The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Scottish independence. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=176386)

philjudo 11th March 2014 11:46

Scottish independence.

If it goes to an independent Scotland what will happen to Sottish number plates??

Strange the things that go throgh your head when you sit down for a lunch break.

TriumphStag 11th March 2014 11:53

They will continue to use ours.... just like everything else Salmond doesn't have an answer to.

mickm1 11th March 2014 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriumphStag (Post 1604188)
They will continue to use ours.... just like everything else Salmond doesn't have an answer to.

Define "ours"? :shrug:;)

marinabrian 11th March 2014 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickm1 (Post 1604230)
Define "ours"? :shrug:;)

United Kingdom, as in part of the union Scotland, Wales, England, and Northern Ireland.

I hope Scotland doesn't vote for independence personally, but that's just me :)

Brian :D

mickm1 11th March 2014 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 1604233)
United Kingdom, as in part of the union Scotland, Wales, England, and Northern Ireland.

I hope Scotland doesn't vote for independence personally, but that's just me :)

Brian :D

Salmond is deffo not the guy to lead us into it thats for sure, Im in the vote NO camp anyway as too many unanswered questions for my liking.
I can understand however why a lot of people would like to break away from the union, more importantly an alliance with the pompous neighbours :D

TriumphStag 11th March 2014 12:54

Ours as in something shared by the four nations that Scotland no longer wants to be a part of.

mickm1 11th March 2014 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriumphStag (Post 1604237)
Ours as in something shared by the four nations that Scotland no longer wants to be a part of.

The people will vote but u cant tar everyone with the same stick as an egotistical maniac. If Scotland gets independence then il bet 1 of your english pounds to one of our ginger bottles that Salmond walks away, job done. Then when it goes pear shaped he wont be taking the flak!

doopydug 11th March 2014 13:04

Quote:

Not quite right - only a small portion of Scotland no longer wants to be a part of - thankfully, the majority are in the Unionist camp

TriumphStag 11th March 2014 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickm1 (Post 1604239)
The people will vote but u cant tar everyone with the same stick as an egotistical maniac. If Scotland gets independence then il bet 1 of your english pounds to one of our ginger bottles that Salmond walks away, job done. Then when it goes pear shaped he wont be taking the flak!

No chance. If Scotland does gain independence (which I don't think will happen as I believe the majority of Scots don't want it) then Salmond will revel in the power trip of his life. Say what you like about our politicians being useless (which they are), Salmond will be a nightmare for the Scottish people.

mickm1 11th March 2014 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriumphStag (Post 1604250)
No chance. If Scotland does gain independence (which I don't think will happen as I believe the majority of Scots don't want it) then Salmond will revel in the power trip of his life. Say what you like about our politicians being useless (which they are), Salmond will be a nightmare for the Scottish people.

I dont disagree with what u say about him. The mans ego knows no boundaries. I honestly think he wants to known as the man that gained independence for scotland... not the man who watched Scotland suffer the aftermath

Stormbringer 11th March 2014 14:22

It'll be interesting for me lol as Blue was first registered in Edinburgh and now Lives in Berkshire

berkshirelad 11th March 2014 14:26

But it's not just registrations.

What about driving licences, etc. Even if Scotland were to set up its own equivalent of the DVLA, who would end up paying for a new licence.

Also, a Scottish registered vehicle can only be driven in England/Wales/NI for 6 months in any 12 and a Scottish driving licence would need to be replaced by a DVLA one after 6 months residence in what remained of the UK.

And let's not start on mail, passports, etc.

andy1968 11th March 2014 14:29

I think if Scotland does go solo it will cause problems for both Scotland and what remains of the UK (or whatever it will be called then)

Such as, will Scotland automatically be a member of the EU ?

Where will the nuclear subs be based ?

Will Scotland continue to use sterling ?

Yella Fella 11th March 2014 14:35

berkshirelad 11th March 2014 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy1968 (Post 1604309)
I think if Scotland does go solo it will cause problems for both Scotland and what remains of the UK (or whatever it will be called then)

Such as, will Scotland automatically be a member of the EU ?

Where will the nuclear subs be based ?

Will Scotland continue to use sterling ?

AIUI, the EU have said that Scotland would need to apply for membership in their own right - and as a 'new' member would be required to adopt the Euro.

If Scotland were outside the EU, then we would need to enforce border controls and HMRC at the Scotland/England border. A bit like putting Hadrian's Wall back into service...

As far as the Nukes are concerned, the subs could easily be based at Devonport or Portsmouth. Faslane can keep the leaky on ethough...

philjudo 11th March 2014 14:51

I only wondered what Scottish plates would look like.

From a personal point of view I would be sorry at a split and being ex forces with loads of Scottish mates I think it would be a shame, Banter with the Scots is one thing reality is another, we've been through a lot together, if that's what they want then fine.

Licence, AA / RAC etc cover, insurance, MOT, how will that change.

Amazing what a lunch break can have you thinking about.

wmj 11th March 2014 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by berkshirelad (Post 1604325)
AIUI, the EU have said that Scotland would need to apply for membership in their own right - and as a 'new' member would be required to adopt the Euro.

If Scotland were outside the EU, then we would need to enforce border controls and HMRC at the Scotland/England border. A bit like putting Hadrian's Wall back into service...

As far as the Nukes are concerned, the subs could easily be based at Devonport or Portsmouth. Faslane can keep the leaky on ethough...

There are International legal experts still arguing about whether if Scotland vote yes, both Scotland and the remaining UK may both become “successor states.” The argument being that without Scotland the UK is no longer the original country that applied for EU membership and has effectively also became a new state. If the EU tries to block an independent Scotland from joining, I think it would be fair to say the legality of the UK's continuing membership may be questioned. That's assuming the rest of the UK have not already voted to leave the EU themselves after their own referendum. The current UK membership is not as straight forward as the likes of France for example, being that the membership is already made up of four widely recognised individual countries.

I personally haven't made my mind up which way I will vote yet because there still isn't enough information but it is getting quite annoying that a couple of multi millionaire politicians continue to try and to tell us we aren't capable of running a country and somehow they can do a better job than we can.

Astraeus 11th March 2014 16:21

Hi

One thing is for sure is that the debate is bringing out the worst in a lot of folk. UK assets belong to us (the Scottish people) as they do to everyone else. I don't like to hear people from south of the border telling us to go away and get lost. This does not help sensible debate. In fact it is more likely to encourage people to vote yes. The scare stories being banded about by both sides don't wash either.

Things may very well be difficult at first but as a nation Scotland would survive. In Europe out of Europe....south of the border don't actually know if they want in or out so a bit rich lecturing us on the difficulty of entry! There may very well be a vote for that looming. Currently it would probably be a get out vote. That would provide the rest if the UK with exactly the same problem. A sensible question is also if Scotland is such a drain on resources do any of us actually believe Messrs Cameron and co would want to keep us? I think not.

I am not sure what would be best for us. I have decided I will support whatever the outcome is. Sometimes a little pain is worth suffering to be in control of your own affairs. We have other assets not just oil. In fact it does seem that there is a lot more to come out yet from the North Sea.

On the other hand I have always considered my self both Scottish and British. We have a lot of shared history, but not all of that is good. Would a Scottish government supported invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan? I honestly don't think so. What have we all got to show for the fortunes made out of the North Sea? I include us all in this question. Nothing! There is nothing left it has all been spent! Norway......? A different story.

My summary of this is a strongly held belief that it is a very complicated picture. There will be good and bad points whatever the outcome. My personal preference I will keep to myself, but it is a very close call. Some of the rhetoric coming from down South is not helping the stay together camp. They may think it is, but believe me a lot are beginning to be annoyed by some of the stuff being forced down our throats by messers Cameron, Clegg and Miliband. Three men who are totally detached from reality! ' What do they know about the conditions most of us live in?

Like most divorces (if that is what happens) both sides will survive. Some will be better off than others on both sides of the border. Like most divorces the assets are shared and wherever lawyers are involved they both tell their clients what they want to hear. The outcome often has little resemblance to what they said it would be.

Time will tell. I do mean I will support what we decide. But, I hope that the people that are stuffing all the impossible difficulties Scotland would face were honest and admitted that they would face different, but just as serious difficulties it would give them. Then we may very well have a proper debate and discussions about what actually would happen.

This present stuff is just typical of our politicians. (All of them) their main concern is themselves. Truth a rare visitor to the chambers. Do we believe what they are all saying....really?

Mods...I think this should be moved to the social section please.

Chris

alanjay 11th March 2014 16:45

Two questions

If Mr Salmond gets his way with his claim that all oil off the Scottish coastline belongs Scotland, should a predatory country try and seize the wells, whose navy would defend them?

I think Mr Salmond ought to tell the world how he intends to create the world's fastest ever Navy.

Will the ardent ex-pat supporter of Scottish independence, Mr Sean Connery, return to Scotland and pay his taxes there?

Celebrity verbal support is one thing, financial support another.

MSS 11th March 2014 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmj (Post 1604386)
There are International legal experts still arguing about whether if Scotland vote yes, both Scotland and the remaining UK may both become “successor states.” The argument being that without Scotland the UK is no longer the original country that applied for EU membership and has effectively also became a new state. If the EU tries to block an independent Scotland from joining, I think it would be fair to say the legality of the UK's continuing membership may be questioned. That's assuming the rest of the UK have not already voted to leave the EU themselves after their own referendum. The current UK membership is not as straight forward as the likes of France for example, being that the membership is already made up of four widely recognised individual countries.

So, one possible scenario could be that Ukraine joins the EU, with memebrship pushed through by our politicians. Ukraine then gets to vote on whether the NUK (the non-united kingdom's as we will then be) should be allowed into the EU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmj (Post 1604386)
I personally haven't made my mind up which way I will vote yet because there still isn't enough information but it is getting quite annoying that a couple of multi millionaire politicians continue to try and to tell us we aren't capable of running a country and somehow they can do a better job than we can.

Of course the Scot's may yet not get to vote - refrendum's on independence seem to be out of fashion all of a sudden.:}

WillyHeckaslike 11th March 2014 16:58

Quote:

Astraeus: UK assets belong to us (the Scottish people) as they do to everyone else.
Which in fairness must include the likes of oil and gas and also liabilities too ... like debt.. :shrug:

TopCat999 11th March 2014 17:00

I have many chums in my home town of Inverness- interesting their take on things
1 They are now refusing scottish notes- happy with english £50s for any cash deals as they don't want to be stuck with them post ScOut
2 Law firms in Inverness are being asked to set up English/welsh companies rather than scottish ones for their Inverness based clients

It is also amazing that of the 7 largest Scottish firms all but 1 has said that they have contingency plans to move HQ south in event of ScOut

Selfishly I can see 1 possible advantage to ScOut- I could spend more than my 90 days on the mainland!

maintenanceman 11th March 2014 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickm1 (Post 1604236)
Salmond is deffo not the guy to lead us into it thats for sure, Im in the vote NO camp anyway as too many unanswered questions for my liking.
I can understand however why a lot of people would like to break away from the union, more importantly an alliance with the pompous neighbours :D

Yesterday we had a visit from a bean counter from the Scottish part of the group I work for and during a coffee break he was asked his view.

His answer was he's an undecided voter but probably no as in the above post there are just too many unanswered questions.

Simondi 11th March 2014 19:38

Yes.

Independence is scary, the alternative of more of the same is horrifying.

As to the unanswered questions, time will tell.
Out of interest, are the channel Islands going to be expelled from Europe and have sterling taken off them as they are not I believe part of the UK?
Likewise their limited resources seem to have made them a wasteland

J1MBO 11th March 2014 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astraeus (Post 1604444)
Mods...I think this should be moved to the social section please.

Chris

Tend to agree with you Chris, we've all rather wandered away from the original topic of number plates.

murphyv310 11th March 2014 19:45

Hi.
Its no for me as the outcome if we left the UK is too dodgy. Alex has certanly never answered any question that I have asked. Yes I have asked in a few emails to the SNP HQ with no replies, this in itself is enough for me to firmly vote no.

The only gripe for me is how some of my fellow contrymen come across to us up here, don't forget that many Englishmen and women live here and love the country, I feel the ones that have a massive rant need to test the water first before the rant as so many are talking pub talk not from a factual basis.

Lovel 11th March 2014 19:46

What a waste of time this whole independance vote and the run up to it is. :duh: how much is this costing the economies in the long run? If only the politicians had spent as much time focusing on the real issues.

As a North of Scotland resident, I want independance from Sandy Fish and his Central belt cronies. :eek: We have first hand experience of it.

If he gets the yes vote then we will be even more isolated up here. In fact the north would probably be run by an unelected party. ironic isn't it as that has been Sandy's argument for years against Unionist parties.

Dream on Sandy, Mel Gibson in Braveheart and your vision is about as real as you are mannie. Lets escape this tartan clad nightmare scenario and look to the future together as one........

doopydug 11th March 2014 19:51

Well said Gary !

Borg Warner 11th March 2014 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 1604776)
Well said Gary !

And I'll second that.

BW

TopCat999 11th March 2014 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1604753)
Yes.

Independence is scary, the alternative of more of the same is horrifying.

As to the unanswered questions, time will tell.
Out of interest, are the channel Islands going to be expelled from Europe and have sterling taken off them as they are not I believe part of the UK?
Likewise their limited resources seem to have made them a wasteland

Well the Ch Isles and the IOM are british crown dependencies and are not part of UK nor EU

The Ch Isles certainly have their problems (as does the IOM) but at least the IOM has VAT sharing with UK. as well as a positive bank balance and as the fastest growing western democracy (grew by 4.5% last year) a number of significant advantages over ScOut.

Iom and Ch Isles have own currencies which are 1:1 linked to Sterling- just as Alex would like - but crown dependencies have no say in sterling as would happen to ScOut if Alex decided to use sterling.
If fact Alex S is so keen on the IOM approach he is often here liaising etc (and charging £37.50 per ticket to listen to him) not many takers there................

Simondi 11th March 2014 20:19

Seems like I'm in the minority on this thread:-)
One certainty though, if you don't want independence then you need to make sure you vote.
I think the vote could well be won by the yes (please ;-)) vote but largely due to the apathy of those who won't vote on the day in the belief that the status quo will maintain no matter what

doopydug 11th March 2014 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1604835)
One certainty though, if you don't want independence then you need to make sure you vote.
I think the vote could well be won by the yes (please ;-)) vote but largely due to the apathy of those who won't vote on the day in the belief that the status quo will maintain no matter what

Indeed, - I think the nats are counting on that. Its a very valid point

TopCat999 11th March 2014 20:23

Quote:

I think your views echo the Highlands and Islands view - we dislike being told what to do by clever lawyers from distant Edinburgh - most of whom have never travelled further north than Perth (in summer)

bl52krz 11th March 2014 20:54

Quote:

No. Alex Salmond does not want to be part of the United Kingdom, Great Britain, call it what you like. Shows how confident he is, is he not allowing 16 year olds to vote? When i was 16 i would have voted for anything , the only problem being, i would not have had the wisdom to know why.

Simondi 11th March 2014 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 1604890)
No. Alex Salmond does not want to be part of the United Kingdom, Great Britain, call it what you like. Shows how confident he is, is he not allowing 16 year olds to vote? When i was 16 i would have voted for anything , the only problem being, i would not have had the wisdom to know why.

My daughters school (and those across North Ayrshire I believe) have been inviting speakers from both No & Yes campaigns to address those who will be eligible to vote in the referendum. Interestingly in her school when they held a vote 80% voted no:shrug:

murphyv310 11th March 2014 21:25

Quote:

Sadly I have to agree. I really cannot abide apathy on either side. The vote should have been made compulsory for a true reflection on peoples views.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1604942)
My daughters school (and those across North Ayrshire I believe) have been inviting speakers from both No & Yes campaigns to address those who will be eligible to vote in the referendum. Interestingly in her school when they held a vote 80% voted no:shrug:

Yes this has been done in many councils and the results have been quite staggeringly high for a no vote.

Borg Warner 11th March 2014 21:30

My apologies Simon but I find you signature interesting:

Wha's Like Us? Damn Few And They're A' Died!?

The average Englishman in the home he calls his castle
slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented
by Chemist Charles MacIntosh from Glasgow, Scotland.

En-route to his office he strides along the English lane,
surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, Scotland.

He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by
John Boyd Dunlop, Veterinary Surgeon of
Dreghorn, Scotland.

At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive
stamps invented by John Chalmers, Bookseller and
Printer of Dundee, Scotland.

During the day he uses the telephone invented by
Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland.

At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle
invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan, Blacksmith of
Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

He watches the news on television, an invention of John
Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an
item about the U.S. Navy founded by John
Paul Jones of Kirkbean, Scotland.

Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots.

He has by now been reminded too much of Scotland and
in desperation he picks up the Bible, only to find that
the first man mentioned in the good book is a Scot,
King James VI, who authorised its translation.

He could take to drink but the Scots make the best in the world.

He could take a rifle and end it all, but the breech-loading
rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of
Pitfours, Scotland.

If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating
table injected with penicillin, discovered by Sir Alexander
Fleming of Darvel, Scotland, and given chloroform, an
anesthetic discovered by Sir James Young Simpson,
Obstetrician and Gynecologist of Bathgate, Scotland.

Out of the anesthetic he would find no comfort in learning
that he was as safe as the Bank of England founded by
William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion
of guid Scottish blood which would entitle him tae ask
"Wha's like us? damm few an' there a' deed"

When the great comedian Billy Connolly was asked his thought on the subject he very cleverly replied that the result would be what the Scots deserve.

BW

Simondi 11th March 2014 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 1604949)
Sadly I have to agree. I really cannot abide apathy on either side. The vote should have been made compulsory for a true reflection on peoples views.

:iagree::wot:

The more that vote the more reflective the result

FLYER 11th March 2014 21:54

Wha sae base as be a slave let him turn and flee.

Vote yes for FREEDOM...:D

Simondi 11th March 2014 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg Warner (Post 1604957)

[

No apology needed kind sir:D

Gman2 12th March 2014 08:02

What bugs me over this was the fact that being a Scot living in England I'm denied a vote although I've noticed in the past few days that the legal basis of this has now been challenged that may delay the voting date. If you're an expat sunning yourself in Australia or the Costa del Crime and left the UK up to 15 years ago then you're allowed to vote in the UK general election and referendums. Personally I disagree with this - if you ain't contributing to the country then why should you be allowed to have a say on how it's run :shrug: Anyroad imho this principle should be handed to expat Scots.

Re the SNP - this surely must be the watershed for them. If it's a "no" vote then do they start becoming an irrelevance in Scottish / UK politics?

FLYER 12th March 2014 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman2 (Post 1605149)
What bugs me over this was the fact that being a Scot living in England I'm denied a vote although I've noticed in the past few days that the legal basis of this has now been challenged that may delay the voting date. If you're an expat sunning yourself in Australia or the Costa del Crime and left the UK up to 15 years ago then you're allowed to vote in the UK general election and referendums. Personally I disagree with this - if you ain't contributing to the country then why should you be allowed to have a say on how it's run :shrug: Anyroad imho this principle should be handed to expat Scots.

Re the SNP - this surely must be the watershed for them. If it's a "no" vote then do they start becoming an irrelevance in Scottish / UK politics?

Re your last question.
With the tories and labour as the competition the SNP will always be the power in Scotland.
The others had their chance and blew it .

The tories should just admit defeat and push off.

wraymond 12th March 2014 15:09

Strange, “how the Official Spokesman is viewed with suspicion and mistrust yet the unofficial and unidentified shouter is taken as a creditable and repeatable source“.

We have the Governor of the Bank of England (in reality the Bank of UK), who presumably has access to the finest legal and financial advice in the land, stating that an Independent Scotland would not be able to maintain the pound as a currency (and giving the reasoning behind that which nobody has yet been able to deny). He seems a measured and reasonable chap, not given to hyperbole, and for the life of me I can’t think what he would gain by lying.

Then there is the President of the EU stating that Scotland would find it very difficult to gain membership of EU, if not impossible. Also, that it would take years to accomplish anyway, given the queue that already exists. In the event of a successful bid, by no means guaranteed, Scotland would be required to join the Euro. Again, I struggle to find what Barroso has to gain by lying in saying such things on the world stage.

Then there is Salmond. As they say, make your own mind up.

Why is it that when two of the people above give a balanced opinion, based on expert advice, they are accused of “forcing it down our throats” by supporters of the move and the third is believed by them without question? Nothing has been forced on anyone and to suggest it has is mere troublemaking.

Is the truth such a bad thing that it must not be tolerated? Contrary to what seems to be a very small minority north of the border, most of the rest of the citizens of these united islands don’t see or think of a “them and us” situation. Just Us. With every constituent magnificent part just as important and valued as the rest.

Gman2 12th March 2014 15:16

I reckon that nicely sums up my view about the situation!

TopCat999 12th March 2014 15:35

More bad news for ScOuters:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26541575

We can't afford to go it alone IMHO - look at the public sector expenditure per person vs RUK?

SapperGB 12th March 2014 15:40

Due to the thread containing a number of different questions raised in the other thread on the same topic I have copied my posts from there below:

In 2011, Scotland was positioned as the third highest region in the UK - behind London and the south east of England.
Adding a geographical share of Scotland's North Sea output increases Scottish GDP per head from 99% to about 118% of the UK average.
Scotland's share of the UK national debt is lower as a percentage of GDP than the UK's. UK public sector net debt at the end of 2011-12 stood at £1.1
trillion (72% of GDP). Scotland's per capita share would have been equivalent to £92bn (62% of GDP).
Scottish exports (excluding oil and gas) to destinations outside the UK in 2011 totalled £23.9bn. In the same year, a further £45.5bn of goods and services were traded with the rest of the UK.
Key strengths include the food and drink sector (18%), reflecting high demand overseas for Scottish whisky.
Scotland is estimated to have the largest reserves of oil in the EU, accounting for 60% of the EU total.
There are estimated to be up to 24 billion barrels of oil to be extracted from the North Sea.
Scotland has 25% of Europe's offshore wind and tidal resource and 10% of Europe's wave resource.
At this time, there are more wave and tidal power devices being tested in the waters off Scotland than in any other country in the world.
It already generates more than one-third of electricity needs from renewables, including hydro power.
Turnover in the food and drink reached £5.38bn in 2011.
Scotland is the world's third largest salmon producer.
Scotland lands 60% of the UK's fish and has more than one quarter of the UK's beef herd.
When it comes to whisky it is reported that 40 bottles of the spirit are shipped overseas each second.
Scotland is internationally recognised as the most important UK financial centre outside London and the south east.
The tourism industry employs almost 200,000 people in Scotland.
The creative industry sector has a turnover of £4.8bn. Scottish art, film, fashion, music and literature are well recognised, as are Scotland's design, IT and computer gaming industries.
Scotland has a strong digital and ICT sector, employing 47,000 people.
In 2012 the Life Sciences sector provided employment for about 32,500 people in 650 companies and organisations. The related area of medical technology and pharmaceutical services has also shown growth.

