The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pre and Post Facelift Interchangeability (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298581)

havvacuppa 21st August 2019 19:41

Pre and Post Facelift Interchangeability

HI, this might be a silly question but I want to be absolutely certain so I'm asking the experts (aka you good people!).

I have a 2005 facelift CDTi, needs a few bits and bobs and I know someone who's breaking a 2001 model. Will I have any problem swapping over the following:

Rear nearside door
Boot lid (his has a lock, mine doesn't)
Headlamps (under the bodywork, are the headlamps actually the same?)

All advice, warnings, etc, gratefully received :D

trikey 21st August 2019 19:45

Everything will swap over except the headlights.

Rick-sta 21st August 2019 19:53

the headlights are different, to have mki headlights you'll also have to fit the mki front bumper which is interchangeable.

You may want the key for that bootlid, although it will work electronically via the boot release button and also by holding down the unlock button on your key.

macafee2 21st August 2019 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by havvacuppa (Post 2756693)
HI, this might be a silly question but I want to be absolutely certain so I'm asking the experts (aka you good people!).

I have a 2005 facelift CDTi, needs a few bits and bobs and I know someone who's breaking a 2001 model. Will I have any problem swapping over the following:

Rear nearside door
Boot lid (his has a lock, mine doesn't)
Headlamps (under the bodywork, are the headlamps actually the same?)

All advice, warnings, etc, gratefully received :D

what is wrong with your headlights, if cloudy they can be polished using one of many kits but I've used a 3m kit

Re boot lid. Your key wont fit the lock. To open the boot, you need to press and hold your unlock button and the boot will unlock. There is also a button in the drivers footwell on the right hand side by your ankle.
I don't know if the press and hold unlock button feature would work on a MKI's boot lid but see post above.

macafee2

macafee2 21st August 2019 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2756698)
the headlights are different, to have mki headlights you'll also have to fit the mki front bumper which is interchangeable.

You may want the key for that bootlid, although it will work electronically via the boot release button and also by holding down the unlock button on your key.

will a MKI car unlock the boot via press and hold the unlock button or only the MKII ?

macafee2

trikey 21st August 2019 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2756708)
will a MKI car unlock the boot via press and hold the unlock button or only the MKII ?

macafee2

Only the MK2 (Unless you fit the BCU from a MK2 to a MK1)

havvacuppa 21st August 2019 21:41

Thanks for the info folks, good point about the boot lid - I like the press and hold to open, not sure I'll be able to get the key for the replacement as he wants to get rid of the other doors at some point, so not sure if it's worth the risk?

One thing I forgot to mention about the passenger door, the older ones had the chrome strip along the exterior, on my later one its colour-coded, it looks like it will pop off quite easily so I can swap them, anyone know if there are any hidden dangers lurking there?

As for my headlights, they're really fogged up, I've used TurtleWax clear headlamp kit on them but didn't improve much, is the 3M kit much better?

macafee2 22nd August 2019 05:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by havvacuppa (Post 2756725)
Thanks for the info folks, good point about the boot lid - I like the press and hold to open, not sure I'll be able to get the key for the replacement as he wants to get rid of the other doors at some point, so not sure if it's worth the risk?

One thing I forgot to mention about the passenger door, the older ones had the chrome strip along the exterior, on my later one its colour-coded, it looks like it will pop off quite easily so I can swap them, anyone know if there are any hidden dangers lurking there?

As for my headlights, they're really fogged up, I've used TurtleWax clear headlamp kit on them but didn't improve much, is the 3M kit much better?

I had a good result with a 3m kit. It costs about 20 quid and you need a drill to use it. some folk do it by hand:eek:

macafee2

Mike Trident 22nd August 2019 14:45

Have you sanded through the coating yet?

You need to sand off all the coating on your lights before you get anywhere near a finish on them.

Rick-sta 22nd August 2019 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2756708)

macafee2

Only the MKII does this, if you have the BCU replaced with a mkii one and programmed in the boot release via the key will work, had this done on my mki ZT years ago :)