft question but having had to have my very first ever windscreen replacement (in 30 years of motoring!!) tomorrow after my tourer developed a nice 8 inch crack whilst sat on the drive during lock down. Assuming that Autoglass actually bring the correct window (I have auto dimming mirror and rain sensor fitted) - is there anything in particular that should be checked prior to letting him leave after the swap?? Am a wee bit nervous that something might go wrong :(
thanks for reading!

Robti 9th July 2020 13:19

check they are working spray of water on the rain sensor and finger over the front sensor on the mirror i think dims it

Vossy 9th July 2020 13:28

Autoglass changed mine, the correct screen and they asked if I had auto wipers and dimming mirror when I called them, the fitter was a nice guy and found some rust on the frame when the glass was out, he treated it with some stuff and showed me before the screen went in.
Hopefully you get the same service.

rab60bit 9th July 2020 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudge.g (Post 2823883)
Hi folks, might sound daft question but having had to have my very first ever windscreen replacement (in 30 years of motoring!!) tomorrow after my tourer developed a nice 8 inch crack whilst sat on the drive during lock down. Assuming that Autoglass actually bring the correct window (I have auto dimming mirror and rain sensor fitted) - is there anything in particular that should be checked prior to letting him leave after the swap?? Am a wee bit nervous that something might go wrong :(
thanks for reading!

Had mine replaced by Autoglass around 3 weeks back. Sounds like the same spec as yours and a very similar fault - mine was a creeping 10" crack from lower O/S corner noticed whilst laid-up on drive replacing the A/C condensor during lockdown.
Excellent service, Pilkington screen. Technician confirmed trim came off with no issues and all the clips were undamaged (added that he had a kit of replacement clips and IHO they didn't fit as well as the originals...), it took him less than an hour in atrocious weather conditions and he even showed me where the old screen was delaminating from near the damaged corner.
If you booked the replacement on-line you will have been asked to supply some technical information such as is your car fitted with a rain sensor. When I booked (and paid for) the work I asked about clips and was assured the worksheet showed these would be replaced as necessary).

trikey 9th July 2020 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vossy (Post 2823889)
Autoglass changed mine, the correct screen and they asked if I had auto wipers and dimming mirror when I called them, the fitter was a nice guy and found some rust on the frame when the glass was out, he treated it with some stuff and showed me before the screen went in.
Hopefully you get the same service.

I was going to say the same, give the guy a cuppa while you clean behind the old screen before the new one goes in.

Rich in Vancouver 9th July 2020 20:46

I could really do with a new windscreen as mine has multiple stone chips from the previous owner. I have spent the past year with the car hoping for a big stone strike to crack the screen so that insurance would cover the cost but no luck so far. :(
I would pay for a new screen myself but as I am on the other side of the world the cost of a screen + airfreight + installation would set me back $1500. cdn so I have to be patient!

Mike Noc 9th July 2020 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver (Post 2823965)
I could really do with a new windscreen as mine has multiple stone chips from the previous owner. I have spent the past year with the car hoping for a big stone strike to crack the screen so that insurance would cover the cost but no luck so far. :(

Don't they sell automatic centre punches in Canada then Rich? ;)

smudge.g 10th July 2020 19:56

1 Attachment(s)
Didnt need to worry, guy from Autoglass did a great job and pointed out that the window had previously been replaced, tackily so given the huge amount of glue that he had to remove!! New window is no-brand and seems to be french!!

Rich in Vancouver 11th July 2020 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2823972)
Don't they sell automatic centre punches in Canada then Rich? ;)

Er, Ummm......

I've heard that a piece of porcelain from a spark plug works well too.:D

To tell the truth it would just be my luck that I would try to pull a fast one and the entire screen would go making the car undriveable. I'm not sure what the procedure is for ordering "One of a kind glass" is here. There were no ZTs/75s sold in Canada or the US, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple of months to arrive. Best case scenario would be if the insurance let me bring in my own (10 days or so) and then reimburse me. As the Insurance corporation is government run I don't imagine it's that simple!

A few years ago the Magnette club brought in a case of new windscreens for members. The organizer was from Seattle so the crate landed there. The screens were in the crate unwrapped and upright with wooden slats to separate them. Homeland Security made him remove all the screens from the crate so that they could inspect them, even though you could see right through to the bottom!:duh:

trikey 11th July 2020 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver (Post 2824426)
Er, Ummm......

I've heard that a piece of porcelain from a spark plug works well too.:D

It certainly does :getmecoat: