The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Scottish independence. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=176386)

sikelsh 3rd September 2014 11:59

I honestly thought Scotland would want its own currency, something called perhaps The Scottish Dram and the coins would be ginger in colour ;)

lady zed 3rd September 2014 12:02

The issue of the pound or the lack of clarity surrounding it is not enough to dissuade me from wanting to be a free nation with the power to make our own decisions for the good of the people of Scotland. I'm raising my children 20 miles from weapons of mass destruction. No thanks.

No-one said it was going to be easy but it will be worth it.

lady zed 3rd September 2014 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikelsh (Post 1776156)
I honestly thought Scotland would want its own currency, something called perhaps The Scottish Dram and the coins would be ginger in colour ;)

Sounds good to me :D

Pistonbroke666 3rd September 2014 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776160)
The issue of the pound or the lack of clarity surrounding it is not enough to dissuade me from wanting to be a free nation with the power to make our own decisions for the good of the people of Scotland. I'm raising my children 20 miles from weapons of mass destruction. No thanks.

The issue of the pound isn't something that's meant to dissuade you from independence.
It's something that should make you challenge the nationalist leaderships rhetoric and policy if you want the new nation to get off on a good footing.

If you don't control your own currency then you're not independent. At present, Scotland has a say on monetary policy as a member of the UK. If it leaves the club, it leaves that privilege behind. If it left the pound it's a privilege it wouldn't miss but if it keeps sterling it won't have that member bonus any more.

Statements from Salmond where he says that if the UK government do not share the assets of the Bank of England they'll decline to take on the Scottish share of the national debt are ridiculous.

If Scotland defaults on its debt the money markets will crucify it and the government will struggle to fund itself. Unless of course Scots are willing to work for free or endure higher taxes.

Greece still struggles to secure affordable financing despite the Eurozone providing it with relatively cheap money. The difference between Scotland and Greece is that the Eurozone will stand behind Greece. Not Scotland. Particularly when other European states such as France, Spain and Italy will reject Scotlands entrance to the EU to stifle their own internal separatist movements.

If Scotland left the pound, they should name it something like the Pict. That'd be a nice historical nod.

topman 3rd September 2014 12:29

Id forgotten it was happening tbh, I don't watch the need on tv or buy a newspaper. What do the local polls in Scotland say will happen? I note people might want something to happen, but what is likely to happen?

Simondi 3rd September 2014 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776160)

And that's the thing.
It won't be easy and undoubtedly there will be problems ahead, some of which no one will have thought of, however as a rich country with many resources ( including the people) we will get there.

A serious question I have not yet heard an answer too though.

The No's tell us all the time of how terrible an independent Scotland will be. How we cannot afford it, how no one will want to play with us, how we cannot manage on our own. What will the rest of the UK look like without Scotland?
No, or minimal oil revenue, much reduced fishing fleets, reduction in the size of the economy and of course a massive bill for WMD's and funding of millitary conflicts overseas? Will they retain a seat on the UN Security Council, will they be in the G8?

Yes, I know how I'm voting but if the dream comes true, what about you chaps?

lady zed 3rd September 2014 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 1776182)
Id forgotten it was happening tbh, I don't watch the need on tv or buy a newspaper. What do the local polls in Scotland say will happen? I note people might want something to happen, but what is likely to happen?

The latest poll would suggest it's pretty even, however I've never been asked in an official poll type capacity how I'm likely to vote and I don't know a living soul who has been asked so who they're asking is anyone's guess.

Out of my own peer group ie men and women similar age and social background I would say it's 90% yes. Younger voters would appear to be more likely to vote yes. I think it's the older generation who might be a bit more cautious.......

Simondi 3rd September 2014 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 1776193)
Forgive me Simondi - but I find it hard to believe that you seem to want to separate from the UK because you fear the UK could possibly want greater Independence from Europe?

Regardless of the sensibility of the UK moving away from Europe - do you not see the hypocrisy in your statement?

You want Scotland to move away from the UK but do not think the UK should have the option of a move away from Europe?

have I got you right on this?

I believe that Scotland should be in Europe and if the people of Scotland vote no then I would wish that the UK stays in Europe.

No hypocrisy that I can see:shrug:

topman 3rd September 2014 12:48

Thanks, i've just glanced at someone elses paper no is in front by 6% according to them. But who knows? how far away is the vote now?

Simondi 3rd September 2014 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchick (Post 1776197)

Out of my own peer group ie men and women similar age and social background I would say it's 90% yes. Younger voters would appear to be more likely to vote yes. I think it's the older generation who might be a bit more cautious.......

I tend to agree, although I suppose a lot depends on where you live. We are both Glasgow area, central belt.
I took a drive south of Ayr at the weekend and saw a number of No Thanks signs, never seen them in my neck of the woods:shrug: