The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Buzzing from one speaker (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291402)

Big.Al 29th December 2018 15:32

Buzzing from one speaker

Hi everyone.

I've been having an intermittent buzzing noise from my right rear speaker (both the tweeter and the big one) on and off for a few months. It comes on when I turn the lights on and its quite loud. If the light are off you can hear a very slight whine from the engine revving through the same speakers but it mainly the lights. I can get the noise too go away completely by restarting the engine but even that does not work anymore or the interference will come back quickly.

I had a highline system fitted when I bought the car a few years ago but replaced it as the DVD unit was dead due to a leak from a rear seam leak. So I fitted a Pioneer F77DAB by running a set of ISO leads all the way to the boot (tourer) and using a BMW adapter to wire into the loom in the boot so that the amp would still send a signal to the factory fitted sub. Everything has been working great until a few months ago now loads of intermittent noise. I can usually get it to go away by restarting the engine sometime takes a few go's.

I was thinking of replacing the headunit but would like some opinions before I do that as I like the headunit.

Cheers.

HarryM1BYT 29th December 2018 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big.Al (Post 2697929)

I had a highline system fitted when I bought the car a few years ago but replaced it as the DVD unit was dead due to a leak from a rear seam leak. So I fitted a Pioneer F77DAB by running a set of ISO leads all the way to the boot (tourer) and using a BMW adapter to wire into the loom in the boot so that the amp would still send a signal to the factory fitted sub. Everything has been working great until a few months ago now loads of intermittent noise. I can usually get it to go away by restarting the engine sometime takes a few go's.
Cheers.

Have you checked the wheel well for water?

Big.Al 29th December 2018 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2698018)
Have you checked the wheel well for water?

Yes not had any issues with leaks for a few years.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryM1BYT 30th December 2018 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big.Al (Post 2698027)
Yes not had any issues with leaks for a few years.

Thanks.

You say you re-used the existing amp (HK amp?), might that have suffered form damp? Lead solder as used on PCB tracks can develop conductive 'whiskers', perhaps the amp has developed these lead 'whiskers' and these shorting tracks is causing your issue..

Big.Al 30th December 2018 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2698399)
You say you re-used the existing amp (HK amp?), might that have suffered form damp? Lead solder as used on PCB tracks can develop conductive 'whiskers', perhaps the amp has developed these lead 'whiskers' and these shorting tracks is causing your issue..

Managed to fix it. As I pulled the head unit out with the ignition on and lights on to hear the buzzing it stopped as I pulled it out from the dash. I couldn’t find any loose or frayed wires tidied the wires up and put back. So far so good.

Not sure what the cause was.