The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Towing season soon.. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302478)

HarryM1BYT 28th January 2020 19:57

Towing season soon..

So in preparation, I went out to open the gas locker to check my gas bottle was as I remembered it - full. It was, but the gas strut which helps raise the locker lid on my Bailey, had failed and was blathered in leaked fluid.

I couldn't see an obvious strength marked on the failed strut, but I could measured the open length and see the end connection type, 400mm and a right angle to the strut thread, so I took a chance and ordered pair on ebay, for £12.99 of the correct type and size, where no strength was indicated.

Fitted yesterday and the strength seems about right for the job.

Just waiting for weather to pick up now and the caravan can have a good scrub up, to get all the moss of it. I have never known so much moss appear on it, as it has this past year parked in my drive..

reworht 28th January 2020 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2789647)

Just waiting for weather to pick up now and the caravan can have a good scrub up, to get all the moss of it. I have never known so much moss appear on it, as it has this past year parked in my drive..

Mine also is more or less green all over - maybe down to a mild back end and Winter up to now?

HarryM1BYT 29th January 2020 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by reworht (Post 2789663)
Mine also is more or less green all over - maybe down to a mild back end and Winter up to now?

Yes, it has been very mild. My drive and paths are the same, covered in moss too. I'm just waiting for the better weather, to get the pressure washer out..

macafee2 31st January 2020 20:38

As caravans have a tendency to leak I had a caravan port built.
My front garden is just about all moss by the look of it.

I will be replacing the caravans tyres soon as 5 years old. Don't know why they suggest caravans tyres are changed at 5 years but no others. £75 each.

I also put my caravan on axle stands over winter to let the suspension rest.

Cant wait to get away and relax, caravanning, I don't think for me there is a better holiday.

macafee2

Jim Jamieson 1st February 2020 09:06

Yes there’s nothing like it to soothe the mind when the rain just starts to drizzle as you hitch up to go away then turns to a gentle downpour on arrival at the site, not to mention the delightful pitter patter on the roof as yo are trying to get to sleep during the night.

Mine is completely covered in a soft green layer but that’s my Protec cover which allows me to literally go straight out onto a site if I so desired but obviously I have to check it over and re stock it with Gin and Wine

Roll on the good weather.

HarryM1BYT 1st February 2020 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 2790294)
Yes there’s nothing like it to soothe the mind when the rain just starts to drizzle as you hitch up to go away then turns to a gentle downpour on arrival at the site, not to mention the delightful pitter patter on the roof as yo are trying to get to sleep during the night.

The pitter patter of rain on the roof was always the best part for me, tucked up warm in bed and it helped send me to sleep. I don't hear it so much in modern caravans, because they are so well insulated, it suppresses the noise.

roverbarmy 2nd February 2020 17:53

Easter week usually sees a couple or more caravans flipped on the A17 and A47 (gateway to the Broads), usually caused by blown tyres. The roads usually end up with textiles and matchwood scattered all over. I've seen caravan chassis' on their sides with towing vehicles rear ends in the air. Do those checks folks. Don't stint on tyres.;)

HarryM1BYT 4th February 2020 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2790239)
I will be replacing the caravans tyres soon as 5 years old. Don't know why they suggest caravans tyres are changed at 5 years but no others. £75 each.

I would guess that, is because car tyres tend to need replacement anyway before five years, due to wear. Caravan tyres tend not to wear much at all, so just need replacing through old age..

There is no law which demands they be replaced at that age and in many cases is probably over cautious, but much depends on how they are looked after, how UV they have been subjected to. One thing to be wary of, is being sold tyres which have been held in stock for years. The 5 year age limit suggestion includes time they may have sat on a dealers shelf.

macafee2 7th February 2020 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2790969)
I would guess that, is because car tyres tend to need replacement anyway before five years, due to wear. Caravan tyres tend not to wear much at all, so just need replacing through old age..

There is no law which demands they be replaced at that age and in many cases is probably over cautious, but much depends on how they are looked after, how UV they have been subjected to. One thing to be wary of, is being sold tyres which have been held in stock for years. The 5 year age limit suggestion includes time they may have sat on a dealers shelf.

local dealer can supply from their supplier but they are 4 1/2 months old, in truth I don't think that will be a problem but I'd have preferred not more then 2 months.

macafee2

Discofan 18th February 2020 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2790239)
As caravans have a tendency to leak I had a caravan port built.
My front garden is just about all moss by the look of it.

I also put my caravan on axle stands over winter to let the suspension rest.

Cant wait to get away and relax, caravanning, I don't think for me there is a better holiday.

macafee2

The caravan tyres generally sit on one portion for long periods of time, potentially flat spotting them. They deteriorate through sun, rain etc. Small price to pay to keep your van safe on the road and your holiday plans intact.
What I found to my cost last season was the gas hose between cylinder and regulator had perished and was leaking (caravan 7 years old). It was Good Friday and just arrived on site and was setting up, and I was lucky to find a caravan dealer had one only 15 miles away!
Well worth a check before setting off.