I am sure that with Scotland being a major stakeholder selling back its stake in the bank of England would suffice in financing a Scottish central bank.
Scotland, which has 8.3% of the UK population, pays 9.2% of total taxes.
Setting up its own currency would be a plus (imo), allowing Scotland total financial independence, setting interest rates etc. but this idea would require substantial foreign exchange reserves being bought and Scotlands creditors would be mad not to impose high interest rates on an unproven economy, this would lead to a degree of austerity.
Keeping the pound would mean no true independence as financial control would be restricted.
Of course, there would be a portion of the national debt to have to swallow, but how? there are two ways:
For Britain to simply transfer a portion (population share - based on the number of persons) to the tune of as much as £180 billion. this figure equates to a relatively high debt-to-GDP ratio by international standards (76%).
Should Britain transfer a historical share: split based on how much in the way of debt (or surpluses) Scotland and the rest of the UK generated in recent years. Because Scotland has generated a series of budget surpluses due to North Sea oil revenues, its share of the debt would considerably lower at approximately £100bn - 55% of Scottish GDP.
Either way Britain would be in trouble - they would effectively be defaulting on their debt, their creditors across the world, who had bought British gilts, would not be pleased to discover that they were now holding the debt of a small country with no track record in debt markets.
A quick edit:
I drifted off into the national debt a little there and I totally forgot to mention the 'up yours' stance that Scotland may take.
All the debt accrued up to the point of independence belongs to the Treasury, Scotland can’t default on debt that’s not legally owed.
So there you go, a national debt of £1.6 trillion and not a penny need be paid by Scotland, leaving the UK copping the lot - with a loss of almost 10% on income generated by Scottish taxes.
As I mentioned before a degree of early austerity would be needed should Scotland have their own currency (until it matures) but the rest of the UK would be forced into further austerity measures to recoup the reduction in taxes.

thomas 75 connie 12th March 2014 15:46

i think and hope that Scotland will stay in the UK
All these figures that get banded about(no one knows the true figures)
Will Scotland be worse off who knows:shrug:
Will the rest of the UK again who knows:shrug:
Another thing this isnt England vs Scotland or vise versa its the whole country.

As it stands England is the least powerful of all the countries in the union-Why you ask Scotland has its own parliament,Wales does and so does NI but The parliament in Westminster is not Englands just the whole UKs

SapperGB 12th March 2014 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat999 (Post 1605503)
More bad news for ScOuters:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26541575

We can't afford to go it alone IMHO - look at the public sector expenditure per person vs RUK?

have yet to look into this report properly but like all reports (yes even mine above) there is huge amounts of information missing, such as the fact that Scotland would not have the huge foreign aid expenditure that the UK has (£150 per person - uk average)......

it also forgot to tell us that the UK sent almost 90 million quid to Somalia so it also forgot to say how much aid Scotland would receive from the UK ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie (Post 1605514)
i think and hope that Scotland will stay in the UK
All these figures that get banded about(no one knows the true figures)
Will Scotland be worse off who knows:shrug:
Will the rest of the UK again who knows:shrug:
Another thing this isnt England vs Scotland or vise versa its the whole country.

As it stands England is the least powerful of all the countries in the union-Why you ask Scotland has its own parliament,Wales does and so does NI but The parliament in Westminster is not Englands, just full of Scots

have edited your post to add fuel to the fire.... hope you don't mind ;)

thomas 75 connie 12th March 2014 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapperGB (Post 1605532)
have edited your post to add fuel to the fire.... hope you don't mind ;)

Im not smart enough to take offense:}

SapperGB 12th March 2014 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie (Post 1605541)
Im not smart enough to take offense:}

Hehe,

Back on topic,

Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly have jurisdiction only over devolved legislation that affects only Scotland or Wales.

The Westminster Parliament has jurisdiction over the whole of the UK on all matters in England, and over those matters not devolved in Scotland and Wales.

So England does have its own parliament.

TopCat999 12th March 2014 16:26

Doesn't solve what is known as the "West Lothian Question" though??

detail here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Lothian_question

thomas 75 connie 12th March 2014 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapperGB (Post 1605548)
Hehe,

Back on topic,

Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly have jurisdiction only over devolved legislation that affects only Scotland or Wales.

The Westminster Parliament has jurisdiction over the whole of the UK on all matters in England, and over those matters not devolved in Scotland and Wales.

So England does have its own parliament.

The English dont have thier own parliament they are just ruled from westminster they dont get a say in certain Scottish affairs but Scotland can get involved.

If independance does go ahead ill be keeping the british passport but also get a scottish one aswell(mums family is scottish)

SapperGB 12th March 2014 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat999 (Post 1605550)
Doesn't solve what is known as the "West Lothian Question" though??

detail here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Lothian_question

As in Non English MP's voting on matters related to England only? well no, it doesn't. It would be interesting to learn of how Scottish MP's voted on things such as English Prescription fees though.

alanjay 12th March 2014 16:48

Let's get back to the original post, Scottish Number Plates.

If Scotland does vote for independence might I suggest the plates have the Clan Salmond Tartan as a background with reflective White for the numbers/letters.

Presumably Scottish vehicles will no longer be registered at DVLA, Swansea, leading to staff redundancies.

Hope it doesn't lead to friction between the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament.

SapperGB 12th March 2014 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie (Post 1605555)
The English dont have thier own parliament they are just ruled from westminster they dont get a say in certain Scottish affairs but Scotland can get involved.

If independance does go ahead ill be keeping the british passport but also get a scottish one aswell(mums family is scottish)

The English have a say by way of voting for their MP, just as Scotland do. there is nothing stopping (at the moment) and English representative running for Scottish parliament. (such as Mike Rumbles who was a Geordie).

TopCat999 12th March 2014 16:52

can we please add a poll to this debate?

SapperGB 12th March 2014 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat999 (Post 1605584)
can we please add a poll to this debate?

no cos I live in England and wont be allowed to vote ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanjay (Post 1605579)
Let's get back to the original post, Scottish Number Plates.

If Scotland does vote for independence might I suggest the plates have the Clan Salmond Tartan as a background with reflective White for the numbers/letters.

Presumably Scottish vehicles will no longer be registered at DVLA, Swansea, leading to staff redundancies.

Hope it doesn't lead to friction between the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament.

Why would there be need to change plates? The Irish republic kept British indexing until the late 80's

Gate Keeper 12th March 2014 17:10

1 Attachment(s)
Some things will never change .....:)

Attachment 31545

topman 12th March 2014 17:11

But Ireland had there own version of the DVLA and registered cars there. The formatting is the easy bit.

SapperGB 12th March 2014 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 1605605)
But Ireland had there own version of the DVLA and registered cars there. The formatting is the easy bit.

Local registration offices in Scotland would do much the same.

The DVLA is self-funded and as such are open to discussion when it comes to Scotland.

Can you honestly see, just because the DVLA is in the UK (Wales - not England) then Scotland would not be using them for registration of vehicles?
It's more likely to increase employment within the DVLA as there would be a dedicated Scottish department for registration of cars registered in Scotland.

It appears that many think that in an Independent Scotland everything would change overnight. for example; do you think that the UK would rather that Scotland formed its own VED system and further reduced UK taxes?

Remember there are over SIX MILLION Acts and Legislations within the UK - (ignoring devolution for a moment as it affects next to none) Scotland would not be able to simply rewrite them all

FLYER 12th March 2014 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapperGB (Post 1605628)
Local registration offices in Scotland would do much the same.

The DVLA is self-funded and as such are open to discussion when it comes to Scotland.

Can you honestly see, just because the DVLA is in the UK (Wales - not England) then Scotland would not be using them for registration of vehicles?
It's more likely to increase employment within the DVLA as there would be a dedicated Scottish department for registration of cars registered in Scotland.

It appears that many think that in an Independent Scotland everything would change overnight. for example; do you think that the UK would rather that Scotland formed its own VED system and further reduced UK taxes?

Remember there are over SIX MILLION Acts and Legislations within the UK - (ignoring devolution for a moment as it affects next to none) Scotland would not be able to simply rewrite them all

We need you in an independent Scotland so please come home .....:D:D:D

seancar 12th March 2014 22:51

I dont know a great deal about all of this but I dont trust the english government nor the scot pushing for independence feel that both parties are up to something. And I can see the only people who will come out on top if scotland gain independence is the very rich on both sides.
I can understand scotland wanting independence but what we all have at the present works so why change it. The way I see it is we have england, wales, scotkand and Ni which in there own right are 4 different countries now just all under on name the uk.
From our side yes ok if scotland was out on its own our government would save x amount of pounds would we the people see any of that money lol not a chance. And the working man in scotland would have to pay more taxes to make up what the english government was not giving the scot government, so nobody wins. If its not broke dont try and fix it, I for one dont want to see scotland go independent I am proud to be part of all 4 countries that are part of the uk. They all have there own business and heritage that makes the uk what it is. But like I said I dont know a great deal about it, thats just my feelings on the matter

Simondi 13th March 2014 04:53

Problem is though that Scotland gives more to the UK than it receives :eek:

thomas 75 connie 13th March 2014 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1606109)
Problem is though that Scotland gives more to the UK than it receives :eek:

We just dont know if thats true and vise versa could well be true but the only people that would know this 100% are the greedy politicians.

Lovel 13th March 2014 06:47

Independance for North of Scotland

I have already begun to put my 1,000 page white paper together for an Independant North of Scotland, will probbaly be more but I only have a mere £1.2mn budget to spend of the taxpayers money on it. :eek: and "I will tell you this" we are keeping all the oil and gas, so Sandy you can count that one out now. Well no not really, but where does it stop. :shrug:
Kind of reminds me of come the revolution, Citizen Smith style making up a dream list.

If that overpriced monstrosity of a buliding in Edinburgh and the current uninspired cretins inside it that make our policies up are anything to go by then we are seriously deluding oursleves.

I sincereley hope come September when we have come to our senses and discovered what a waste of resouces this referendum has been we can get on with the business of building a better country for all and not trying to break it apart.

Gman2 13th March 2014 08:56

Here's some useful Scotland / UK comparison stats:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24866266

There again the manipulation of stats, agendas of sources etc etc. I haven't had time to go through it but perhaps some objective forum member could kindly summarise it in one single sentence :D

Oh and another thing - forget about the oil and taxes, if it's a "yes" then what's the impact to the ZT/75 forum for the contingent North of the Border. This could get messy..........

damienp 13th March 2014 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapperGB (Post 1605628)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 1606042)
We need you in an independent Scotland so please come home .....:D:D:D

So then Flyer, does this mean you would be applying for the plate RAB 1 :D

FLYER 13th March 2014 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by damienp (Post 1606432)
So then Flyer, does this mean you would be applying for the plate RAB 1 :D

no , it would be

NES8ITT. [Nesbitt]:D

damienp 18th March 2014 15:39

I'd like to add that for Independance to take place, David Moyes must be sent back to Scotland as part of the deal. :getmecoat:

Simondi 18th March 2014 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by damienp (Post 1611692)
I'd like to add that for Independance to take place, David Moyes must be sent back to Scotland as part of the deal. :getmecoat:

Done.
Who is he anyway ;)

FLYER 18th March 2014 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1611694)
Done.
Who is he anyway ;)

He is an ex EVERTON manager who Sir Alex Ferguson [thought] would be a good successor to his throne !!! [whoops]:duh:

TopCat999 22nd March 2014 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg Warner (Post 1604957)

Wha's Like Us? Damn Few And They're A' Died!?

The average Englishman in the home he calls his castle
slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented
by Chemist Charles MacIntosh from Glasgow, Scotland.

En-route to his office he strides along the English lane,
surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, Scotland.

He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by
John Boyd Dunlop, Veterinary Surgeon of
Dreghorn, Scotland.

At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive
stamps invented by John Chalmers, Bookseller and
Printer of Dundee, Scotland.

During the day he uses the telephone invented by
Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland.

At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle
invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan, Blacksmith of
Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

He watches the news on television, an invention of John
Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an
item about the U.S. Navy founded by John
Paul Jones of Kirkbean, Scotland.

Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots.

He has by now been reminded too much of Scotland and
in desperation he picks up the Bible, only to find that
the first man mentioned in the good book is a Scot,
King James VI, who authorised its translation.

He could take to drink but the Scots make the best in the world.

He could take a rifle and end it all, but the breech-loading
rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of
Pitfours, Scotland.

If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating
table injected with penicillin, discovered by Sir Alexander
Fleming of Darvel, Scotland, and given chloroform, an
anesthetic discovered by Sir James Young Simpson,
Obstetrician and Gynecologist of Bathgate, Scotland.

Out of the anesthetic he would find no comfort in learning
that he was as safe as the Bank of England founded by
William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion
of guid Scottish blood which would entitle him tae ask
"Wha's like us? damm few an' there a' deed"

When the great comedian Billy Connolly was asked his thought on the subject he very cleverly replied that the result would be what the Scots deserve.

BW

love this but check out the thousands of English inventions in Wikpedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_discoveries

Gman2 22nd March 2014 19:00

Yeah but pivotal inventions / breakthroughs with national or international impact in proportion to population I reckon the Scots aren't doing too badly :cool: Also many of the senior administrators and governors during the colonial period were Scottish so their influence was far and wide :}

TopCat999 30th March 2014 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman2 (Post 1615875)
Yeah but pivotal inventions / breakthroughs with national or international impact in proportion to population I reckon the Scots aren't doing too badly :cool: Also many of the senior administrators and governors during the colonial period were Scottish so their influence was far and wide :}

not to mention the fact that Westminster has been dominated by Scots
Malcolm Rifkind, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Alaisdair Darling, etc etc!

Gman2 30th March 2014 18:29

Every silver lining has a cloud though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26082372

:duh:

Astraeus 31st March 2014 16:43

Whatever

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman2 (Post 1624094)
Every silver lining has a cloud though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26082372

Whatever the vote we draw the line at having him!

