The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rover 75 2.5 auto Gear Box Fuse (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296699)

Dennisperkins 18th June 2019 10:44

Rover 75 2.5 auto Gear Box Fuse

can anyone advise me please, the 15 amp fuse for the auto gearbox on my Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Highline keeps blowing and i cant see why, strange thing is that the internal courtesy lights keep fluttering as well.:shrug:

slovcan 19th June 2019 02:44

Bump. This sounds familiar. I don't have the answer, but I'm sure someone does.

Good luck,
Glenn

SD1too 19th June 2019 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennisperkins (Post 2741480)
can anyone advise me please, the 15 amp fuse for the auto gearbox on my Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Highline keeps blowing ...

Which fuse number please Dennis, and are you looking in the underbonnet or passenger footwell fusebox? :shrug:

Simon

Dennisperkins 19th June 2019 10:11

not quite sure what number it is but in the fuse box in the engine compartment its the 15 amp fuse 2nd down on the right hand side which keeps blowing (RH drive) according my handbook its fuse No 4 but it its written as "Automatic transmission, air conditioning, cooling fan, cruise control (diesel models). also when the fuse blows, the indicator lights by the selector lever and the indicator on the on the instrument panel do not work.

SD1too 19th June 2019 11:36

F4, engine compartment fusebox

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennisperkins (Post 2741762)
... when the fuse blows, the indicator lights by the selector lever ... do not work.

Yes, F4 feeds the automatic transmission selector switch as well as:
  • Radiator fan control box electronics
  • Air conditioning compressor clutch relay coil
  • Reversing light switch
  • A header feeding other circuits

The fuse is blowing because there's a short circuit somewhere. A prime suspect is the feed to the radiator fan control box where it passes either under the fusebox or close to the inner nearside wing where the wire can be severed by a sharp edge. This fault only seems to affect diesels so I suggest that you look there first. It's initially a yellow wire with blue tracer.

Simon

Dennisperkins 21st June 2019 14:55

Hi Simon I had a look and from what i could see without taking things apart everything looked ok id be grateful if you had any other suggestions. thanks:shrug:

SD1too 21st June 2019 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennisperkins (Post 2742296)
... from what i could see without taking things apart everything looked ok ...

Well it obviously isn't because your fuse is blowing. I'm afraid that you'll have to remove things to trace the route of the wire I mentioned from the fusebox to the connectors behind the fan control box.

Simon

Dennisperkins 14th August 2020 14:04

Solved i think

Well i think i had one of those light bulb moments, i noticed that the problem was getting worse and that it happened when i selected a gear (auto) i then had a look on the internet and found that although there was a selector mechanism that was mechanical it was linked to the gearbox electronically, i asked my garage to have a look, they told me that they checked the wiring and although it was being crushed when gears were selected the casing to the wiring did not seem damaged anyway they moved the wiring and since then the problem has gone. they didn't charge me because they did not know if they fixed it but when the car goes in for some other work i'll ask them to do a more permanent protection job.

SD1too 14th August 2020 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennisperkins (Post 2831026)
... I asked my garage to have a look, they told me that they checked the wiring and although it was being crushed when gears were selected ...

Was I on the right lines then Dennis?

Simon