The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How reliable is turbo (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299242)

donc 14th September 2019 21:32

How reliable is turbo

Hi I'm told there is some play in the turbo on my 1.8. How likely is it to give way? Is it better to replace now or wait until it deteriorates further and what would be the effect of that. Would welcome advice.

T-Cut 14th September 2019 21:50

Play in the turbo's shaft will eventually allow enough oil into the exhaust flow to create blue smoke. Any hint of blue haze from the exhaust when driving indicates the CHRA will need replacing. The turbo compressor runs around 250K rpm so the shaft floats on an oil film. There's clearly a small gap between shaft, bearings and seals, but when that gets palpable, it means there's some wear. However, I wouldn't rush to buy a new CHRA unless there's a faint blue emission. Lack of clean oil in the sump kills turbochargers.

TC

ceedy 15th September 2019 11:29

If its loose like a dogs doodah !:duh:
this is what you get.. :eek:

Seems a regular occurrence some time after the HG has gone and its been running on oil and Water

:D

https://imgur.com/Dym3oVe

C

FLYING BANANA 15th September 2019 11:59

Up and till yesterday my 1.8t was running ok, but the turbo unit never been replaced or worked on and we are currently on 206,100 miles.

Hoping the mechanical problem that has sidelined us is a simple fix.

Yorkshire GOC 15th September 2019 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by donc (Post 2762256)
Hi I'm told there is some play in the turbo on my 1.8. How likely is it to give way? Is it better to replace now or wait until it deteriorates further and what would be the effect of that. Would welcome advice.

I personally would wait for blue tinted exhaust or turbo whine before replacing - i would also replace the whole turbo as opposed just to the CHRA cartridge - seem to hear a lot of stories of CHRA failure in the context of turbo reapir..:shrug:

roverbarmy 15th September 2019 13:05

Turbos! Quart into a pint pot. Unhealthy way of powering a vehicle! :getmecoat:

donc 15th September 2019 15:20

How reliable is turbo

Many thanks everyone. I think I'll let it soldier on for the time being.

COLVERT 15th September 2019 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2762395)
Turbos! Quart into a pint pot. Unhealthy way of powering a vehicle! :getmecoat:

Speak for yourself.

You get more bangs for your buck and produce less pollution.

A better way of burning carbon fuel if you have to use it.---;)

roverbarmy 15th September 2019 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2762438)
Speak for yourself.

I was! :D I spent years replacing turbos on engines that were fine before the manufacturers started "messing" with them. Some of the old Ford commercial engines ran for the life of the chassis but with the "new fangled" turbos, they were cooking engines left, right and centre. The drivers loved them because they were much faster on acceleration but the mechanics hated them. :shrug:

COLVERT 15th September 2019 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2762440)
I was! :D I spent years replacing turbos on engines that were fine before the manufacturers started "messing" with them. Some of the old Ford commercial engines ran for the life of the chassis but with the "new fangled" turbos, they were cooking engines left, right and centre. The drivers loved them because they were much faster on acceleration but the mechanics hated them. :shrug:

Whoops. previous post. Rhetorical question.---:D

I think now that the engines have caught up with the turbines and our Rover ones seem to work very well with our engines as long as the engine oil is in good condition.---:D