The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Valeting Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Ceramic Coating (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=284027)

Fusilier 29th May 2018 17:37

Ceramic Coating

Has anybody had their car ceramic coated, thinking of doing it to one of my fleet, but wondering if anybody has had it done, the coating costs around £70 for a good kit, and I would do it myself, after removing all the current wax and polish

Many thanks

Stu

Les4048 29th May 2018 18:05

I’m about to do mine when I’m on holiday in a few weeks. It has to be absolutely spot on as trying to fix a mistake later sometimes requires a wet sand

Fusilier 29th May 2018 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les4048 (Post 2634882)
I’m about to do mine when I’m on holiday in a few weeks. It has to be absolutely spot on as trying to fix a mistake later sometimes requires a wet sand

Les

Yes it does, it has to be spotless, plan is to try it on wheels first, but car will be washed then machine polished, and wiped down with IPA a few times, and then finally awipe down with:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...prod_1618.html

What kit are you planning to use t? I am looking at that and also the Sonax Profiline Ceramic Coating CC36 and the Car Pro Quartz CCUK

Stu

Jules 29th May 2018 19:50

I've been following this subject but it seems you need laboratory like conditions to do it properly (ie spray booth filtered conditions etc)

Otherwise dust and particles is going to spoilt the results.
Doing it outside sounds like a no no anyway :shrug:

FLYING BANANA 29th May 2018 19:57

I would like to know more on this. Be very interested in getting Banana done.

Fusilier 29th May 2018 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 2634954)
I've been following this subject but it seems you need laboratory like conditions to do it properly (ie spray booth filtered conditions etc)

Otherwise dust and particles is going to spoilt the results.
Doing it outside sounds like a no no anyway :shrug:

Jules

Agreed, and not to be done outside, I would do it in my Man Cave, which is quite clean, and with the newer products it flashes off in around 40/50 seconds, so quite safe to use.

Will let you know how I get on after doing the wheels first

Stu

Fusilier 29th May 2018 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2634960)
I would like to know more on this. Be very interested in getting Banana done.

Bob

to get it done professionally by a certified detailer, it will cost around £600+

Stu

Les4048 29th May 2018 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusilier (Post 2634914)
Les

What kit are you planning to use t? I am looking at that and also the Sonax Profiline Ceramic Coating CC36 and the Car Pro Quartz CCUK

Stu

Hi Stuart, I’ve bought GTECHNIQ Exo and their Crystal Serum Light along with their panel wipe. I bought 5lts of normal trade panel wipe so I’ll use it first

Teflon 29th May 2018 21:18

I've considered having this done in the past, but to be honest, I kind of enjoy all the messing about with claying, polishing, waxing etc so I've never bothered :cool:.

Having said that though, these coatings are supposed to help in the eternal battle against "swirls" etc, so maybe worth considering even for the most ardent detailer. I shall be watching this thread with interest :}.

Cliff

Nobby 29th May 2018 21:22

I coated my Range Rover and am very pleased with the results. The car and wheels stay incredibly clean and even when muddy just requires a simple hot water wash down. The risks of creating swirl marks and holograms are minimised, scratch resistance is improved, bird poo damage is minimised and waxing and polishing is now not necessary as the shine is maintained without.
I used Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light, topped off with Exo. Dead easy to apply providing you follow the simple instructions but must be done under cover and temperature ideally kept a 16 - 20 degrees so use of a good sized garage is a must. Not a job to rush as preparation is absolutely key to get the best finish and I took 1½ full days doing this as follows:
Rinse down
Snow Foam with Valet Pro Combo 2 to remove all waxes,silicones, grease etc
Rinse down again.
2 bucket wash to remove any residue
Clay bodywork and wheels and rinse again
Paint correction and machine polish with Farécla G3 compound
Snow Foam with Valet Pro PH neutral, rinse off and dry to remove dust etc from the polishing,particularly in areas around seams and trim.
Then apply treatment iaw the instructions (plenty of videos on You Tube on this) and keep car undercover for minimum 12 hours to allow for curing.

The beauty of using Crystal Serum Light is that if you do boo boo when applying e.g leaving residue liquid to set, it can be easily removed with a single stage machine polish.
IMHO if you don’t have the time or inclination to polish and wax your car this is the way to go :cool: