The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hiccup Requires Permanent Fixing (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=307082)

planenut 10th August 2020 07:55

Hiccup Requires Permanent Fixing

Having just completed an eight hundred mile jaunt to visit my aged Aunt in Durham the car drove brilliantly except for one thing. Returning to my camp site one evening, I heard a dull pop, "phht" was how my comics would have worded it. This was accompanied by high surging of the engine revs, and luckily I was able to pull in immediately. I found that the small hose from the purge pump to the throttle housing had come out of said housing. I repositioned it, but I am not happy with the fit which I cannot make permanent, tape does not seem to secure it too well. Apart from glue, has anybody encountered this and solved it successfully?

Rev Jules 10th August 2020 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2830066)
Having just completed an eight hundred mile jaunt to visit my aged Aunt in Durham the car drove brilliantly except for one thing. Returning to my camp site one evening, I heard a dull pop, "phht" was how my comics would have worded it. This was accompanied by high surging of the engine revs, and luckily I was able to pull in immediately. I found that the small hose from the purge pump to the throttle housing had come out of said housing. I repositioned it, but I am not happy with the fit which I cannot make permanent, tape does not seem to secure it too well. Apart from glue, has anybody encountered this and solved it successfully?

Fred, I find standing on your head and drinking a glass of water a cure for hiccups. LOL!

Regards Rev.

COLVERT 10th August 2020 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2830068)
Fred, I find standing on your head and drinking a glass of water a cure for hiccups. LOL!

Regards Rev.

Wow, REV.--Do you mean Fred won't mind you standing on his head ???--------------:D:D:D

bl52krz 10th August 2020 19:54

The Rev is always standing on his head. He thinks it’s the correct way up? In answer to Fred’s ask, you may find you have to buy another hose. If it’s the original one, it may have perished.

COLVERT 10th August 2020 20:04

Now, back to the OP.

Mr P Nut.---How was the pipe held fast in the first place ???

Glued, screwed or was there a sticky out bit it was pushed on to ???----------------:D

planenut 10th August 2020 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2830193)
Now, back to the OP.

Mr P Nut.---How was the pipe held fast in the first place ???

Glued, screwed or was there a sticky out bit it was pushed on to ???----------------:D

Thank you, the answer is "none of the above".

The end of the pipe is of a plastic type and fits into a non-threaded hole in the throttle housing. There is nothing to provide any friction to keep the thing in place. I suspect that I will have to just find a similar diameter piece that holds tighter than the original.

The Mighty Quinn 10th August 2020 22:21

A small cable tie might do the trick..

Cheers,
Karl.

planenut 11th August 2020 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn (Post 2830234)
A small cable tie might do the trick..

Cheers,
Karl.

Thanks, I will look at that possibility.

Teflon 11th August 2020 11:02

How about wrapping the end of the pipe in electrical tape to make the outside diameter a little larger?

Cliff

planenut 11th August 2020 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2830283)
How about wrapping the end of the pipe in electrical tape to make the outside diameter a little larger?

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. That was my first three attempts. Then sellf-amalgamating tape, then the final botch, and though it has held for 300 miles, it is only temporary.