CHRIS :}

TopCat999 9th May 2014 19:30

Mind you there is something worse, far worse in prospect:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-the-mire.html

Gman2 29th August 2014 18:12

Getting close now! I watched the BBC last night in despair as they interviewed a woman on what way she'll vote - "I don't know but I might give it a go" Give it a ago! This ain't "see the new takeaway round the corner - I might give it a go" - this is the future direction of the United Kingdom for pity's sake. I hope serious thought is given by the voters on how they'll decide and emotion and rhetoric doesn't carry the day :(

Astraeus 29th August 2014 21:32

No different

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman2 (Post 1772169)
Getting close now! I watched the BBC last night in despair as they interviewed a woman on what way she'll vote - "I don't know but I might give it a go" Give it a ago! This ain't "see the new takeaway round the corner - I might give it a go" - this is the future direction of the United Kingdom for pity's sake. I hope serious thought is given by the voters on how they'll decide and emotion and rhetoric doesn't carry the day :(

It will be no different from any other election here. Some will put careful thought in, some will vote from the heart, some because that's the way their father/mother would vote, some will not bother. Either way that is the way democracy works. The result will be what it will be. I will happily go with what is decided. Rights and wrongs on both sides but the simple fact is that if Scotland does go it alone, Scotland will survive as will what is left of the rest of the UK.

Chris

FLYER 30th August 2014 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astraeus (Post 1772372)
It will be no different from any other election here. Some will put careful thought in, some will vote from the heart, some because that's the way their father/mother would vote, some will not bother. Either way that is the way democracy works. The result will be what it will be. I will happily go with what is decided. Rights and wrongs on both sides but the simple fact is that if Scotland does go it alone, Scotland will survive as will what is left of the rest of the UK.

Chris

people are people so what you say is true .

Out of 11 members at our table at the Hawes last night it was a 50/50 split and a dont know , .
I think its going to be close.

Most punters in my cab are YES but then most NO people like to keep quiet .

A divided nation and a divided kingdom.

Rev Jules 30th August 2014 11:21

A!ha! don't forget we showed you how to build brick walls, obviously with the help of the Romans. LOL¬!!

Julien

Simondi 30th August 2014 14:24

I think it will be close, as for me?

yes

neilb740 1st September 2014 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat999 (Post 1623865)
not to mention the fact that Westminster has been dominated by Scots
Malcolm Rifkind, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Alaisdair Darling, etc etc!

I often had trouble understanding Tony Blair, Must have been down to his strong Scottish accent. :D

Georgies Dad 1st September 2014 14:09

If Scotland get its independence,will we have an international section on the forum for our Scottish friends:D

FLYER 1st September 2014 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by w44nty (Post 1774608)
If Scotland get its independence,will we have an international section on the forum for our Scottish friends:D

What you mean (if ).........:D

Georgies Dad 1st September 2014 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 1774617)
What you mean (if ).........:D

In for a penny,in for a Euro:D

Pistonbroke666 1st September 2014 14:38

Out of interest...

1. Do the Scots on here who wish for independence support the cause for an English Parliament?

2. To all British citizens either side of the border - if federalism was an option, would you support it in preference to the dissolution of the United kingdom?

FLYER 1st September 2014 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 (Post 1774632)
Out of interest...

1. Do the Scots on here who wish for independence support the cause for an English Parliament?

2. To all British citizens either side of the border - if federalism was an option, would you support it in preference to the dissolution of the United kingdom?

Yes to the first and maybe to the second.

Pistonbroke666 1st September 2014 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 1774635)
Yes to the first and maybe to the second.

Thanks for the response bud.

I'm no fan of the way the system works at present but a federal type system could be an interesting way to address both points.

Yella Fella 2nd September 2014 11:40

Me and my 75 reggie plate say NAE Independence. :D

Pistonbroke666 2nd September 2014 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yella Fella (Post 1775319)
Me and my 75 reggie plate say NAE Independence. :D

I see what you did there hehe

Seafrost 2nd September 2014 23:08

Sat watching #ScotDecides on ITV,and I am even more confused about it, than I was before.. the reasons seem vast. From child poverty, bedroom tax, war costs, to Oil revenue......
Its not an easy call, but for me Westminster has been out of control for a long time now.

sikelsh 3rd September 2014 09:45

I think its a fantastic social experiment, looking from the outside in (as an Englishman) I cant wait to see how it all plays out long term, I am hoping for the best for Scotland should it happen, but fear the worse for the rest of the remaining UK should the maths and guesswork all be wrong.

To keep with Scooterchicks analogy, I do agree that independence should mean independence, not independence with an alimony agreement and don't come back looking for an on off relationship ;)

Good luck which ever way you vote.

Simon

doopydug 3rd September 2014 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776042)
http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/...rth-trillions/

Who needs Standard Life anyway! :D

All joking aside, the Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland are both capable of supporting a stand alone Scottish pound. The Scottish economy is set to boom and the currency issue doesn't worry me one little bit.

How do you know the Scottish economy is about to boom - I trade currency internationally daily and ALL the international currency traders expect the UK AND Scotland to be worse off straight away?

European Commissioner Ollie Rehn, yesterday, said that if a restructured Scotland kept the pound then it would be unable to join the EU. So, YES voters, do we keep the pound or join the EU ?

kourgath 3rd September 2014 11:03

One thing that made me laugh was yesterday watching a debate on TV and this lady stood up and said she was voting yes as she had not voted for the government in Westminster. Well that's democracy dearie! Most people didn't vote for the government... Anyway I live I Cornwall so we want independence next :-)

Simondi 3rd September 2014 11:04

Similar to the independence enjoyed by France, Germany, Belgium, Holland etc. I suspect.
Last time I checked they were independent countries despite being in currency union:shrug:

What will be will be. In the event of a yes vote ( and that's a Yes from me) there will be difficulties ahead but none of them insurmountable.
In the event of a No vote then there will also be difficulties ahead, different ones I grant you but still difficulties some of which are horrifying.

doopydug 3rd September 2014 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1776112)
Similar to the independence enjoyed by France, Germany, Belgium, Holland etc. I suspect.
Last time I checked they were independent countries despite being in currency union:shrug:

What will be will be. In the event of a yes vote ( and that's a Yes from me) there will be difficulties ahead but none of them insurmountable.
In the event of a No vote then there will also be difficulties ahead, different ones I grant you but still difficulties some of which are horrifying.

What difficulties do you think will be "horrifying" ?

Simondi 3rd September 2014 11:17

First and foremost the increasing liklihood of withdrawing from Europe.
A number of political reasons I cannot post;), the continued funding of weapons of mass destruction, the liklihood of Scottish funding being reduced and so on

None of the above are insurmountable

Pistonbroke666 3rd September 2014 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1776112)

Fiscal unity without political unity was a major contributor to the collapse of the Euro.

That is why the Eurozone has no choice but to centralise further in order to successfully manage the currency. The Eurozone nations will need to give Brussels authority to regulate their tax and spending policies.

In other words, they have no option but to surrender sovereignty to make their money work. Scotland would need to do the same if it were to keep the pound.

I work for a global top 10 foreign bank within the Capital Markets division. This has been discussed at some length.

lady zed 3rd September 2014 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by kourgath (Post 1776109)
One thing that made me laugh was yesterday watching a debate on TV and this lady stood up and said she was voting yes as she had not voted for the government in Westminster. Well that's democracy dearie! Most people didn't vote for the government... Anyway I live I Cornwall so we want independence next :-)

But it's not democracy. Scotland, collectively, as a country, have NEVER voted for a Tory government yet for something like 35 years out of the last 51 that's what we've had to endure. It's not democracy in Scotland. We only get the government we vote for if England happens to be in agreement at that specific moment in time!

sikelsh 3rd September 2014 11:59

I honestly thought Scotland would want its own currency, something called perhaps The Scottish Dram and the coins would be ginger in colour ;)

lady zed 3rd September 2014 12:02

The issue of the pound or the lack of clarity surrounding it is not enough to dissuade me from wanting to be a free nation with the power to make our own decisions for the good of the people of Scotland. I'm raising my children 20 miles from weapons of mass destruction. No thanks.

No-one said it was going to be easy but it will be worth it.

lady zed 3rd September 2014 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikelsh (Post 1776156)
I honestly thought Scotland would want its own currency, something called perhaps The Scottish Dram and the coins would be ginger in colour ;)

Sounds good to me :D

Pistonbroke666 3rd September 2014 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776160)
The issue of the pound or the lack of clarity surrounding it is not enough to dissuade me from wanting to be a free nation with the power to make our own decisions for the good of the people of Scotland. I'm raising my children 20 miles from weapons of mass destruction. No thanks.

The issue of the pound isn't something that's meant to dissuade you from independence.
It's something that should make you challenge the nationalist leaderships rhetoric and policy if you want the new nation to get off on a good footing.

If you don't control your own currency then you're not independent. At present, Scotland has a say on monetary policy as a member of the UK. If it leaves the club, it leaves that privilege behind. If it left the pound it's a privilege it wouldn't miss but if it keeps sterling it won't have that member bonus any more.

Statements from Salmond where he says that if the UK government do not share the assets of the Bank of England they'll decline to take on the Scottish share of the national debt are ridiculous.

If Scotland defaults on its debt the money markets will crucify it and the government will struggle to fund itself. Unless of course Scots are willing to work for free or endure higher taxes.

Greece still struggles to secure affordable financing despite the Eurozone providing it with relatively cheap money. The difference between Scotland and Greece is that the Eurozone will stand behind Greece. Not Scotland. Particularly when other European states such as France, Spain and Italy will reject Scotlands entrance to the EU to stifle their own internal separatist movements.

If Scotland left the pound, they should name it something like the Pict. That'd be a nice historical nod.

topman 3rd September 2014 12:29

Id forgotten it was happening tbh, I don't watch the need on tv or buy a newspaper. What do the local polls in Scotland say will happen? I note people might want something to happen, but what is likely to happen?

Simondi 3rd September 2014 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776160)

And that's the thing.
It won't be easy and undoubtedly there will be problems ahead, some of which no one will have thought of, however as a rich country with many resources ( including the people) we will get there.

A serious question I have not yet heard an answer too though.

The No's tell us all the time of how terrible an independent Scotland will be. How we cannot afford it, how no one will want to play with us, how we cannot manage on our own. What will the rest of the UK look like without Scotland?
No, or minimal oil revenue, much reduced fishing fleets, reduction in the size of the economy and of course a massive bill for WMD's and funding of millitary conflicts overseas? Will they retain a seat on the UN Security Council, will they be in the G8?

Yes, I know how I'm voting but if the dream comes true, what about you chaps?

lady zed 3rd September 2014 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 1776182)
Id forgotten it was happening tbh, I don't watch the need on tv or buy a newspaper. What do the local polls in Scotland say will happen? I note people might want something to happen, but what is likely to happen?

The latest poll would suggest it's pretty even, however I've never been asked in an official poll type capacity how I'm likely to vote and I don't know a living soul who has been asked so who they're asking is anyone's guess.

Out of my own peer group ie men and women similar age and social background I would say it's 90% yes. Younger voters would appear to be more likely to vote yes. I think it's the older generation who might be a bit more cautious.......

Simondi 3rd September 2014 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 1776193)
Forgive me Simondi - but I find it hard to believe that you seem to want to separate from the UK because you fear the UK could possibly want greater Independence from Europe?

Regardless of the sensibility of the UK moving away from Europe - do you not see the hypocrisy in your statement?

You want Scotland to move away from the UK but do not think the UK should have the option of a move away from Europe?

have I got you right on this?

I believe that Scotland should be in Europe and if the people of Scotland vote no then I would wish that the UK stays in Europe.

No hypocrisy that I can see:shrug:

topman 3rd September 2014 12:48

Thanks, i've just glanced at someone elses paper no is in front by 6% according to them. But who knows? how far away is the vote now?

Simondi 3rd September 2014 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776197)

Out of my own peer group ie men and women similar age and social background I would say it's 90% yes. Younger voters would appear to be more likely to vote yes. I think it's the older generation who might be a bit more cautious.......

I tend to agree, although I suppose a lot depends on where you live. We are both Glasgow area, central belt.
I took a drive south of Ayr at the weekend and saw a number of No Thanks signs, never seen them in my neck of the woods:shrug:

topman 3rd September 2014 12:55

Perhaps there might be another vote for the lot that loose, perhaps another break up?;)

lady zed 3rd September 2014 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1776211)
I tend to agree, although I suppose a lot depends on where you live. We are both Glasgow area, central belt.
I took a drive south of Ayr at the weekend and saw a number of No Thanks signs, never seen them in my neck of the woods:shrug:

I've seen a few 'no thanks' in Newton Mearns.........'nuff said......

lady zed 3rd September 2014 13:07

I pretty much see it the same way Simon does. I believe it's in Scotland's best interests to be in the EU, however the UK government is pulling us away from Europe and the speed at which UKIP and the BNP are gaining ground is England really unnerves me. To separate from the rest of the UK is the only way to guarantee 1. no UKIP or BNP in Scotland and 2. A desire to remain part of the EU, whether that happens or not still remains to be seen.

I would prefer to be an independent nation NOT in the EU than remain part or the UK and withdraw from the EU.

Pistonbroke666 3rd September 2014 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776239)
BNP are gaining ground is England really unnerves me.

You know the BNP are kinda down and out now...

Like they've lost a lot of what they'd gained. Fear not hehe.

Georgies Dad 3rd September 2014 18:20

If the good people of Scotland want Independance,let them have it,they are aware of the consequences good and bad.

I shall remain the same as I have always been,English and proud of it.

All this political argument is going a bit too far.

As far as I can see,The labour party with several MPs which are Scottish(41 I think) will suffer ,if they win the next election and then Scotland vote for Independance,those Scottish labour MPs will be gone, and the Government would be in turmoil as usual.

Nothing is ever simple is it.

Good luck to The Scots,they will get the result, the Scottish people vote for.

topman 3rd September 2014 18:29

How long till the vote now?

lady zed 3rd September 2014 18:35

2 weeks tomorrow!

topman 3rd September 2014 18:46

So close,i thought it was further away.

Simondi 3rd September 2014 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 1776521)
So close,i thought it was further away.

I know
The time has flown in, and what a journey.
Check my posts on this topic over the years and there had been a huge shift.
9 months ago there is no way I would vote yes, now I can't think of reasons to vote No.

thomas 75 connie 3rd September 2014 19:41

Please can people remember that this isn't Scotland vs England it's not its Scotland deciding whether it wants to be in a union with the other 3 countries.

It annoys me when people say about England.

topman 3rd September 2014 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1776595)
I know
9 months ago there is no way I would vote yes, now I can't think of reasons to vote No.

