The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diesel not starting properly (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294398)

Ravinder 27th March 2019 22:29

Diesel not starting properly

Hi,

My daily shed has just had its clutch done. The car has always started on the button. Since getting the car back after clutch being done, it now takes several seconds of turning before it fires up. It does this each time, even if I’ve just been out in it and go to start it again. This morning, I was at the bank and when attempting to start it again, it took about 30 seconds for it to fire up. It’s turning over several times before it fires up. I had quarter tank diesel in it. Battery? I suspect maybe something has been disturbed but not sure...?
Any ideas?
Thanks, Ravinder

timon 28th March 2019 08:55

The car drives fine other than the starting issue? The clutch repair may just be a coincidence. When I had this problem my starter was bad. It cranked but too slow. Best is to wire the car up to a (cheap) OBD II scanner and check the crank speed at the starters turn. It should be 150 rpm in the very least.

Sprinter 28th March 2019 09:16

When mine started to get reluctant to start (never took as long as 30 seconds though) I tried a fw things before I did a leak back test and found a faulty injector. Once replaced we're back on the button again.

Arctic 28th March 2019 17:33

HI Ravinder.
Try it with over a 1/4 tank of fuel then see how it starts if the same report back.

Mike Noc 28th March 2019 19:24

The usual suspects for slow starting but running fine once started are injector leakback or a failing cam sensor.

Also try unplugging the LP fuel pressure sensor (it is the plug on the top of the fuel filter) as a test next time it struggles to start and see if that improves things.

Kerthan23 28th March 2019 23:14

Poor starting

Hi rav, when you have had clutch done they may have had fuel filter and possibly ubp disconnected/removed worth a check if pipes are fully pushed or clipped correctly in. :}

Ravinder 29th March 2019 09:34

Thanks, everyone. Will look at these suggestions.
The car seems to drive fine once it’s started. It started perfectly every time before clutch was done.

Ravinder 21st April 2019 09:47

Update. Put more diesel in the tank. Now showing more then half. It seems to be starting Ok now. So, I put this down to my faulty in tank pump. Sourcing a replacement as we speak. :}

bl52krz 22nd April 2019 10:17

Get in touch with Jules in Conwy. Have a look at his shop on here.

Ravinder 5th May 2019 00:13

Replacement in tank pump fitted today so will keep an eye on it and see how it behaves. With the seat removed, I could hear the old one when key in position two so does this mean it was working? All the symptoms I have points towards a faultyin tank pump. The replacement now fitted does sound slightly louder then the old one so maybe it was faulty...?