The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Air Intake Modification Issue. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=125350)

Odd Job 13th September 2019 14:16

Keeping with the increase of air flow theme,

Has anyone installed a K&N air filter to their diesel 75?
If so, any improvement noticed please?

Thanks

Richard

bl52krz 13th September 2019 19:32

Waste of money and time. There was a video were they changed the normal filter for a K&N filter, and it showed that the engine had lost 2/3 BHP with the k&n filter. Don’t waste your time. People will tell you that they get faster acceleration and more miles per gallon. Evidently must be the ‘placebo’ effect. Buy some good polish and clean the car. It will have more effect.

Arctic 13th September 2019 22:01

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odd Job (Post 2761918)
Keeping with the increase of air flow theme,

Has anyone installed a K&N air filter to their diesel 75?
If so, any improvement noticed please?

Thanks

Richard

They can damage the MAF sensor if they are the oil based ones, steer clear use the original ones. ;)

COLVERT 14th September 2019 19:56

Just ask yourself this question.

How often do I use my engine at 4,500 rpm to try and get some benefit from the so-called easier breathing ???

ZedTeeT 15th September 2019 08:46

Don't wast your time and money on a "performance" air filter. On our cars it's a complete waste as the standard filter can flow plenty of air as its actually quite large with plenty of surface area. They are the same as used on the higher output BMW 320s and they don't seem to struggle with power!

Odd Job 15th September 2019 20:06

Many thanks everyone!

I am used to driving a petrol ZS.

No placebo effect I can assure you. During the summer months I run a replacement panel K&N air filter.
You can immediately feel the difference to how the car drives, it pulls stronger from lower down in the rev range, and driven with a light foot on the loud pedal I get better MPG, I have done the maths!

Anyway.

Diesel is a different animal.
I will take on board what has been said and stick with a good quality air standard air filter.

Many thanks again to everyone!

Canonite 15th September 2019 22:10

I have a non oil lined performance filter and there are no i’ll effects.
I have a number of regular filters so I’m hoping i’ll notice a difference. If so I’ll report back

Odd Job 16th September 2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2762549)
I have a non oil lined performance filter and there are no i’ll effects.
I have a number of regular filters so I’m hoping i’ll notice a difference. If so I’ll report back

Please do!
What make of performance filter do you have?

BigRuss 16th September 2019 11:39

On our diesels "Performance" air filters and intake mods including intercoolers that promise greater airflow will generally have the a detrimental effect on performance.

If you look at the airflow as measured by the MAF as standard and then compare it with the modification you'll find that often the airflow actually drops instead of increasing ;)

As the airflow as read by the MAF controls the fueling, this means less fuel is injected.

Recently looked at a car that was experiencing poor performance, lo and behold it had a "performance" intercooler fitted. I've come across this a few times now.

Alter anything to do with the inlet system on the diesel that affects the airflow and you're most likely to be wasting your time or giving yourself less performance not more ;)

Russ

Dorchester2 17th September 2019 16:59

I'm very pleased with a K&N filter in my V6 2.5.
Here are the mods I've done:
- K&N filter
- 7 holes drilled in the bottom of the air box
- non restrictive MIJ Exhaust ss line
- I've tested with & without the trumpet. Conclusion: do keep the trumpet & its Venturi effect. Taking off the trumpet does absolutely no good.

K&N with the holes filter does nothing to increase the mpg (maybe the contrary), but what a feast when kicking down! I feel a huge kick in the ass.
I've tested with K&N fitted before & after drilling the holes: it makes a massive & astounding difference. I'm now overtaking like a bullet! :p: