The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Discussion (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Will 3D Printers help our spare part problem? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=152197)

KazzebaZ 9th July 2013 17:28

Will 3D Printers help our spare part problem?

I recently saw a program in the Netherland about the company "Sheapways". They produce any article with 3D Printers in PVC, metal, etc. Is this forum a place where someone runs such a printer to make our spare parts? And does anyone have expierience with this kind of printer? :viking:

Gate Keeper 11th July 2013 11:20

That is a good question and if I had the time I was thinking of it as an investment. It has potential for many applications.

Heddy 11th July 2013 12:53

Well one of the things that seem to be getting rare, unless you want to pay top whack are wheel centre logos. I've been chasing some recently, I had to buy whole centre caps the wrong size just to remove the logos from them. yeah, sounds good.

Woof25 11th July 2013 13:05

well so far as I know the most recent use was to make entire parts for a handgun !! typical of the americans I believe the company has now withdrawn the programme for making the gun. But as you say it may hve some limited applications

Jay160 11th July 2013 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woof25 (Post 1359270)
well so far as I know the most recent use was to make entire parts for a handgun !! typical of the americans I believe the company has now withdrawn the programme for making the gun. But as you say it may hve some limited applications

Not completely ;)

RKDE 11th July 2013 17:04

I own a stratasys 3d printer and while the parts that come off it are a solid ABS and are very strong they will never replace the real thing and this is the same for all rapid prototype items.

I have often printed something off for my car or the odd job and its been fine but I would not use it for anything critical...

3D printing is fine but the trend for the cheap FDM printers has brought many low quality printers out. All 3D FDM printers need a heated chamber or they are useless. Mine is huge but a professional outfit

spyder 11th July 2013 19:35

What if the printed prototype were used for a positive for a mould ?

I am thinking of getting one for my school workshop, lots of cheap models out there. I wonder where the "cheap" ones end and the decent ones starts ?

BaroqueMoon 19th July 2013 12:14

I read recently that NASA used a layered metal 3d printer to make a small rocket engine. They had a video of a successful test firing too. Can't imagine how many years it will be before it's cheap enough for us normal beings though.

DerekS 20th August 2013 12:49

Why not get the printer to print copies of itself ? which could then print copies of themselves , which could then pr .......
As in 'The scorcers apprentice ' :getmecoat:

sikelsh 20th August 2013 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKDE (Post 1359414)
I own a stratasys 3d printer and while the parts that come off it are a solid ABS and are very strong they will never replace the real thing and this is the same for all rapid prototype items.

I have often printed something off for my car or the odd job and its been fine but I would not use it for anything critical...

3D printing is fine but the trend for the cheap FDM printers has brought many low quality printers out. All 3D FDM printers need a heated chamber or they are useless. Mine is huge but a professional outfit

Well put it to good use and fashion the bumper exhaust trims for the right hand side :)