The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How often do you change/upgrade your pc (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291761)

macafee2 10th January 2019 07:37

How often do you change/upgrade your pc

just wondering how often people change or upgrade their pc or laptop.
By upgrade I mean new operating system and or hard drive.

I think we are on our 3rd pc and first laptop.
I still have our second pc and its 12 years old with something like a 40gb or is it mb hard drive. It's way to small for me to use to back up my laptop or pc.

macafee2

Lancpudn 10th January 2019 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2701126)
just wondering how often people change or upgrade their pc or laptop.
By upgrade I mean new operating system and or hard drive.

I think we are on our 3rd pc and first laptop.
I still have our second pc and its 12 years old with something like a 40gb or is it mb hard drive. It's way to small for me to use to back up my laptop or pc.

macafee2

I change the Ubuntu & Linux OS's on my desktop PC's every five years when the LTS (long term support) runs out, just hit the upgrade button when it flashes up on screen and it takes 15 minutes to change everything over to the new OS, but recently I've been swapping the hard drives out for SSD's on my old desktops.

They run like new machines.:cool:

ceedy 10th January 2019 07:55

think i'm 3 or is it 4 :duh: years since i put in my 6 core CPU, motherboard, 2 TB 16gb ram etc .... still running ok for gaming and other stuff ,

Still on Win 7 been on 10 and back to 7 for me ..for the moment :getmecoat:

C

topman 10th January 2019 08:16

Can't say I ever have upgraded either not that I can remember on my laptops. Haven't had a PC in i can't remember how long, too big for me. I much prefer a laptop although I've got a chromebook at the moment.

ceedy 10th January 2019 09:04

given both our old Laptops a boost with maximum ram and fitting an SSD in place of the Hard drive

and both are very usable again, even the single Core CPU jobbie ..

Definately worth investigating before splashing out on a new machine

C

Lancpudn 10th January 2019 11:07

I have a good spec desktop computer with windows 10 that I use for music recording & video editing and certain software that only work on Microsoft, I fire it up about once a month to keep abreast of the updates otherwise it's all day of a job updating it.
I much prefer Ubuntu for everyday use.

Rogue 10th January 2019 11:17

I game a bit so its a fairly constant upgrade process. The next one will be a complete rebuild though as i will be switching to a Ryzen Cpu so new mobo, Ssd and ram at least. Will probably move over the Gtx1060 for now as it's still reasonably capable.

Nick Greg 10th January 2019 12:34

Just popped a 1tb SSD in my laptop (cost me £89) and the darned think runs like stink. Boots up in 15 secs and loads big photo files in an instant. Best upgrade ever. Had a spare bay so I still have original HDD as a backup. Well worth it.

Teflon 10th January 2019 14:15

Upgraded motherboard, graphics, memory and CPU (so pretty much a new PC :}) 2 years ago and it is still coping easily with everything I throw at it - mainly photo shop and some fps gaming. I have an SSD for the system drive to keep things nice and speedy, with a hybrid drive for programmes and storage, plus a Synology NAS to store system backups and a copy of my media library.

I upgraded to Win 10 when the offer of a free upgrade was first made and hated it for the first 2 weeks, but gradually learned how to get it the way I want. Now, I absolutely love it :D!

Cliff

humphshumphs 10th January 2019 14:21

Always tinkering with one of my Laptops or PCs.

Changing drives for SSDs, adding RAID drives in, whatever takes my fancy.

Purchased a bundle of bits from Ebay over Christmas so going to cobble something together from that lot.

:D:D