The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Which wired rear view camera for tourer? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=286913)

Sjonnie 11th August 2018 17:43

Which wired rear view camera for tourer?

Hi All,

I am looking for a rear view camera for my newly acquired MG ZT-T. I would (really) like a camera that replaces one of the number plate lights but can't figure out what camera I need. On eBay/Ali there are a zillion types to choose from but which will fit?

I seem to remember that Sean (RadioGuy) had a camera specifically for the tourer / ZT-T but can't find it.

I have been searching this forum but have been unable to find the camera type / make I need.

Any help (as always) greatly appreciated!

Ennine 11th August 2018 20:37

1 Attachment(s)
The original tourer camera as supplied by sean fitted above the number plate between the lights. When mine packed up I found a replacement on the bay for £8.00. Very similar to this.
As long as you don't let anyone grab the camera instead of the tailgate release it's fine. I do know members have fitted alternatives. You can see the camera type in the image. The one I have posted the link to is a little wider so cannot confirm it would fit as well but there are plenty of the original type to be found on bay and amazon.

Sjonnie 12th August 2018 09:52

Thanks!

I will have a look at those type of cameras. Was hoping to find one that would replace a number plate light. Less chance of gripping the camera when trying to open the boot ;)

Gren 24 12th August 2018 10:02

1 Attachment(s)
Hi this is the one off Sean (RadioGuy) I fitted to my Tourer. The small camera on the right is a rear dvr, both are not in the way of opening the tailgate.

It may give you some idea on what sort to look for.

Good luck with finding one

Les

Ennine 12th August 2018 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie (Post 2659256)
Thanks!

I will have a look at those type of cameras. Was hoping to find one that would replace a number plate light. Less chance of gripping the camera when trying to open the boot ;)

The number plate lights are not a simple pop out pop in job. It would entail quite a revamp. If you were up to taking on the mods yourself then maybe a single stud fixing camera could be mounted.

A few members have fitted cams to the rear bumper.

If you wanted to fit to the number plate light area, maybe get a complete used rear trim and modify it on the bench then swap it out when you're happy with it. May seem like a lot of work but if any mods are worth doing on these cars, they are worth doing well.

Ennine 12th August 2018 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gren 24 (Post 2659257)
Hi this is the one off Sean (RadioGuy) I fitted to my Tourer. The small camera on the right is a rear dvr, both are not in the way of opening the tailgate.

Les

Yes, that is the same camera. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. The camera is not in the way of the tailgate release but an unwitting person could mistake it for the tailgate release.

Sjonnie 12th August 2018 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gren 24 (Post 2659257)

Les

Thanks for taking the time to make (and edit :D) a photo on a Sunday.

This photo helps in deciding what to do. It almost looks OEM ;)

Sjonnie 12th August 2018 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ennine (Post 2659258)
The number plate lights are not a simple pop out pop in job. It would entail quite a revamp. If you were up to taking on the mods yourself then maybe a single stud fixing camera could be mounted.

A few members have fitted cams to the rear bumper.

If you wanted to fit to the number plate light area, maybe get a complete used rear trim and modify it on the bench then swap it out when you're happy with it. May seem like a lot of work but if any mods are worth doing on these cars, they are worth doing well.

Thanks for the additional info. I have been swapping the dashboard panels and installed my NavAll1 the last couple of days so I would not mind an easier mod next :)

Gren 24 12th August 2018 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie (Post 2659264)
Thanks for taking the time to make (and edit :D) a photo on a Sunday.

This photo helps in deciding what to do. It almost looks OEM ;)

If you do decide to put the camera the way I did its quit easy. From the Navall up along the piller to the roof along the side of the roof to the back then remove the facier or what ever its called from the back of the tailgate and thread the wire the way the tailgate handle wire goes.

Sjonnie 12th August 2018 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gren 24 (Post 2659287)
If you do decide to put the camera the way I did its quit easy. From the Navall up along the piller to the roof along the side of the roof to the back then remove the facier or what ever its called from the back of the tailgate and thread the wire the way the tailgate handle wire goes.

Most helpful! I will order such a camera and lead the wire along the roof. Much easier than leading it along the sill as I have come to experience (antenna extension wire was a bit of a hassle :mad:)