The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Timing Belts - Shelf Life? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=172642)

Dorset Bob 4th February 2014 22:49

Timing Belts - Shelf Life?

My KV6 is coming up for a belt change on the time limit.

As we know the recommended change is 90,000 miles or 6 years.
My question is this: What if the belts (being new, old stock) are already over 6 years old? :shrug:

I know that they will not be in service and under tension, but does anyone know what the shelf life is?

Thanks,

Bob. :}

scorpio stu 4th February 2014 22:55

That's a very very good question.

HarryM1BYT 4th February 2014 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 1565057)
My KV6 is coming up for a belt change on the time limit.

As we know the recommended change is 90,000 miles or 6 years.
My question is this: What if the belts (being new, old stock) are already over 6 years old? :shrug:

I know that they will not be in service and under tension, but does anyone know what the shelf life is?

Thanks,

Bob. :}

I would suggest, like tyres, the clock starts at date of manufacture, but add say an extra year.

So 3 years on the shelf, means around 4 years of life left.

robwijnstok 5th February 2014 05:32

Very good question indeed...
My son works at a car service parts firm. I will ask him if there is normally any production date on the belts or box...

beinet1 5th February 2014 05:50

This is a very good question :)

For many years ago, I bought a genuine head gasket for my VW passat -94. An expire date was printed on the package... If this one refered to "shelf life" or "end of life" I do not know. I also see that all off the rubber seals used here at work, O-rings i.e. have an "expire date" on the package. I guess the same applies to rubber belts, coolant hoses etc...

Something to add:

http://www.gates.com/facts/documents/Gf000006.pdf

http://www.gates.com/facts/documents/Gf000058.pdf

SD1too 5th February 2014 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 1565057)
What if the belts (being new, old stock) are already over 6 years old?

Why would they be? There are plenty of K series engines in service requiring timing belt changes so stock will surely be constantly rotated. There's probably a better chance of this if you buy from a major motor factor who supplies all the garages in the area (except the ex-MGR main dealers who will buy branded OEM from X-Part).

The second point to consider: do you throw away food irrespective of its condition once the 'use by' date has been reached? I bought 500g of delicious chantenay carrots (at their expiry date) for 10p, and I'm still alive to tell the tale. I might even eat some more tonight. :D

I would also argue that a belt fitted to an engine subjected to frequent starting and stopping will be under more stress than one lounging on a warm and dry stockist's shelf, and therefore will have a shorter life. If you accept that as reasonable, then it calls into question the whole ethos of replacement by time period alone.

Simon

seancar 5th February 2014 08:38

I would think that kv6 belts are not made in ghe same quanty as others. Most motor factors dont hold kv6 belts in stock. And the price of them has not dropped much which says to me they only make small amounts at a time compared with others. as for the 1.8 belt kit these fit so many other rover models and have come down in price over the years so I would think these are mass produced and will never sit about on the shelf. I know my main supplier can sell 6 kits a day

whitevanman 5th February 2014 08:43

Although they will deteriorate slightly I believe that the stresses of use and constant heat cycles, crud environment are what does for the belts, so a belt sitting on a shelf for six years is hardly the same as one that's been on a car..

Saying that though when on motorcycle forums anyone looking at buying a Ducati that's been sitting around for a year or two is always advised to change the belts..but I wonder if they would be advised the same if it wasn't as easy or accessible :shrug: still not cheap mind...

robwijnstok 5th February 2014 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by robwijnstok (Post 1565115)
Very good question indeed...
My son works at a car service parts firm. I will ask him if there is normally any production date on the belts or box...

Just received a SMS of my son.
No date of production on any of the belts of any brand that they sell...

I dont know if anybody ever experienced a snapped cambelt within the 6 years or 150.000km or 90.000miles. I would like to know if in such cases this was sorted under warranty.

HarryM1BYT 5th February 2014 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by robwijnstok (Post 1565302)
Just received a SMS of my son.
No date of production on any of the belts of any brand that they sell...

I dont know if anybody ever experienced a snapped cambelt within the 6 years or 150.000km or 90.000miles. I would like to know if in such cases this was sorted under warranty.

I remember there was one car, a Ford I think(?), where the recommended interval was 60Kmiles of 6 years. So many broke within that interval and so many engines wrecked, that they had to reduce it to 4 years/40K.