The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Before I go mental, pinch bolt help! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=265277)

Juego 10th April 2017 16:39

Before I go mental, pinch bolt help!

Trying to get my struts swapped over otherwise it's a mobile mechanic to remove the hub.

Can't get the pinch bolt to move in the hub! It's currently soaking in release oil that's been sprayed vigorously all over both sides. Any advice on it before I need to pay someone as removing the hub etc is beyond my capabilities!

I would like to bring her to POL after getting a part worn tyre fitted.

DaPol 10th April 2017 17:32

When I did mine, I *doused* both ends of the bolt, and the middle in a made up mix of 50/50 acetone/ATF and left it for a week - that and a 36" breaker bar with a decent socket and they just moved happily.

Failing that, I'd suggest getting a 6 sided (impact drive) socket and at least a 28" breaker bar, and applying force of the "brute" variety.

Juego 10th April 2017 17:35

Can't leave it a week because I'd like it for Friday to leave for POL lol, I'll try the breaker bar but it's getting a breaker bar that'll fit a 15mm socket.

mystabe 10th April 2017 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juego (Post 2474502)
Can't leave it a week because I'd like it for Friday to leave for POL lol, I'll try the breaker bar but it's getting a breaker bar that'll fit a 15mm socket.

You can buy 1/2" 15mm sockets for impact drivers (and normal 1/2" 15mm sockets come to that) from an engineers merchants easily - even Halfords probably.

Get the socket to fit the breaker bar, they are cheaper :D

Juego 10th April 2017 17:46

Lol yeah I'll have a look and see what I can find in Halfords or somewhere. Got a few friends who are mechanics so they might have something about. Don't think I'll get in with an impact driver as I have an impact driver in the shed

Best_of_British 10th April 2017 17:50

I had to admit defeat with one of mine and took the whole leg out and cut the bolt through the gap. Chucked the old hub as bearing was damaged and put 2nd hand one on. I have found them the trickiest bolt on car.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Walter 10th April 2017 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juego (Post 2474507)
Lol yeah I'll have a look and see what I can find in Halfords or somewhere. Got a few friends who are mechanics so they might have something about. Don't think I'll get in with an impact driver as I have an impact driver in the shed

Are you trying to split the shocker and spring complete, on a Rover 75 you have enough room with out breaking the wishbone at bottom, perhaps worth trying , unless your changing wishbone as well :shrug:

Juego 10th April 2017 17:53

If push comes to shove I'll have to get the hub removed off the car as I'm not replacing bits I don't need to. The car is having lowering springs fitted at the end of the month regardless so if I need to grind the end off the spring to allow the car to be moved back into the driveway that's what I'll do until the end of the month and then pay to get someone to remove the hub and fit the lowering springs.

Juego 10th April 2017 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter (Post 2474515)
Are you trying to split the shocker and spring complete, on a Rover 75 you have enough room with out breaking the wishbone at bottom, perhaps worth trying , unless your changing wishbone as well :shrug:

Just need the spring swapped if I can't get the complete shock out, if it can be done without removing the hub then happy days, but upon looking I don't think there's room to pull the complete strut down to allow it to be changed in situ?

Walter 10th April 2017 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juego (Post 2474517)
Just need the spring swapped if I can't get the complete shock out, if it can be done without removing the hub then happy days, but upon looking I don't think there's room to pull the complete strut down to allow it to be changed in situ?

We done it on Atcchus car month ago, just need long lever bar ,shock and spring complete ,so its definitely possible :shrug: fitting reversal of dismantle as Haynes manual says