The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2800rpm KV6 hits a wall (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=270041)

VeeSix 5th July 2017 22:27

2800rpm KV6 hits a wall

I have an intermittent fault on my ZT190. Started with a hesitation at 2800rpm then went away after we found a fuel leak (thought that was it). Today back with a vengeance, the car won't rev past 2800rpm and the engine management flashes up a fault for a fraction of a second then engine falls back down, gutless. Not a slight misfire, its like its hitting the rev limiter, the ignition or fuel cut off is total, like hitting a wall.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Have changed plugs, swapped coil packs and also crank sensor around with another car that was running fine. No improvement.

PhilR75 6th July 2017 08:29

If the engine management light flashes up a fault briefly, it would be worth finding someone with a T4 to look into what the failure information might be. It might help you find out what's wrong. There's a VIS valve switch somewhere around that engine speed, but I wouldn't have thought that the effect of a VIS failure would be as drastic as you've described. Good luck!

murphyv310 6th July 2017 10:23

Sounds like fuel starvation. If it's 2001 onward check for slight fuel filter separation could be just enough for the engine to bog down when more power and thus more fuel is required.

VeeSix 6th July 2017 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilR75 (Post 2514519)
If the engine management light flashes up a fault briefly, it would be worth finding someone with a T4 to look into what the failure information might be. It might help you find out what's wrong. There's a VIS valve switch somewhere around that engine speed, but I wouldn't have thought that the effect of a VIS failure would be as drastic as you've described. Good luck!

Thanks Phil, I tried a new manifold I had laying around just in case. I've messaged Phil T4 which is the nearest guy to me but no response, maybe he is on holiday.

Regards

VeeSix 6th July 2017 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 2514573)
Sounds like fuel starvation. If it's 2001 onward check for slight fuel filter separation could be just enough for the engine to bog down when more power and thus more fuel is required.

Thanks Murphy, I'll take a look.

Its now doing it all the time, like Kangaroo petrol!

minimutly 6th July 2017 16:47

Sounds like fuel filter or pump, defo not vis motors related. Might be blocked cat though, but that's usually gradual.

VeeSix 6th July 2017 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimutly (Post 2514702)
Sounds like fuel filter or pump, defo not vis motors related. Might be blocked cat though, but that's usually gradual.

Thanks Minimutly. Back seat coming out tomorrow for an investigation!

VeeSix 17th July 2017 17:28

Tried that but no luck...

Pump/filter housing out which looked promising as the seal was creased and cracked. Swapped seal, cleaned fuel filter and all back in. Still drives the same, can't do 1/4mile before its like kangaroo petrol, stuttering and not pulling at all. Will keep going if you gently hold the throttle at one point but soon as you try and accelerate the power disappears and the engine management light flickers on.

Very sad :-(

chris75 17th July 2017 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeSix (Post 2514678)
I've messaged Phil T4 which is the nearest guy to me but no response, maybe he is on holiday.

Regards

Have you tried any Diagnostics code reader on it ? Don't necessarily need a T4. It's the only way to go really . :}
Do you know anyone you can borrow one from ?

VeeSix 17th July 2017 21:56

Which code reader

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 2518973)
Have you tried any Diagnostics code reader on it ? Don't necessarily need a T4. It's the only way to go really . :}
Do you know anyone you can borrow one from ?

I'll get one, any recommendations? When I looked them up before everyone said no you need a T4...?