I suppose it had been a long time coming. Although i've not really kept up with the debate about it all, it's past me by. I've not seen or heard that much about it. But I don't buy a paper or watch the news on Tv.:o

lady zed 3rd September 2014 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie (Post 1776597)
Please can people remember that this isn't Scotland vs England it's not its Scotland deciding whether it wants to be in a union with the other 3 countries.

It annoys me when people say about England.

No but lets face it, England is the dominant party. If Scotland votes for independence Wales will be hot on our heels and NI has always been 50/50.......

lady zed 3rd September 2014 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 1776595)
I know

Exactly the same with me Simon. At the beginning this was a nice idea but all a bit far fetched and romantic. Now I'll be devastated if we vote to remain in the union!

topman 3rd September 2014 20:00

Not sure id see that happening. I don't think any more countries would split off.

Gman2 3rd September 2014 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776475)
Why does it irk you? It's simply where we are. And that is poles apart. It's not you, it's us, we want different things. The Union just isn't working for us anymore (and I'm not convinced it really did). We really, really don't want the Tories or UKIP in Scotland and why should we be forced into it? If England wants UKIP then that's completely up to you but we don't and that's one of my reasons for wanting the union dissolved.

Sorry but I beg to disagree - of course the Union worked. Glasgow was the Empires second city and got very wealthy on the back of it. Would it have been as prosperous in an independent Scotland? I doubt it. All the Scottish scientists, engineers etc succeeded under Union patronage that they may not have got under an independent Scotland. How do you think the British Isles would have fared in both world wars (particularly WW2) if Scotland was independent and went the way of neutral Eire? We'd likely be speaking German now! At the end of the day according to the polls this is going to be tight and the nightmare will be an almost even divide on the vote. The result - a divided nation where no one is the real winner :(

milleplod 3rd September 2014 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776475)
Why does it irk you? It's simply where we are. And that is poles apart. It's not you, it's us, we want different things. The Union just isn't working for us anymore (and I'm not convinced it really did). We really, really don't want the Tories or UKIP in Scotland and why should we be forced into it? If England wants UKIP then that's completely up to you but we don't and that's one of my reasons for wanting the union dissolved.

I'm quite ambivalent, I couldn't care less one way or t'other.

But....what do you want that's so different to what we want? I'm intrigued.

Pete

FLYER 3rd September 2014 20:53

Change for the sake of change ??

I think not.

Yes it will be difficult but we Scots relish a challange .

I see a change in everyday peoples attitudes and the dont knows are coming around to a YES way of thinking.

Nothing lasts for ever and the Union is no different.

And yes its getting near to the vote and all my passengers are talking about it.

I can see a very high turnout.

milleplod 3rd September 2014 20:57

I think the Scots see some sort of Utopia ahead. I don't think 'independence' will lead them to it.

Pete

FLYER 3rd September 2014 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by milleplod (Post 1776712)
I think the Scots see some sort of Utopia ahead. I don't think 'independence' will lead them to it.

Pete

Ah the land of milk and honey and manna from heaven.

Give us credit for some brains mate.

milleplod 3rd September 2014 21:02

What do you see ahead, when 'independent'? What will be better?

Pete

Graham1961 3rd September 2014 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 1776716)
Ah the land of milk and honey and manna from heaven.

Give us credit for some brains mate.

There is no doubt how Helga's going to vote.

Me..i'm don't like jumping into the unknown, kinda scary really.

FLYER 3rd September 2014 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by milleplod (Post 1776719)
What do you see ahead, when 'independent'? What will be better?

Pete

Not having our tax powers controlled from westminster will do for me.

Your country has never been subject to outside control so you dont know how that feels.

thomas 75 connie 3rd September 2014 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776621)
No but lets face it, England is the dominant party. If Scotland votes for independence Wales will be hot on our heels and NI has always been 50/50.......

But england in its current state has far less power than the rest of the uk.
We have no seperate goverment(we have one that rules all)
We cannot vote on your issues but you can vote on ours.

I wish scotland all the best in whatever it decides

FLYER 3rd September 2014 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 (Post 1776725)
There is no doubt how Helga's going to vote.

Me..i'm don't like jumping into the unknown, kinda scary really.

Your a tory turned UKIP so get tae yer bed ....:D

milleplod 3rd September 2014 21:12

Persecution's a terrible thing. Victimhood too. As I said, Utopia may not be ahead! ;)

Pete

FLYER 3rd September 2014 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by milleplod (Post 1776737)
Persecution's a terrible thing. Victimhood too. As I said, Utopia may not be ahead! ;)

Pete

Whats the beast of Bolsovers take on it.
:D

milleplod 3rd September 2014 21:16

Me or Dennis?! :D

topman 3rd September 2014 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 1776730)

Your country has never been subject to outside control so you dont know how that feels.

Reading the thoughts of people on here, I'd say there's a few who'd disagree with that!

sikelsh 3rd September 2014 21:18

Do EU citizens who live in Scotland also get to vote? Not heard on how this would impact them?

milleplod 3rd September 2014 21:19

I think if you're on the Electoral Roll, you get a vote.

Pete

FLYER 3rd September 2014 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by milleplod (Post 1776748)

Pete

correct........

sikelsh 3rd September 2014 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by milleplod (Post 1776748)

Pete

So if your are from the EU (Resident English included) and the result is yes, then Scotland is not part of the EU what is Mr Potato Head offering to these people?

FLYER 3rd September 2014 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikelsh (Post 1776757)
So if your are from the EU (Resident English included) and the result is yes, then Scotland is not part of the EU what is Mr Potato Head offering to these people?

It,s that kind of disrespectful talk that turns Scots against the union .

Salnond isnt the point here , its a vote to seperate not a vote for Salmond or the SNP.

We could get a labour government at our next Scottish electiion..

Lets keep it civil Simon.

sikelsh 3rd September 2014 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 1776768)
It,s that kind of disrespectful talk that turns Scots against the union .

Salnond isnt the point here , its a vote to seperate not a vote for Salmond or the SNP.

We could get a labour government at our next Scottish electiion..

Lets keep it civil Simon.

Seems a bit dramatic! Which bit is uncivil? :shrug:

If replace "Mr Potato Head" with Potential Scottish Government does that help the question being answered?

FLYER 3rd September 2014 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikelsh (Post 1776776)
Seems a bit dramatic! Which bit is uncivil? :shrug:

If replace "Mr Potato Head" with Potential Scottish Government does that help the question being answered?

Little old me cant answer your question but me asking for some civility aint out of order dont you think ??:D

And BTW this thread has been running for some :Dtime with no threat of closure so keeping it that way seems sensible to me .

rich17865 4th September 2014 06:56

Odds on are,

No 3/10
Yes 11/4

FLYER 4th September 2014 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich17865 (Post 1776900)
Odds on are,

No 3/10
Yes 11/4

NO was 1/7 last week.....:D

Pistonbroke666 4th September 2014 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 1776730)

I'm from England.
We don't have our own Parliament or Assembly.

Other Union member states can vote on how England is governed. Scottish MP's can vote to make us pay for prescriptions whilst voting against the same for their own constituents.

Think we English know how it feels to be governed by an outside source.

Simondi 4th September 2014 07:58

Did the English regions not vote for and reject devolution around 10 years ago:shrug:

Seems if you were offered it again the results may be different?

FLYER 4th September 2014 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 (Post 1776932)
I'm from England.
We don't have our own Parliament or Assembly.
:D
Other Union member states can vote on how England is governed. Scottish MP's can vote to make us pay for prescriptions whilst voting against the same for their own constituents.

Think we English know how it feels to be governed by an outside source.

Hopefully you wont have to suffer that much longer..:D